U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,133,751 times

Advertisements

I have an old suitcase that is light blue we bought my daughter when she went to Europe when she was in college. It has a very unique cosmetic bag to match. I am afraid one day it is going to fall apart on a trip but I love the way it holds everything just right. My daughter has always been a good shopper. We have several other suitcases that are stronger but I don't like them. I just keep holding onto everything hoping one of my grandchildren will ask for one. Yes, Packrat! Guess our children will have a gigantic yard sale one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 PM

9,301 posts, read 4,742,807 times
No but my nephew is in this category. He is into buying used stuff at a thrift store because he wants to be different.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 PM

10,153 posts, read 13,849,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We are a one-in-one-out family.
If we get new cookware, the old ones go.
If we get a new travel bag, the old one goes.

If we do not want to get rid of the old, we do not bring in the new.....
Good advice......rather that is a good way your household does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No but my nephew is in this category. He is into buying used stuff at a thrift store because he wants to be different.
Well one alternative could be to ask Aunt or Uncle for a loan so he can buy all new stuff.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 PM

11,897 posts, read 14,368,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I get something new, I don't even feel comfortable using it -- I'd rather wear the old thing out first.

A couple weeks ago, I scored a nice, fairly new teflon frying pan and sauce pan from a vacated apartment. I haven't used either of them yet. I got a travel bag when I opened a new bank account, but on a trip last year, I took an old one. I have a pair of shoes so badly worn, I didn't trust them on a long trip. So I bought a new pair and broke them in, and now I want to wear the old ones out at home, instead of the new ones to be saved for travel.

Anybody else feel this way about new things?
Judging from what I've seen in some stores you're not alone. I see ripped jeans for sale. Actually I wouldn't want them if you gave them to me.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,255,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I get something new, I don't even feel comfortable using it -- I'd rather wear the old thing out first.

A couple weeks ago, I scored a nice, fairly new teflon frying pan and sauce pan from a vacated apartment. I haven't used either of them yet. I got a travel bag when I opened a new bank account, but on a trip last year, I took an old one. I have a pair of shoes so badly worn, I didn't trust them on a long trip. So I bought a new pair and broke them in, and now I want to wear the old ones out at home, instead of the new ones to be saved for travel.

Anybody else feel this way about new things?
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! I've been this way all my life about certain things. One thing in particular is new writing or copy paper, notebooks, binders. I just hate messing up their newness!

I've used binders at home or at work, or writing notebooks, and when forced to use a new one, won't take the sticky labels off them. I want to keep them as new as possible. And I wait a long time before using them. It's weird.

I also wear new shoes sparingly. I hate to see them become "used."

Old 12-12-2015, 12:34 PM

11,389 posts, read 6,435,973 times
Being this way about homes and cars can really save money. A lot of older homes that aren't in perfect condition are thousands cheaper, but are still functional for the rest of one's life. Driving a car with 150k+ miles can save a lot too. In a way it reduces stress when your stuff is old and perhaps not in perfect condition. For example, you don't worry about the 12 yr old Toyota getting dings or scratch.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I'm a film photographer, and much prefer a scuffed up old beater camera to a shiny mint one. Photographers can be incredibly anal, unlike painters, and many are addicted to simply buying gear. They seem to seldom even use it. Not me. It's just a tool. Having an old beater is great because you don't have to worry about getting it scuffed up and losing resale value. They come pre-scuffed.

The only thing we bought new in many years was our bikes, because if you get a cheap big box bike all you get is trouble. Better to buy a $300 or $400 bike at a bike shop than some Piece O Junk from Walmart for $100. When I lived in S.F., the bike theft rate was so high that people would buy a $1000+ bike and immediately spray everything flat black (even the tires) to make it look old and less worthy of stealing.
So the WalMart bikes aren't any good? I was going to get one for casual use. $300+ is pricey for casual use. Did you check out used ones? I was also thinking that a lot of people sell their bikes when it turns out they don't use them as much as they thought they would.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:11 PM

When I buy something that doesn't HAVE to be used or worn right away, it's usually because it's close to the time that I'll need it, and I find it on a great sale. For example, athletic shoes. I always have several pair in various states of use (I walk every day). I wear them all on different days. For the brand new ones, I will hold off for awhile, because I can still use the other three pair and be safe with foot support. I bought the new pair because I will need it soon. Then, when I'm ready to substitute one of the revolving pair with the new one, I do so. And the beaten up pair becomes the pair by the back door that I keep to walk out into a muddy yard or wear around the house for sloppy projects.

I have on occasion bought towels on a great sale, and then hold off using them for a while (until the old one gets one more hole in it, or guests are coming).

But if it's not an item I need or will need soon, I try not to buy it. I'm usu. successful, but I've made a few impulse buys that I regret.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,814,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
So the WalMart bikes aren't any good? I was going to get one for casual use. $300+ is pricey for casual use. Did you check out used ones? I was also thinking that a lot of people sell their bikes when it turns out they don't use them as much as they thought they would.
Our experience with Wal-Mart bikes is that they are lower quality. We've experienced things like a stripped screws or handle bars that slip or break wires that shear. or a seat that won't stay in place. The bike shop bikes maneuver better and are easier to handle and, in general, are less clunky??? When something breaks, it's worth getting it fixed. As an adult, you don't outgrow your bike like the kids do, so you get something quality that lasts. You may be able to find some nice ones used. I've had mine for a few years. I've gotten my value out of it even though I bought new.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:38 AM

196 posts, read 119,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Our experience with Wal-Mart bikes is that they are lower quality. We've experienced things like a stripped screws or handle bars that slip or break wires that shear. or a seat that won't stay in place. The bike shop bikes maneuver better and are easier to handle and, in general, are less clunky??? When something breaks, it's worth getting it fixed. As an adult, you don't outgrow your bike like the kids do, so you get something quality that lasts. You may be able to find some nice ones used. I've had mine for a few years. I've gotten my value out of it even though I bought new.
I am that way about almost everything I purchase new. Shoes are a prime example. If you go to Walmart and pay 20 bucks for a pair of shoes, expect them to last maybe three months. I always stress to people to take good care of their feet if they want them to carry you around all your life so I will spend money on good shoes and I make them last for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or