U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:01 PM

139 posts, read 111,613 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a travel luggage set. I am confused between the following:

American Tourister Brookfield Black Spinner Set, 3-Piece - Walmart.com

American Tourister iLite Xtreme Spinner Upright - Walmart.com (choose 25 inch and some color)

Both cost $79. I am wondering what could be wrong with the first 3 piece one. I know second one definitely might have better quality, but I believe that there must be some minimum standard for American tourister luggage. Both have 10 year warranty and I am inclining towards first one as it is cheaper. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM

1,196 posts, read 782,667 times
Depends on what you need, how many you need, and how often you use it or them.

I work at an airport. American Traveller bags seem to be a respectable, middle class, moderately sturdy bag. I don't see lots of them with base frame cracked, extendable handles bent, jammed or detached or wheels falling off.

On the other hand, Walmart Protege bags are light duty, infrequent travel only -- because I do see a lot of them falling apart.

Bear in mind that bags often get rough handling in checked baggage. The traverse through the belly of the airport on belts, carousels, and tossed by hefty guys.

The only two colors appropriate for checked bags are black and dark grey... because they will end up with black streaks on them.

Tie a distinctive luggage tag on your checked bag

I hope that helps.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:39 PM

139 posts, read 111,613 times
Thanks for your inputs. I will need it for international travel probably once a year or once in two years. I need one 25 inch for now, but if I have that 21 inch (part of 3 piece set), I could use it as a carry in luggage ( I checked the travel specs of my airlines and it does fit the criteria.). I don't have any small ones and would be dumping my backpack if I am not using that. Apart from this, the 21 inch would definitely be useful at some point in future for shorter trips or when I am traveling with less luggage.

My main question is.. will there be any value for paying more for the second one? Won't the 3 piece set do the job?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
You may not like this answer but you can find some nice luggage in thrift stores. I bought mine in a regular store and I think it's Samsonite but once you figure out what sizes you need, look for some nice Samsonite or American Tourister or other good brand. Take a tape measure to the thrift store so you can make sure you're not getting something too big to be allowed on the plane.

On my last international trip I took one large bag to check and, being a woman, just took a very large tote bag and my purse. I didn't even take my smaller matching luggage bag. dh took his large bag and a laptop case in which he stuffed some more things. That was plenty for a three week trip.

Get a good name brand. Make sure it has features you like, such as outside pockets or pockets around the inside, a really good sturdy handle that won't break. I had cheap luggage once and the handle wasn't strong enough on the large suitcase and the suitcase kept twisting and falling. Believe me you don't want that when you're running through an airport or a crowded subway. Go for quality--you can actually find it in thrift stores.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,479,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I will need it for international travel probably once a year or once in two years. I need one 25 inch for now, but if I have that 21 inch (part of 3 piece set), I could use it as a carry in luggage ( I checked the travel specs of my airlines and it does fit the criteria.).
You should be aware, since you mentioned traveling internationally, that many foreign airlines put weight restrictions as well as size restrictions on carryon bags, and most 21 inch wheeled bags won't meet those weight limits. That won't be an issue if you're certain you're only going to be flying on US airlines, but do bear in mind that if you everdecide you want to fly a foreign carrier you'll want something lighter for your carryon.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:37 AM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Costco Kirkland $99 roller. 22". Pack lightly.

TravelPro makes a better bag for the more frequent traveler but it's more expensive.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Thrift shops often have luggage. I would suggest buying your first pieces there, and after one trip you will have a pretty good idea of what you want and what you don't want. Then you can invest in luggage, or you might be happy to just keep your thrift shop bargain.

Myself, I use a soft shoulder-strap zipper-bag with a 10x20 inch bottom, but I travel very light and without any need for anything dressy. It stood seven on-off airport loads last summer, and survived just fine. But don't check anything with a shoulder-strap, remove the strap and stow it inside. Most people can walk a half-mile with a 20-pound shoulder bag. I'm 77 and I can.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thrift shops often have luggage. I would suggest buying your first pieces there, and after one trip you will have a pretty good idea of what you want and what you don't want. Then you can invest in luggage, or you might be happy to just keep your thrift shop bargain.

Myself, I use a soft shoulder-strap zipper-bag with a 10x20 inch bottom, but I travel very light and without any need for anything dressy. It stood seven on-off airport loads last summer, and survived just fine. But don't check anything with a shoulder-strap, remove the strap and stow it inside. Most people can walk a half-mile with a 20-pound shoulder bag. I'm 77 and I can.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who recommended thrift store luggage. I'm always amazed at the high quality, low prices luggage they have. That idea about the shoulder bag=yes. My huge tote that I used as a carry on has an adjustable shoulder strap and that makes it really easy to carry or stand in line with. My tote has loads of pockets, many with zippers. The zippered ones are good for holding the passport and any other printed information you may need to show while standing in line. (Once out of the airport I hide my passport somewhere within the suitcase.)

Old 12-13-2015, 09:26 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
I don't like compartments. I always forget which compartment I put things in, so I have to search them all. I use a square refrigerator tub with a snap lid, and fill that with all the odd little things, so they don't get lost in the general cargo. A snap-top school pencil box would work for that, too.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 PM

27,190 posts, read 11,359,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You may not like this answer but you can find some nice luggage in thrift stores. I bought mine in a regular store and I think it's Samsonite but once you figure out what sizes you need, look for some nice Samsonite or American Tourister or other good brand. Take a tape measure to the thrift store so you can make sure you're not getting something too big to be allowed on the plane.

On my last international trip I took one large bag to check and, being a woman, just took a very large tote bag and my purse. I didn't even take my smaller matching luggage bag. dh took his large bag and a laptop case in which he stuffed some more things. That was plenty for a three week trip.

Get a good name brand. Make sure it has features you like, such as outside pockets or pockets around the inside, a really good sturdy handle that won't break. I had cheap luggage once and the handle wasn't strong enough on the large suitcase and the suitcase kept twisting and falling. Believe me you don't want that when you're running through an airport or a crowded subway. Go for quality--you can actually find it in thrift stores.
Good idea! I was thinking the same thing about picking up used luggage, but it goes fast in thrift stores. We got a set of Tumi from someone on craigslist, it's probably 10 or 15 years old but looks brand new. The owner was elderly and not traveling anymore, we paid about 10 cents on the dollar for it and it's wonderful luggage- amazing quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or