U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:13 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times

Advertisements

Do you have a big house? From the number of light bulbs you need, it sounds like you might. If you've got a large house and a bunch of appliances...two fridges, a freezer, four or five ceiling fans, computers, lots of electronic gadgets plugged in to charge, etc. you're going to have a higher bill.

You should get a few LED light bulbs and see if you like the light they produce before you replace all the bulbs in the house. I have them in my bathrooms but I haven't put them in the rest of the house yet. Some LED bulbs seem to have a bit of a flicker which is a migraine trigger for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Do you have a big house? From the number of light bulbs you need, it sounds like you might. If you've got a large house and a bunch of appliances...two fridges, a freezer, four or five ceiling fans, computers, lots of electronic gadgets plugged in to charge, etc. you're going to have a higher bill.

You should get a few LED light bulbs and see if you like the light they produce before you replace all the bulbs in the house. I have them in my bathrooms but I haven't put them in the rest of the house yet. Some LED bulbs seem to have a bit of a flicker which is a migraine trigger for me.
I had one that flickered. I took it back to Home Depot and they exchanged it, no hassle at all. Haven't had this problem with the others. But I understand that the dimmable ones are more prone to the flicker. Also, they have bright white and soft white. Bright white is like hospital white to me, way too cold. I much prefer soft white.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,740,061 times
The house is 2500 square ft. Every bedroom plus the kitchen has ceiling fans. All the living areas have recessed lights.

The lights are mostly off. I leave one on in the family room so we don't come in from the garage in the dark, but for the most part the house is dark from the street. We turn off lights as we leave rooms.

The 6000 kW month I had the basement baseboard on also to keep the pipes from freezing. I turned them off and have not used them since.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:

We do not have a computer or video game system. Two cellphones and three iPads are the only gadgets we have. We are a one tv household.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:51 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We are currently using 2800 kW per month and even before the heat was turned on, our usage was substantially higher than our neighbors.
Quote:
The house is 2500 square ft. Every bedroom plus the kitchen has ceiling fans. All the living areas have recessed lights.
We have a 2400sq ft house.
We are also near ski slopes, so we use more electricity in the wintertime.

Our worst bill in the past 24 months was mid-Feb to mid-Mar, and it was 1967 kwh.
Our lowest was 791.

Something is radically off, if you are using 2800 routinely. There is more going on than light bulbs....

Can you have your power company come out and do an energy audit?

Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
What part of the world are you in?

Weather Hot / Cold will effect your Heating/Cooling load.

I have a 2800sf home near Atlanta My biggest Month was 2800KwH's

In a HOTlanta summer with Two A/C unit running hard.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:58 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
We do not have a computer or video game system. Two cellphones and three iPads are the only gadgets we have. We are a one tv household.

I looked at my bill from last month and it was 1100 KW. We weren't running the air conditioner, which is the most expensive thing we run. I have one fridge, one freezer, electric appliances, three tv's, four computers, a video game system, three ceiling fans (think those are cheap to run), three tablets, two cell phones, a fish tank and a bird cage that use electricity, and the kids and I are home all day, so we're using electricity all day. I usually do six loads of laundry a week, and use the oven at least five nights a week.

You must have something that uses a lot of electricity. Maybe the well pump? See if your electric provider offers a system that lets you monitor electric usage for your major appliances...mine has a free system that lets you control your ac and water heater through a phone app.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We have a 2400sq ft house.
We are also near ski slopes, so we use more electricity in the wintertime.

Our worst bill in the past 24 months was mid-Feb to mid-Mar, and it was 1967 kwh.
Our lowest was 791.

Something is radically off, if you are using 2800 routinely. There is more going on than light bulbs....

Can you have your power company come out and do an energy audit?
I actually have an Empower audit scheduled right after Christmas. A contractor comes out and spends about 5 hours checking the whole house for issues.

I am very much looking forward to it and read they will do up to $20k in repairs. I am praying they are able to help. I need a roof, insulation and siding so this could be part of the heat escaping issue.. But that does not explain the high usage in the summer without the A/C running. I got the previous owners records from a few years ago and their usage was high. I had thought it was a case of them being old and setting the thermostats to comfortable temperatures. We freeze in the house and still paying a crazy bill.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What part of the world are you in?

Weather Hot / Cold will effect your Heating/Cooling load.

I have a 2800sf home near Atlanta My biggest Month was 2800KwH's

In a HOTlanta summer with Two A/C unit running hard.
North east

Old 12-17-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I looked at my bill from last month and it was 1100 KW. We weren't running the air conditioner, which is the most expensive thing we run. I have one fridge, one freezer, electric appliances, three tv's, four computers, a video game system, three ceiling fans (think those are cheap to run), three tablets, two cell phones, a fish tank and a bird cage that use electricity, and the kids and I are home all day, so we're using electricity all day. I usually do six loads of laundry a week, and use the oven at least five nights a week.

You must have something that uses a lot of electricity. Maybe the well pump? See if your electric provider offers a system that lets you monitor electric usage for your major appliances...mine has a free system that lets you control your ac and water heater through a phone app.
The month we had the 6000 kW month the water was shut off because of the pipes being broke. We were not even living there yet and had no appliances plugged in.

I am at a quandary of what is sucking up the power. I don't have much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living