U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 PM

79 posts, read 49,651 times

Advertisements

I’m somewhat minimalist by choice, and expect to become more minimalist as I age. I live in a 1B/1B apartment and drive an old car that I expect will last another decade. Part of the reason I’m minimalist is so I can reach financial security for my old age (I didn’t save when young). I also just prefer simple living. I would rather spend my spare time reading, bicycling, and being outside than cleaning a house and taking care of stuff. I grew up in a large house that contained three houses worth of stuff and a lot of maintenance that required most of my time after school. I’ll never go back to that. An excess of stuff smothers and depresses me. If I didn’t require a permanent home for my critters, I could easily get rid of all my stuff and slow-travel for the next decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,738,112 times
I am continually working on being more minimalistic. I like the idea of having just what you need and living the simple lifestyle. We do not have many luxuries, no new cars, try to always re purpose or buy used. However, we live well. We go out, enjoy walks and being outdoors and to travel. We plan to move next year and will be downsizing. We have wasted space now and I like the idea of conserving utility costs. Minimalism is something I have been learning about for awhile and read several blogs about it. Its not something our close family embraces which makes it tough sometimes.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 PM

6,659 posts, read 8,243,981 times
"Minimalism is a lifestyle that helps people question what things add value to their lives. By clearing the clutter from life’s path, we can all make room for the most important aspects of life: health, relationships, passion, growth, and contribution."

Living With Less - The Atlantic

Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 PM

8,334 posts, read 7,307,942 times
I hear all the time people say they don't try to keep up with the Jones's, yet in reality, that is what most people do. They want the newer house, new cars, lots of toys etc. It really hit me the other day how much people spend and buy to "keep up appearances. I'm done with it. I'm going to work even harder to pare down my lifestyle. It should make a huge difference in being able to afford to retire.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:50 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,117,224 times
I earn less than 30,000 a year so minimalism for me is required but something I also enjoy. I live in a small room that has nothing in it but a desk, a mini-fridge and a japanese style futon folded up in the corner. Very much avoid buying anything that I won't use immediately.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:44 PM

115 posts, read 89,047 times
Yes. I am. In fact, I have actually thought about living in a van for some time. But then again, living at home with my parents is actually cheaper and I get free food. I only spend what I need to in this world because the economy is SO bad.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM

4,776 posts, read 3,837,795 times
I am moving towards minimalism by choice.
We earned over $200,000 last year.
I wonder how much of the minimalism comes from Sundays spent at the Buddhist temple?

Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 AM

116 posts, read 74,555 times
Default Step or two away from a minimalist

Some of my friends think of me as minimalist, but I say no. A true min would have four coffee mugs and I have eight! I try to keep just the basics, no extra this or that, and have a thrift store bag available all the time to toss things in.

Nothing wrong with liking clothes, accessories as there's so much out there available second hand that one can change over things regularly and not have much invested. I've always lived in small spaces and practice what I call reverse shopping - when something new comes in, something else has to go. No storing volumes of extras in boxes, or filling up shed or garage with unused items. They GO. If awareness and effort isn't made not to collect, a box load will turn into a basement or shed full. By then, the volume of junk is overwhelming and no one wants to tackle it. I have friends dealing with that. Therefore, be mindful of those extra un-needed items one at a time. Throw them in the goodwill bag, give away, sell at the flea mkt., whatever.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:58 PM

231 posts, read 165,777 times
I have a friend who will not allow himself more than 100 items.

Example - dishes are 1 item / drinking glasses are 1 item / books are 1 item / clothes are 1 item, etc.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM

20,420 posts, read 36,488,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
I have a friend who will not allow himself more than 100 items.

Example - dishes are 1 item / drinking glasses are 1 item / books are 1 item / clothes are 1 item, etc.
The people I know who do that count every individual item, not every category of item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living