U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM

1,090 posts, read 753,979 times

Advertisements

I wasn't until I found this site. Now I'm trying to pay off the used car as quickly as possible, never really shop for anything unless I NEED to and when I do I use coupons and look for cheap options (sales rack at TJmaxx if I NEED jeans). I keep the thermostat low and use a space heater in whatever room I'm in. I want to pay off my cars, pay off my student loans so the only thing I have left is my mortgage.. Then I want to aggressively pay that down and convince my wife to move into a slightly smaller/cheaper home still in a nice area that only takes up about 15% of our monthly income.. Maybe MAYBE when we get to that point I wont be such a minimalist.. But right now every time I make a purchase all I think about is my debts, even if they are low interest. Plus something about a truly minimalist lifestyle seems very stress free..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM

20,420 posts, read 36,503,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I Maybe MAYBE when we get to that point I wont be such a minimalist.
You are already NOT a minimalist.
You are frugal.

There is a difference.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM

20,420 posts, read 36,503,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Minimalism is not about being cheap and refusing to spend money or being poor. It's a lifestyle choice based on not wanting or needing clutter, and not wanting anything around that blocks energy, and choosing those things that have the most meaning and enhance one's life, to keep it simple. Choice is the operative word here.

One can be cheap and poor and still be surrounded by lots of stuff. Ever seen a hoarder or someone who is on their way to being a hoarder? They acquire lots of stuff, often cheaply, and never let it go. They can be dirt poor, be on welfare or qualify for it.
Exactly!

So many here have no idea what minimalism is about...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 AM

21,465 posts, read 26,837,989 times
Minimalist: seen on TV (not in person) a huge oval room with a raised platform at one end. On the platform a sleek, modern, expensive looking bed. Walk down a ramp and on the ramp was a gorgeous red sofa. The entire rest of the huge room was completely empty and sparkling clean.

There was no artwork, no decoration. The walls and floor and ceiling were white. The architecture was the artwork. It was gorgeous. It was also not frugal.

There had to have been a walk-in closet somewhere. There was staff, so a commercial kitchen somewhere in the building, kept out of sight.

Minimalist: all you need in a bedroom is a place to sleep and a place to sit. That's all there was in the bedroom.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 AM

6,667 posts, read 8,248,100 times
Yep! Minimalism cheapness or being poor, despite how many times people try to make it about that.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,413,429 times
I am trying to be a minimalist but its fine line between frugal and minimalist and I am often fighting that balance along with the urge to shop. Recently I was car shopping and found myself conflicted between a basic car at low end of my budget vs an exciting to me car over my budget. The frugal in me wanted the cheap basic car but I knew it will need to be upgraded in few years. So I asked myself "what will be the minimalist choose". The choose was easy, get the high end car which meets desire and functionality. So what few extra buck will keep me happy and no need to buy another car in future.

Then my house got broken in to that week and few things were stolen & I found myself questioning all my belongings: Why I have it, what would I do if I lost it? My car choose became even more interesting. What if I got my new car and the thrives took it or destroyed it. I know I would be devastated if it was the high end car. This made me wonder

DO MINIMALIST PUT ALL THEIR EGGS IN ONE (few) BASKETS? is that good economical decision?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:34 AM

12,489 posts, read 9,503,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am trying to be a minimalist but its fine line between frugal and minimalist and I am often fighting that balance along with the urge to shop. Recently I was car shopping and found myself conflicted between a basic car at low end of my budget vs an exciting to me car over my budget. The frugal in me wanted the cheap basic car but I knew it will need to be upgraded in few years. So I asked myself "what will be the minimalist choose". The choose was easy, get the high end car which meets desire and functionality. So what few extra buck will keep me happy and no need to buy another car in future.

Then my house got broken in to that week and few things were stolen & I found myself questioning all my belongings: Why I have it, what would I do if I lost it? My car choose became even more interesting. What if I got my new car and the thrives took it or destroyed it. I know I would be devastated if it was the high end car. This made me wonder

DO MINIMALIST PUT ALL THEIR EGGS IN ONE (few) BASKETS? is that good economical decision?
It makes no financial sense to buy a more expensive car just for a need years down the road. In those years the vehicle will probably lose 60-70% of its value. You would have saved a lot by buying the cheaper vehicle first, then trading to the pricier one when you need it. By then it will be years older and you'll pick it up at a 60-70% "discount".

Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 PM

780 posts, read 480,969 times
I've read tons of articles and watched endless videos on minimalism and the way I understand it is it is about living with less, not because you cannot afford it (thought if this is the case, no big deal), but because you chose to live life not dependant on items to make you happy.

In my opinion, minimalistic lifestyle is living with no clutter, whatever that "clutter" is. It is usually physical things that people are determined to declutter, but this also includes relationships with others and even unnecessary task we get ourselves busy with. At least these are the concepts I get get out of a minimalistic lifestyle.

IMO, minimalism isn't about depriving yourself of luxurious things, but understanding the true value of things, luxurious or not. I've watched a lot of fashion minimalism videos and most of them suggest you spend money on good quality items. Because you're limited to just using those and you'll be wearing it a lot, make sure its quality will last.

Also, many articles will tell you minimalism is not about who has less stuff. It is not a competition on who can be "more minimalist". It's all based on your understanding of minimalism. It's for you to decide.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM

6,667 posts, read 8,248,100 times
Exactly, aliwalas, you nailed it!

See these pictures of minimalist rooms? Nothing cheap or frugal about it. It's a design and lifestyle choice, not "can't afford to spend because I'm on a tight budget."

Last edited by lottamoxie; 02-10-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM

48 posts, read 68,194 times
Posters seem to be talking about two different things. Some posters are talking about upscale minimalist design, which is inaccessible to a lot of people, whereas other posters are talking about the current minimalist movement, which is an all-access anti-clutter, anti-consumerism movement to remove and reduce the acquisition of burdensome physical and mental clutter, basically to increase the individual's quality of life.

According to these articles, anyone can benefit from minimalist ideas:

Is Minimalism just for single, rich, white guys?

8 Tips for Editing Your Life that Will Work on Any Budget

Becoming Minimalist - Start Here

Last edited by jenshoes; 02-10-2016 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living