U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,306,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I live a minimalist lifestyle. For me, its more about autonomy. When you have huge bills, which today's consumer lifestyle encourages (buy more, put it on a credit card) you become a slave to your employer. Bosses will manipulate you if they know you are in over your head. My co-worker is always scrounging for overtime, extra work, and is generally desperate for raises because he owns too much, he brags about living extravagantly. Has a $10k monthly nut. My monthly nut is about $2k, if that. My employer knows she can't treat me like chit. If she does, I'll go elsewhere. So I basically come and go as I please. I could be unemployed for months and look for a really good-fit job if I needed to.

That is the best ownership of things- owning yourself, being a workhorse to no one.
You and I love freedom and flexibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 PM

9,527 posts, read 16,714,998 times
I inherited some serious hoarder genes and was verging on being one myself but I got rid of most of it and moved into a van, by choice. Yea it’s about the freedom.

I still have too much stuff lol, but I’m proud that I don’t have to rearrange things to move around or go to bed.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,624,970 times
I get rid of paper and other stuff, but make do with older TV sets and run electronics into the ground. DVD player is from 2000.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,306,198 times
I moved to my apt about a year ago and I have a lot of stuff to get rid of. It's amazing how much stuff I accumulated over the years

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM

2,239 posts, read 7,591,646 times
I retired just over a year ago, and moved from Southern California to Tucson. Before I moved, I cleared out a lot of stuff from my 1 BR apartment where I lived for 18+ years. I have spent the past year thinning out even more, to the essential things that I use on a regular basis. I have a few boxes of old photo albums and books, but aside from those, everything else I own is in active use.

I have decided to move out of my cheap apartment and go to Europe for a year or so. I rented a 5' x 5' storage unit, which is the smallest one available. If all of my material possessions including bed and few items of furniture can disassemble and fit into a 5' x 5' storage locker, that is pretty low on the minimalism scale.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,201,773 times
I like your philosophy, recycled. I too, moved to Arizona a year ago September. I thought I'd pared down my belongings but still have boxes I haven't unpacked. Slowly but surely I will go through them and get rid of what I don't use.

My goal is to live a more minimalist life.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

705 posts, read 278,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I like your philosophy, recycled. I too, moved to Arizona a year ago September. I thought I'd pared down my belongings but still have boxes I haven't unpacked. Slowly but surely I will go through them and get rid of what I don't use.

My goal is to live a more minimalist life.
Everything I own can be fit into 3 large suitcases.

(Except for my bank account and investments.)

I don't Like stuff / things.

Old Today, 10:35 AM

23,627 posts, read 22,585,679 times
In my experience, minimalists are those who ask to borrow my stuff because they don't want to buy, maintain, or keep more stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living