Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
heck if i owned a home i could make 5,000 last indefinitely by renting out rooms and living off the rental income
then you aren't living off 5k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM

806 posts, read 958,537 times
I just went on a test run for 4 days and I actually enjoyed it. Slept in my compact car each night which wasn't so bad with the seats folded down. Would've froze to death (in the 20s) if I hadn't brought a sleeping bag. Found a convenience store that sells $1 hot dogs which were delicious and $1 sodas (1 liter) so lived on those every day. For entertainment I played the slots and bet since I was in Vegas. Obviously can't gamble if I plan on doing this long term.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I just went on a test run for 4 days and I actually enjoyed it. Slept in my compact car each night which wasn't so bad with the seats folded down. Would've froze to death (in the 20s) if I hadn't brought a sleeping bag. Found a convenience store that sells $1 hot dogs which were delicious and $1 sodas (1 liter) so lived on those every day. For entertainment I played the slots and bet since I was in Vegas. Obviously can't gamble if I plan on doing this long term.
But with all due respect, your health won't last if you plan on living on dollar hot dogs and one -liter sodas...but maybe that's your plan? Not to out-live your $5000 by eating junk food??

Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM

It's actually health food compared to what I'm eating at home. Probably explains why I lost some weight during my bum diet.

Plus there's people who smoke and drink that live past 90.... so I doubt hot dogs and sodas are even remotely as bad.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
It's actually health food compared to what I'm eating at home. Probably explains why I lost some weight during my bum diet.

Plus there's people who smoke and drink that live past 90.... so I doubt hot dogs and sodas are even remotely as bad.
Um, ok, good luck with that. But you could choose to be a healthy bum.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:21 PM

32 posts, read 23,330 times
with no other income ? no food stamps? about a year. but you CAN get 1k per year of food stamps and 3k per year for your blood plasma, and 5k for a month's work, casting handgun bullets.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
Tough to live cheaply these days. I have paid off real estate but if I had to live in a car off 5K, maybe 5 months. Luckily I have rentals and would be able to live without working, in a nice apartment, whenever I want with a smart phone, internet, etc. so that I wouldn't have to live in a car.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
In our current situation, we can live off of that for at least 6-7 months.

Without current bills, meaning living on couches or in car, no cell phones ect, then id imagine surviving off of $100 a month. It could be easy if you have friends and family who will let you crash.

without a support system, meaning in the car or under a bridge, id say $200 or so a month. Maybe even less. You could go to soup kitchens some, dig thougn trash ect. Use public restrooms. If starving, you could go into some fast food restaurants and take cracker packets to eat.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM

I may have caught pneumonia....... this could be bad.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
You might want to budget in a P.O. Box for mail and so you have an address.

Also you might need a phone? Maybe not, but it's a good thing to have at least a phone that can still dial 911 even if it isn't assigned an actual phone number. Sometimes you can find those a thrift stores. In my city there are a few nonprofits that collect old phones and pass them out to the homeless - especially women - for this very reason (so they can call 911 if they need to).

At some point you may need health care services. If you're depending on public restrooms and $1 hot dogs and soda - you'll need these sooner rather than later.

If you're a female you may need birth control and tampons. If you're a guy you may need condoms and a shave kit. Deodorant.

You'll need a place to do laundry.

You'll need to set aside money for car repairs and regular maintenance.

You'll also need to set aside money for taxes. Not sure how much you'll pay in taxes based on $5K a year where you live, but it is something to plan for. In our state, we have federal and state income taxes. I just did a quick tax estimator (free tool) and using $5K for income for one year, claiming yourself as the one personal exemption (so long as no one else can claim you), you would have to pay $139.00 in state taxes where I live. It looks like the federal tax liability would be 0 since the standard deduction is $6,200. Here's a link: Income Tax Calculator - Tax-Rates.org

It's important to remember that even if you do not owe taxes, you still must file a tax return. And when you do, you have to prove your health insurance status. If you cannot provide proof of health insurance, you will be charged a fine. Or at least that is what we deal with every year when we go to our tax preparer to do our taxes. We have to show proof of health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living