U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I just cut my cable down to the basic channels. But they took away my DVR recorder. I want to record my daytime shows and I can't find a cheap DVR recorder to buy. They don't make them anymore. Netflix is boring too.

If you act quickly you can purchase a Tivo with a lifetime membership for $299.00 on Amazon now.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Streaming...e+subscription

It only works with Over the Air stations, but includes a lifetime membership to programming instead of having to pay $15 every month, so in about 18 months you are paid up for the life of the unit. They are very good units. It has 500 Gig storage hard drive on it.

There is also the Channel Master DVR, but you must add your own external hard drive to it. It would cost more now with having to add a hard drive, but you could get a bigger hard drive for more recording space.
Amazon.com : Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL2) : Electronics

The Tivo is very simple to operate and generally very reliable, and with a lifetime subscription you can sell it on Ebay when you want to and get at least half $ back from what you paid for it.

Last solution: If you have an extra computer or laptop that has Windows 7 on it (Windows 7 needed for recording your shows) then you can hook that up to your tv to serve as a DVR, but you will need to buy a Silicon Dust Home Run TV tuner to connect to your computer and your TV. Amazon.com: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT (2-Tuner): Electronics

All good alternatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM

601 posts, read 538,774 times
This deal is perfect for me! I've been a cord-cutter for about 6 months now, and I'm loving it. I had an old, old TIVO unit and I restarted the service just so I could watch some missed prime-time shows, but hated paying the monthly service. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,034,553 times
I am confused. This is a forum about frugal living and I post an option for people to cut cable, watch whatever program they want, (TV, Movies) both on demand and live-tv and nary a comment from folks. XMBC that I referenced is a 100% free program with many built-in options such as a DVR but it is being glossed over.

Are folks really frugal or just want to be frugal?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 PM

763 posts, read 1,070,715 times
I haven't paid for cable since 2008, when I was simply splitting the bill with my roommate back then. While cable deals sound great, I ain't signing a two year contract and then paying over double the "deal" during the 2nd year. I'm not dumb. Waste of money just to watch like 10 awesome channels out of 100s.

Back in AZ, near Phoenix, a basic antenna will pick up nearly all the broadcast channels, for FREE. I didn't even have netflix back then; I was satisfied with those 5 channels.

Now in OR, any antenna in a store won't pick up a single freaking broadcast channel. Except, for in this one bedroom in our apartment that happens to get PBS and some oldie channel well. Channels, I wouldn't watch anyway. So, we have netflix, and recently added hulu because I'm actually running out of stuff to watch on Netflix...

Other than that, my husband watches sports on live free streaming sites (when they work), and the shows hulu won't air, i can usually just watch for free on CBS.com, or stream them.

While, in the far future when we make way more money than we do now, we might get cable, it's not something we'll be bothering with for the next 5 year or so.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 AM

601 posts, read 538,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I am confused. This is a forum about frugal living and I post an option for people to cut cable, watch whatever program they want, (TV, Movies) both on demand and live-tv and nary a comment from folks. XMBC that I referenced is a 100% free program with many built-in options such as a DVR but it is being glossed over.

Are folks really frugal or just want to be frugal?
I just looked into this. Though it seems great, it seems you'd need to do a work-around to get this on your actual television set, or did I miss something? Also, XMBC is now known as Kodi (recent name change) for anyone else looking into this option.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:11 AM

250 posts, read 150,473 times
Only work around you'd need is an HDMI cable and a wireless mouse.

I'll elaborate, but not trying to insult anyone's intelligence. When I came back to the states in early 2008 I discovered that 1080p TVs had become affordable and HDMI had become common on said TVs. I'd say HDMI blurs the line between a computer screens and TVs, but in my experience anyway it makes that line not exist at all. I've been hooking spare computers into my living room TV ever since early 08 for everything from streaming content from my desktop tower that hides in the storage room to Netflix to playing PC games on the big screen.

Last edited by happygeek; 01-20-2016 at 04:38 AM..

Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
While cable deals sound great, I ain't signing a two year contract and then paying over double the "deal" during the 2nd year.
I don't know anyone who does that. Everyone I know that signs a two year contract do so for a set price, frozen for the two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I just looked into this. Though it seems great, it seems you'd need to do a work-around to get this on your actual television set, or did I miss something?
Yes and that's really the answer to the earlier poster's question. Would you sign up for a cable television plan that saved you $30 a month, but delivered the programming in black-and-white? Few would. Similarly, for many people, even dealing with getting something as incredibly easy as TiVo to work with cable television service is more aggravation than is worth it, so approaches that are even less plug-and-play than TiVo are not even a consideration - you might as well suggest replacing television with a library card.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,034,553 times
If you want a plug and play version of XBMC then you can purchase a Raspberry pi micro computer. They retail for $35 - $65 and plug directly into your TV's HDMI port. All you need to do is hook it up to your internet (wireless or wired).

From that point forward no additional cost and more TV than you can imagine.

We have a dedicated computer for the TV, it is an older one and works perfect.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
I think you're grossly understating the challenge and warn casual readers to do their own research on how much work there is involved in getting a homegrown solution to fully replace what you have today.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM

250 posts, read 150,473 times
Work is involved in plugging a HDMI cable into your TV from your computer and then using a wireless mouse & keyboard to control it from the couch?

I don't know about everyone else, but what I had today was a POS DVR from Comcast that cost $18 a month and had a Windows 3.0 type interface and a tiny HD. It also required a HDMI cable to the TV, so I'm not sure how the second COA that was suggested is challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If you want a plug and play version of XBMC then you can purchase a Raspberry pi micro computer. They retail for $35 - $65 and plug directly into your TV's HDMI port. All you need to do is hook it up to your internet (wireless or wired).

From that point forward no additional cost and more TV than you can imagine.

We have a dedicated computer for the TV, it is an older one and works perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or