U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times

Advertisements

I don't watch a ton of TV, but when I do I want a good experience. Streaming just doesn't give me the same quality of cable. It's reliant on internet which isn't always the smoothest, buffers, can lag, and the sound flat out sucks. I'd rather pay a little more money and enjoy superior quality than pay money for a crappy experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM

64 posts, read 41,702 times
We aren't sports fans and that usually seems to be the draw to keep cable. We are using Hulu now and are enjoying watching a series from beginning to end then finding a new one. Internet did go up for us to $60 per month but still much better than the $200 we were spending for internet+cable.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 27,660 times
When I was a kid in the 80's, we got cable TV. I was surprised there were commercials. I thought "why are there commercials if you're paying for this?"

To this day I refuse to sign up for cable (or satellite) if there are any commercials. I have an HDTV antennae, watch some programs through the internet, and watch cable TV (with commercials ) when I'm in a hotel room.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Oakwood View Post
When I was a kid in the 80's, we got cable TV. I was surprised there were commercials. I thought "why are there commercials if you're paying for this?"
There was some debate about that question in the beginning. CATV or community access television goes all the way back to 1946 at the dawn of the networks. But it was primarily a way to get reception if there was hills that prevented private antennas from receiving anything. So CATV was a way to access a really big antenna on top of the nearest hill.

The original service to be delivered exclusively on Cable was HBO. It's commercial free format was going to be the model for future channels. However WTBS out of Atlanta originated the concept of the superstation complete with commercials.

Dec 17, 1976 TBS signal was beamed via the Satcom 1 satellite to cable systems in Grand Island, Nebraska; Newport News, Virginia; Troy, Alabama, and Newton, Kansas.
  • Nov 8, 1972; HBO
  • Apr 1, 1973; The Movie Channel
  • Jul 1, 1976; Showtime
  • Aug 1, 1980; Cinemax
  • Apr 1, 1991; Encore
  • Aug 1, 1992; Flix
  • February 1, 1994; Starz
  • January 1, 1997; Movieplex
  • Octr 30, 2009; Epix

Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,034,553 times
One option not mentioned is XBMC. It is a free program you can load onto your computer and stream TV, movies, radio etc. from around the world. There is a choice to watch programs live, or watch them after the fact. If you choose the live option, the program has a built-in DVR function to allow you to pause if needed.

Since switching to XBMC about 3 years ago, plus an OTA I get to watch what I want, when I want, all for free.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 PM

998 posts, read 1,184,525 times
I would love to cut the cord. We were paying $108 a month for pretty basic dish network no hbo or showtime. I called them several months ago threatening to cancel and they knocked $50 a month off for a year. I signed up for netflix and hulu and am trying to get my wife on board with using them. I have done research into dvrs so my wife can record her shows from network tv. I am considering getting a tablo dvr with antenna and using netflix and hulu. Att uverse is my Internet provider charges $49/month and they have a data cap of 250gb/month. I have looked into other providers and sonic Internet is now available in my town for $26 a month for phone and internet for 12 months with no data caps but there are taxes of about $10 a month for phone that we don't even use we only have cellphones. They have plans to offer fiber Internet in the near future for $40 a month. So from $157/month to $61/month. I really wouldn't miss anything I don't watch sports. My wife likes her hgtv so I might have to get her slingtv to convince her.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have done research into dvrs so my wife can record her shows from network tv. I am considering getting a tablo dvr with antenna
I haven't really investigated it because I don't get any valuable broadcast TV where I live, but Myth TV is sort of a home made do it yourself DVR for broadcast. I presume you would store the shows on your computer's hard disk, then somehow project them on your TV using Chromecast or something similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV
https://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv

Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,395,295 times
The recurring theme seems to be that sports keeps cable companies afloat.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,184,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I haven't really investigated it because I don't get any valuable broadcast TV where I live, but Myth TV is sort of a home made do it yourself DVR for broadcast. I presume you would store the shows on your computer's hard disk, then somehow project them on your TV using Chromecast or something similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV
https://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv
Yeah I've also looked into more diy type dvr's. I was thinking of trying a raspberry pi dvr project that looks promising.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The recurring theme seems to be that sports keeps cable companies afloat.
No. Rather, sports is one of many reasons why cable is still the best option for many people. However, many people who don't watch a minute of sports still have rational and compelling reasons to stick with cable, even though that doesn't jive with the favored cord-cutting narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or