U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:26 PM

24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
The people I know who are like that with money create problems for their friends and family because of it. For all their high-minded values and talk about how money doesn't matter and you don't need it to be happy, it causes pressure on others to deal with it.

For minimalists who save a good deal of money, it doesn't necessarily. But for the broke or nearly broke, definitely.

I've been on the other end of this type of philosophy as well....because eventually most people end up with a problem that only money can solve (or at least money would be, by far, the easiest and most efficient solution). When the crisis hits (and it almost always does), they come to others asking for money or assistance that requires money. The high minded values are often used as a smokescreen for not facing some hard truths about themselves/their behavior that prevented them from earning/saving more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM

24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I like having choices, even if my choice is to have less. Oddly enough, choosing less is actually enabling me to have more choices and it has nothing to do with character development.
Yep. Well said.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM

64,675 posts, read 66,158,228 times
trying to link the type of person someone is with their income or worth is just silly .

that is the kind of wishful thinking you see when you have those who don't have much money try to feel better about that fact so they dream up the differences between themselves and others . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-26-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 PM

22,690 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
If you read a bit more closely, you'll notice that the OP used the words "I think" and "to me" in expressing an opinion about a topic that comes up in life from time to time. Others joined in with their thoughts on what success means to them. Nobody is trying to TELL you anything, it's just an exchange of ideas (ie. a forum). You might find it more interesting to respond to a post over in the Forum Courtesy section.
this forum is divided into many subforums. there must be another one where meaningless opinions about the meaning of life are more appreciated. if im in a financial section, i dont need someone telling me that success isnt about money. if im in the auto section, i dont need someone telling me that success isnt about how great your car is. if im in the food forum, i dont need someone telling me that success isnt about delicious food. etc. etc. etc.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:51 PM

actually the forum is the frugal living forum so it does fit in , but the premise of ones character being linked to wealth just makes little sense .

Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 PM

22,690 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually the forum is the frugal living forum so it does fit in , but the premise of ones character being linked to wealth just makes little sense .
it would fit in just like it would fit in for him to go to the auto forum and say "being successful isnt about having the greatest car, its about. . ." just because the OP theoretically tied it into the subforums subject, doesnt really mean it fits in. nobody here is suggesting that being frugal means being successful in life. i dont think ive seen anyone in the frugal forum say that getting great deals makes them a success in life.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,746,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
For minimalists who save a good deal of money, it doesn't necessarily. But for the broke or nearly broke, definitely.

I've been on the other end of this type of philosophy as well....because eventually most people end up with a problem that only money can solve (or at least money would be, by far, the easiest and most efficient solution). When the crisis hits (and it almost always does), they come to others asking for money or assistance that requires money. The high minded values are often used as a smokescreen for not facing some hard truths about themselves/their behavior that prevented them from earning/saving more.
I always liked dreamers... their optimism and seeming to exist in a nicer, prettier version of the pragmatic world around them.

I'm sure I'm around more successful people than unsuccessful people, whatever somebody's definition of 'success' is, but regarding financial success I don't run in crowds where people openly talk about investments or wealth. The financially successful people in my life hardly talk about money at all (at least around me), and have fairly mundane, low-key jobs and lives. That's why I'm on this forum so that I can get some exposure to people who are willing to talk about finances and investments.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 6,923,609 times
Quote:
wow , pasta with ketchup , i love that combo , always did right from when i was a kid . all my italian buddy's used to gag when i ate it that way .

wasn't that in the story of passover ? i think moses left for the desert with matzah, pasta with ketchup and dr browns cream soda .
We were never so poor we couldn't afford to have some butter or "oleo" on our pasta with ketchup ... and it was something we kids preferred when my mother decided she needed to have something really gross like liver. When it's the only thing in the cupboard though ... that's tough. I taught for several years in inner city Buffalo, and I'm sure there were a few students in my classes who likely didn't even have pasta with ketchup some nights ...

Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Quote:
that is the kind of wishful thinking you see when you have those who don't have much money try to feel better about that fact so they dream up the differences between themselves and others . .
YEp... exactly what I thought when I read the opening post.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
We were never so poor we couldn't afford to have some butter or "oleo" on our pasta with ketchup ... and it was something we kids preferred when my mother decided she needed to have something really gross like liver. When it's the only thing in the cupboard though ... that's tough. I taught for several years in inner city Buffalo, and I'm sure there were a few students in my classes who likely didn't even have pasta with ketchup some nights ...
i still like it today but the thought of the butter in the ketchup doesn't sound so good to me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or