U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:02 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times

Advertisements

I do not pay much attention to what others are doing because I really do not care what others are doing and if you would do a bit of research about that television program you would know it is all staged, a one time shopping spree and the corporate headquarters has to give permission for all of the coupons to be used at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM

983 posts, read 696,685 times
I rarely use coupons. They are usually for brand name items. It's cheaper to buy the non brand items, even without the coupons.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,814,974 times
There were too many links for me to read the whole story. I don't have a problem with the legitimate use of coupons. What bothers me is when people use them to buy products for which the coupon is not intended. I'm not sure if this is in all of those links, but there is a way to manipulate coupon usage to your own benefit. I believe there are a limited number of coupon codes. So some coupon codes work on more than one product. The scanner up at the front doesn't know the difference. If a coupon says $1 off the $5 cookie, you may be able to use the coupon for $1 off on the $.99 muffin. To me, that is stealing.

I don't have a problem with a person looking around for coupons and stacking as many as allowed to get a discounted product. I don't have a problem with people hoarding coupons. Back when I used to coupon, I got the coupons out of my Sunday paper and also asked my fil for his coupons since he didn't use them. To me, that is fair use. I have a problem with stealing the extra newspapers out of the machine. Or stealing entire pads of coupons.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:08 AM

10,152 posts, read 13,844,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not pay much attention to what others are doing because I really do not care what others are doing and if you would do a bit of research about that television program you would know it is all staged, a one time shopping spree and the corporate headquarters has to give permission for all of the coupons to be used at the same time.
Very true. The show was staged. Actual coupon use is nowhere near that. About 99% away from being factual.
All stores have coupon limits. Harris Teeter for example allows 20 per day but only 3 of them can be the same coupon. We do use coupons to donate items to our church and to a pastor locally who takes food to homeless people. As well as to try brands we would never try due to the cost. A recent example was Edwards whole pies. $6.39 and buy one get one free. We had 4 coupons for 50 cents which would be doubled. That got the cost for 4 of those pies down to $2.20 each. However Publix had a 55 cent coupon and that can be stacked. So take another 55 cents off of the $2.20 and you get $1.65 for each pie. Two for us (we love their Key Lime) and the other two taken to a church pot luck meal.
We see nothing wrong with this type of coupon use. It's a matter of saving on one thing to be able to spend more on something else.
The stores also have a limit on how many internet coupons you can use and you can only print two per computer any way. And most grocery items no longer have good coupons. The good ole days are over.

Treat yourself and help others at the same time.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM

16,222 posts, read 7,101,807 times
Most of the items for which coupons are offered is stuff I wouldn't accept as gifts! I don't want all those perfumed and processed microwavable skunk parts! Besides, store brand toilet paper is usually cheaper than the coupon prices.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:37 AM

5,761 posts, read 3,041,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Very true. The show was staged. Actual coupon use is nowhere near that. About 99% away from being factual.
All stores have coupon limits. ....

Always wondered about that show. I could never get the math to work unless there was a flaw in the software (which undoubtedly is fixed now) or it was a set up. Even when we tried the multiple coupon thing, the system would never stack them to the extent shown on that show. (IE buy one/get one, then add a coupon for half off and another for a dollar off, stacked a hundred time so they paid you $10 dollars to take the stuff off their hands).

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM

21,003 posts, read 25,765,271 times
If it works and if you can use the stuff that the coupons are for, go ahead, and I don't care one way or another.

I rarely see coupons for anything that I use. If a coupon is for something I use and need at the time, I will use it, but coupons aren't usually worth much and it's been decades since any store around here offered to double coupons.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:00 PM

20,872 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I rarely use coupons. They are usually for brand name items. It's cheaper to buy the non brand items, even without the coupons.
Me too. Even though I am retired and have the time, I don't have the patience.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,150,498 times
I've used coupons in the past but these days the only coupons I see are for things I don't want. A long time ago, stores used to double or even triple your coupons and you could find coupons for good things.

Now I just buy what's on sale or store brand if it's good.

I have nothing against people who want to do extreme couponing. It's legal, fine with me.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Very few items I use have coupon options. My days of hoarding 50 tubes of tooth paste are over. I price match some items such as TBone yesterday at 3.99/pound.
if it works for someone - great! The local paper is $20/month. Do I buy enough with coupons to make $20/month? Do I drive into town (all five miles) on Sunday to get a paper? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or