U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:55 PM

79 posts, read 47,253 times

Advertisements

People on those shows must have incredibly unhealthy diets. I used to use coupons for a few personal care items, but in the long run they took too much time for the minimal savings. There were rarely coupons for items I needed like real food. I find the store brands for other household and personal care items are cheaper than brand name items with coupon discounts - especially if you can get them on sale. I do plan my shopping according to what's on sale, and use personalized digital coupons from a couple of local grocers - sometimes they even offer coupons for produce. I usually save 15% - 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,705,164 times
People on those shows are getting cases of items from the store, no limits, it's
unbelievable......

Old 01-02-2016, 04:12 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,013,555 times
These are the "unhealthy" coupons that I'll be using at Walmart tomorrow:

$.55 off Sargento cheese ($2.74 - $.55 = $2.19 (less than GV brand)
$.50 off Bounty paper towels ($.97 - $.50 = $.47.)
$1.00 off Pepperidge Farm Stone Baked Rolls ($2.98 - $1.00 = $1.98)
$2.00 off 25lb Scoop Away Cat Litter ($9.97 - $2.00 = $7.97).

Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,284,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just suppose if EVERYONE did it for just one month.

Prices would drop like a stone because retailers would have all realized their profits were drastically reduced and the extra margin they tacked on to cover the projected coupon cost/losses weren't making up the difference any longer.

All that printing and mailing etc., costs something and it's factored into every item you are buying out there.

Were there no coupons at all and all retailers had to compete on strictly pricing alone, guess what would happen?
I think that this discussion is mostly about manufacturer coupons. The cost of printing or making the coupon available falls on the manufacturer. The stores submit the redeemed coupons and are compensated for them. (face value plus 8 cents)

Incidentally - by and large - grocery stores have a very thin profit margin. I think 1.5% is on the high end overall.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I don't use manufacturer's coupons as it is too much of a hassle. Now, I do download a lot of digital coupons from the Kroger's website and that works very well.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tired and angry View Post
Are you an extreme couponer at the grocery store? Can you get up to a $100 in groceries for a few dollars?

Here is a link with more information on how people are doing this:

Beginners Guide to Using Coupons - Extreme Couponing -Living Rich With Coupons®

Is this a logical and fair way to a frugal lifestyle, or instead just an attempt to get things you really don't need in an underhanded way using weaknesses in a system designed to advertise merchandise?

Your thoughts on extreme couponing.
First thing I think is that they're unemployed. It takes an enormous amount of time to be an extreme couponer.

Second thing I notice is that they look unhealthy, often very overweight. This may be because they eat whatever they can get from a coupon, instead of healthy food. Coupons are usu. for processed, fattening foods.

I use coupons for things I'd buy, anyway. But extreme couponing is something else entirely. They often have storehouses @ their homes that look like small grocery stores. It seems more like a compulsion.

If that's what they want to do, not my business. But it has caused some stores to put limits on the numbers of things you can buy on sale.

I would be too embarrassed to do that, and although legal, extreme couponing is not in the spirit of the purpose of coupons. I also don't use coupons for things I wouldn't buy, anyway, and many of the things I buy don't have coupons.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:03 PM

11,366 posts, read 6,428,699 times
For those getting tons of stuff for free, it seems like a part time or even full time job. Finding coupons, clipping, organizing them, looking for items in the store, finding a place to store it all - I just can't get into the work side of it...granted, if you're a stay at home mom or something it's probably a good way to contribute financially. For a single person or couple it may not seem worth it but for a family of 4, getting groceries nearly free could save $10k/year.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:08 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
These are the "unhealthy" coupons that I'll be using at Walmart tomorrow:

$.55 off Sargento cheese ($2.74 - $.55 = $2.19 (less than GV brand)
$.50 off Bounty paper towels ($.97 - $.50 = $.47.)
$1.00 off Pepperidge Farm Stone Baked Rolls ($2.98 - $1.00 = $1.98)
$2.00 off 25lb Scoop Away Cat Litter ($9.97 - $2.00 = $7.97).
Yep. I don't do "Sargento" cheese (whatever that is) or rolls. Too fattening and unhealthy (white bread is a no-no to me). I eat only Double Fiber wheat bread by Natural Grains (50 cal a slice with 5 grams of fiber!). The health problems caused by white breads more than outweighs any coupon! I do eat cheese, but I stick to store brands, preferably on sale. If I use a name brand coupon, I only use it if it's also on sale.

I don't buy Bounty....too expensive. I use coupons for cheaper brands, esp if they're on sale.

I don't have a cat, but I often use coupons for the dog food I use (I just used one for $4.00 off a 25# bag).

Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM

318 posts, read 223,004 times
I've seen a few of those extreme couponers.
Here, they couldn't do the same (the way stores/coupons are issued.)

One woman invested as much time as a full time job. $ wise she would have gotten more money/savings by working instead and shopping cycles.

One had a stockpile of very, very unhealthy items (the very things advertisers usually use coupons for) and a stockpile of diabetes paraphernalia. I rewound and paused the TV to be sure. A diabetic eating like that would incur FAR more costs from that diet, before dying prematurely. I don't know how an American with those medical costs would willingly abuse their body with a medical condition if they were so inclined to SAVE money. (more medical intervention, progressively worsening condition resulting in more meds/insulin added for a T2. $$ pain meds eventually to manage neuropathy symptoms).

*shrugs* seems like a lot of effort to buy overall overmarketed and crappy stuff.

Sometimes I use coupons, but only for stuff I already buy. Cheese/plain dairy, sometimes toothpaste etc. I do cycle shop which is good for those shopping fresh produce and meats.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
95% of the foods I eat (mostly vegetarian) do not have coupons. So for me, it would be a waste of time

For those who eat couponed foods -- well, more power to them. But I'd be concerned about their health from eating so much processed foods.

If I get a grocery store coupon for items I do eat--such as Almond Milk, I use them. Who doesn't like to save money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or