U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:56 AM

115 posts, read 86,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's pretty common in the small town I am from. If you don't leave for college and the big city, you will most likely work a local low-wage job and be living with your folks. I know one man, now in his 60's that just inherited his parents home that he lived in all his life. Small towns, like the one I grew up in pretty much give you a dead end life unless you leave.

Personally I think, OP that you are doing the smart thing. Only in America is there a big rush to move out, wrack up tons of debt, marry and get divorced in a few years and be financially ruined! Some of the users here say "well what if you have a girlfriend, or want to have friends over?" Most of them women I have met turned out to be generally unlady like. My friends were just backstabbers who wanted money. Living your life the way you want and not caring what anyone thinks is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Umm, I did leave for college.

Anyways, I am in no mood to rush out and spend money. No way. The economy is too unstable and wages are too low here. Is there any wonder most young Americans are broke and have less than $1,000 in their savings account? I have much more than that because I live well below my means. I am not tempted to spend money on fancy cars and houses. Certainly not on my measly salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM

983 posts, read 702,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post

Anyways, I am in no mood to rush out and spend money. No way. The economy is too unstable and wages are too low here. Is there any wonder most young Americans are broke and have less than $1,000 in their savings account? I have much more than that because I live well below my means. I am not tempted to spend money on fancy cars and houses. Certainly not on my measly salary.
You have a lot of money because your parents pay most of your expenses.

(by the way, I am still curious - do you help with household chores? Do you do your own laundry? Help with cooking and cleaning, etc?)

Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,087,215 times
Quote:

Your first thread contradicts this...you said you spend your $ on stuff like this.

I call BS. Have fun, kid.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:59 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,583,087 times
Quote:
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
Good for you. I moved out when I was 29 years old. I had no rent either and was able to save 2 years rent as a cushion when I moved out. I wanted to be out before 30 as a personal goal my parents wanted me to stay and they were great roommates. Rents were expensive and an apartment was hard to find in my area but I found a tiny studio and six months later moved into a one bedroom. I don't get parents wanting kids out at 18, it's so expensive out there, and 18 is really young.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 PM

38 posts, read 18,879 times
I like my privacy so I had to move out after college

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,844,341 times
OP, this is in the frugal living forum. What you are doing isn't "frugal." It is taking advantage of your parents. They still have to pay the mortgage. They still have to pay utilities. They still have to buy your food. It isn't "frugal" when someone else is paying your way.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:18 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,844,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Good for you. I moved out when I was 29 years old. I had no rent either and was able to save 2 years rent as a cushion when I moved out. I wanted to be out before 30 as a personal goal my parents wanted me to stay and they were great roommates. Rents were expensive and an apartment was hard to find in my area but I found a tiny studio and six months later moved into a one bedroom. I don't get parents wanting kids out at 18, it's so expensive out there, and 18 is really young.
There is plenty of time between 18 and 29. 18 is young, but 29 is old to still be mooching off your parents.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:20 AM

8,803 posts, read 9,031,113 times
I lived at home til age 27. I had a good career out of college, and used that time to pay off student loans and save money to buy property. My parents didn't support me, I paid my expenses and did plenty around the house. I appreciated their help.

I lived at home for 4-5 years while earning $60-70K/year. I made sure I took advantage of that. I finished off all my school loans. At age 27 I bought a condo with 25% down. Age 33 I sold that condo for 40% more than I paid for it and just bought a nice SFH for myself and family.

I appreciate the jump-start my parents helped give me. That 4-5 years of no major living expenses really helped my future life.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM

1,040 posts, read 702,150 times
Quote:
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
My Mom charged me rent and I had to pay for my share of food and do repairs, moving lawn, shoveling sidewalk. Why is you Mom let you free-ride?

Old 01-25-2016, 11:57 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,186,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
My Mom charged me rent and I had to pay for my share of food and do repairs, moving lawn, shoveling sidewalk. Why is you Mom let you free-ride?

This arrangement makes sense. Helps you and helps your Mom. What the OP has going helps him and screws his parents. I hope they downsize and sell his free room right out from under him. That's one way to get rid of parasites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or