U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,952,891 times

Advertisements

Sure, the boomers could move out at 18 in their day. Back then, you could get a union manufacturing job that paid enough to buy a house and raise a couple of kids, and you would have a pension to retire on. If you went to college, the tuition was low enough and you would most likely make 100k+ straight out of graduation because college educated people were very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM

5,606 posts, read 4,160,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Sure, the boomers could move out at 18 in their day. Back then, you could get a union manufacturing job that paid enough to buy a house and raise a couple of kids, and you would have a pension to retire on. If you went to college, the tuition was low enough and you would most likely make 100k+ straight out of graduation because college educated people were very rare.

LOL...... not even close to true. Engineering graduates in 1982 (Boomer born in 1964) had an average salary of $ 24,100. Engineers graduating in 1974 earned an average of $12,200 a year. 100K is not even close.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 01-25-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 02:10 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
In my experience, throughout much of Latin America it's fairly common for unmarried adults to live with their parents quite a ways into adulthood.

So the answer is, yes, millions of people are doing so.
I've also observed this in Mexico. It seems to work out, as long as everyone respects the other family members, realize that an adult "child" living at home is still an adult and to treat them as such. Usually young girs live with their parents until married. Why waste money on rent, etc, when they could be saving towards their own home?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 2,893,107 times
Most adults want to be free of the parents. Luckily, you get along with them. Any siblings?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:01 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've also observed this in Mexico. It seems to work out, as long as everyone respects the other family members, realize that an adult "child" living at home is still an adult and to treat them as such. Usually young girs live with their parents until married. Why waste money on rent, etc, when they could be saving towards their own home?

You mean other than a lack of independence and an inability to do things on your own?

It is pretty sad when you see a 25 year old employee you have hired with a degree at a major university who still relies upon Mommy and Daddy to:

1) Provide him with health care.
2) Buy his auto and life policies for him.
3) Buy his vehicles for him.
4) Balance his checkbook.
5) Do his taxes annually.
6) Book the airline reservations for his vacation

I actually had a an employee's mother call me to discuss her son's performance appraisal. That did wonders for his future career prospects with the company.

The really sad part is that it does not usually end well.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,710,216 times
I am 85 years old and still live with parents. I plan on moving out within the next 20 years or so.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 PM

366 posts, read 275,510 times
This may work if you have parents who are financially comfortable and not living on a fixed social security income, in a tiny house.

I'm sorry, but it's one thing to help your grown children out after a rough financial setback, divorce, etc...it's quite another to be an enabler to a spoiled brat who hasn't grown up just yet.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:55 PM

589 posts, read 352,320 times
I know about 5 people in their 30s who live at home and it really ranges from a pathetic deadbeat mooching off his parents to a couple of friends who are gainfully employed, completely independent (the could afford to live on their own) and moved home to help parents and save money. I don't think it's always a sin to live with parents as an adult - really depends on the circumstances. As far as young adults in their 20s, I think it can even make sense in this day and age of skyrocketing education costs and diminished job prospects. But again it depends on the particular circumstances.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,919,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.

That's just pathetic.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM

4,310 posts, read 2,449,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's just pathetic.
Sounds like jealousy. You bought into the hype that "everyone" has to move out or they're a "loser"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or