U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Sounds like jealousy. You bought into the hype that "everyone" has to move out or they're a "loser"

My comments have nothing to do with living at home. You can live at home all you want, but being a leech is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 AM

17,612 posts, read 12,197,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Sounds like jealousy. You bought into the hype that "everyone" has to move out or they're a "loser"

I read the same post you did and didn't see jealousy in the reply. What I saw in the post was an adult living with their parents, paying zero while blowing money on travel and eating.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 AM

9,271 posts, read 4,734,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Sure, the boomers could move out at 18 in their day. Back then, you could get a union manufacturing job that paid enough to buy a house and raise a couple of kids, and you would have a pension to retire on. If you went to college, the tuition was low enough and you would most likely make 100k+ straight out of graduation because college educated people were very rare.
No pension for some boomer jobs. You'll be lucky if you can hold on to your job for 30 years.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I read the same post you did and didn't see jealousy in the reply. What I saw in the post was an adult living with their parents, paying zero while blowing money on travel and eating.

Exactly, while I can't help but wonder if the OP phrased it the way he did to rile people up. But nowhere in the post did they seem to indicate the contributed to the household at all.

I take no issue with people living at home. But at least contribute. If you have no money, pick up a broom or hammer or go landscape or just do something...anything...to contribute.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:53 PM

1,614 posts, read 595,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Jealous of stealing from your parents and unable to handle being out on your own. hahahahahaha....
How is it stealing if they are OK with it? Maybe they are happy with the arrangement. Sounds to me like a lot of folks are wildly leaping to conclusions on this thread. Everybody's life situation is different.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:39 AM

22,696 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I know about 5 people in their 30s who live at home and it really ranges from a pathetic deadbeat mooching off his parents to a couple of friends who are gainfully employed, completely independent (the could afford to live on their own) and moved home to help parents and save money. I don't think it's always a sin to live with parents as an adult - really depends on the circumstances. As far as young adu, and I elts in their 20s, I think it can even make sense in this day and age of skyrocketing education costs and diminished job prospects. But again it depends on the particular circumstances.
I left "home" much later than planned because my dad became disabled when I was in my late teens. Dad was depressed and needed support, and mom had to work full time for the first time in her life. By God, you'd think that she was working in the mines.

It took years, but the dust finally settled, and I moved out when I was 28.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM

178 posts, read 105,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
What do you do if you have a girlfriend, just stay at her place? (I'm assuming you are a male)
Here comes the old, worn out shaming tactics.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Incidentally, I do know of someone - a close relative - who also lived with his parents until they passed away. This is someone in a professional job, so fairly intelligent and quite able to support himself financially if he opted to live independently. But he never did. He got married after his mother died - he was mid life then, and married someone with serious emotional problems. I guess the saying that "water seeks its own level" is true with this man.
So, bc he lived at home until his parents passed he deserved an emotionally damaged wife? Must be the new math.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have several relatives that have lived at home well into their 40's and 50's. My cousins have all lived on and off with my aunt in her house or on her property in a trailer without paying rent with their wives and children. My uncle moved back in with my grandparents in his in his early 40's when he got divorced. It is now over 15 years later and he has never moved out. He was in a motorcycle accident about 10 years ago and now is on disability with no plans of working ever again. My grandparents are getting pretty old and I don't know what his plans are for when they die. Living at home has given him the financial freedom to buy Harleys and a nice new pickup truck every few years.
I have a cousin who lived at home & is still there in his 60's & his parents have passed. I don't see anything wrong w/ his life. He didn't marry, cudos for that. I would have stayed at home if I didn't have a tough love mother. She was the best cook & homemaker I ever knew. Why would I want to leave that. Tossed me out when I was young, sink or swim. I've owned my own home since my early 20's.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
It's no different than living somewhere with your Parents picking up the tab for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or