U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 PM

1,012 posts, read 948,454 times

Advertisements

In my father's culture, the girls stay at home until they're married. And that's what I did.
My mother, however, wanted me out of her house many years earlier!

I have friends who divorced, took their kids and moved back in with their parents. The parents were happy to have them home.

My aunt lived at home until she was in her 40s. Initially it was because her work was right across the street (why give up walking to work??) and then she took care of my grandparents when they got older. Eventually she met a man she wanted to live with, and moved out.

I do think that if you're living at home, you should contribute to the household, and spoil the old folks a bit though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM

115 posts, read 85,255 times
Still living here rent free, guys.

Rent: nothin'
Internet/Cable: $0 per month
Utilities: $0
Car: $0 (free)

Just got a free breakfast on the family too. So that means groceries are also zero.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 AM

13,364 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Well, "this" is actually an internet forum with worldwide scope.

Also, "because that's how we do it here" isn't really a compelling argument. Your other questions at least raise some valid points.
Ha! What IS compelling is that in other countries, kids living with their parents have their OWN families too! They didn't freeze in time as a grown teenager eating cheetos on the couch playing video games. They found a spouse and started their own families - not living OFF their parents, just living WITH them and likely helping THEM out. That is VERY different than this movement in the U.S. - at least as it pertains to grown men.

Typical adult women only move back when they've divorced and are trying to raise their children on their own - a somewhat different scenario than for men.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:57 AM

13,364 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Sure, the boomers could move out at 18 in their day. Back then, you could get a union manufacturing job that paid enough to buy a house and raise a couple of kids, and you would have a pension to retire on. If you went to college, the tuition was low enough and you would most likely make 100k+ straight out of graduation because college educated people were very rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
LOL...... not even close to true. Engineering graduates in 1982 (Boomer born in 1964) had an average salary of $ 24,100. Engineers graduating in 1974 earned an average of $12,200 a year. 100K is not even close.
I would rep you 10 times if I could!

The stories just get crazier and crazier as the legend of the Boomers grows! Degrees were "rare"? True that about 33% are college grads now, but in 1970 it was 12% - not common but not rare...by 1980 it was 17%. Anyway, back to the legend....everyone made $100k (college grad or union), college was free (hmm, why didn't EVERYONE go then?), and houses only cost $50k. ....so the legend says.

Of course, who remembers the inflation rates during those boomer years - from 1979-1990 30 year mortgage interest rates were DOUBLE DIGITS with a high of 16% interest....what are they now.....4%? Yeah, buying a home was easy back then!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM

880 posts, read 564,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post

Just got a free breakfast on the family too. So that means groceries are also zero.

Cool.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 989,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post

Sounds terrible.

You can't put a price on freedom.

And while my parents and I have an awesome relationship, I think they would be mortified if I was still living with them in my 30's-40's out a necessity. No parent really wants that for their child.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:34 PM

416 posts, read 256,518 times
No respect for you.... I couldn't stand being around a mooch like that. Yeah you pay no rent, no food ect... saving big money. But where is your self respect? How could you have any? Do you have a significant other? How can they stand this? Maybe for the money. Even the money wouldn't draw me into a relationship with someone who wasn't an adult and couldn't (or wouldn't) be independent. Nope....

Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 706,964 times
If you're over the age of 26 living at home and contribute nothing to the house you are a deadbeat. If you want to stay home and your parents don't mind (doubtful) then you're part of that household and you should be paying 1/3 of everything.. Its one thing if you're just coming out of school and looking for a job, or if you were laid off and need a place short term fine. But if this is a long term thing with no real goal of leaving any time soon you should be paying your share period. You probably sit there and talk about how unfair life is, then eat all your parents food, watch their tv, sleep in their house, use their water.. and give nothing back.. talk about fair.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM

1,066 posts, read 706,964 times
Just wanted to followup on that last post as I do know someone in their 30s who lives at home, and though they don't pay for anything they literally do everything around the house. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, food shopping, repairs, updates, yard work, etc. The parents literally have to do nothing so its almost like having a live-in maid and that seems to work out for everyone for the time being. But if you just sit around doing nothing all day you should really be contributing.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:06 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,203,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
If you're over the age of 26 living at home and contribute nothing to the house you are a deadbeat. If you want to stay home and your parents don't mind (doubtful) then you're part of that household and you should be paying 1/3 of everything.. Its one thing if you're just coming out of school and looking for a job, or if you were laid off and need a place short term fine. But if this is a long term thing with no real goal of leaving any time soon you should be paying your share period. You probably sit there and talk about how unfair life is, then eat all your parents food, watch their tv, sleep in their house, use their water.. and give nothing back.. talk about fair.
For some reason, this post made me really wish my parents did not get divorced. Bittersweet, since they are now in new relationships.

I have two different "home"s in this sense of the term (but live at neither of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or