U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,853,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Guys, think of it as a free hotel. I come and go and best of all I pay nothing. I think some of you are jealous of my lifestyle.
Jealous of stealing from your parents and unable to handle being out on your own. hahahahahaha....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:42 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,336 times
Quote:
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
Go live with my parents. I guarantee you will be wanting your own place within a week. I moved out at 17 and never returned.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 PM

16,255 posts, read 7,121,402 times
Quote:
Guys, think of it as a free hotel. I come and go and best of all I pay nothing. I think some of you are jealous of my lifestyle.
Not hardly.

What I'm thinking to myself is that even though I've had some tough times, and have made some not-great choices, at least I've managed to stand on my own two feet.

Both you and your parents are apparently happy with you acting the part of a 7-yo. Growing up is hard, and you'll have to do it sooner or later. You've lost a lot of time.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:34 PM

11,898 posts, read 14,375,910 times
I know people in their fifties and sixties who still are. One even stated the Bible says you should live with parents until marriage (but, of course, could not cite chapter and verse!)

Old 01-02-2016, 08:59 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,086,040 times
There are some cultural differences that account for differing opinions on this. It seems more "normal" in Asian cultures or have 2 or 3 generations living under the same roof by choice.

Mainstream American culture tends to frown upon the practice. I consider myself part of mainstream American culture and did find it difficult to remain at Dad and Stepmom's house until a bit after I graduated from college at 23. Felt the need to get the hell out of there by then and put some space between myself and any of the parental units, and I had no trouble adjusting to living like an adult. Nowadays more than a decade later I don't have a strong opinion either way...if it works for you and your family then fine. I boomeranged back to Dad's house for about a year between the age of 29-30...firmly an adult at that point and was looking to make a career change. It wasn't the same as when I was in college. I had more of an appreciation for the realities of adulthood by then and genuinely appreciated their hospitality. And they appreciated having me around to help them do stuff around the house and look after the place when they weren't there. After that I went back out on my own again and thought nothing of it. It worked for the time being.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 AM

1,572 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
There are some cultural differences that account for differing opinions on this. It seems more "normal" in Asian cultures or have 2 or 3 generations living under the same roof by choice.
Right. I used to work with a Hmong dude who was married, living with his wife, parents and uncles under the same roof. He made really decent money for his age and would get job offers for better money like 2 hours away from where he lives now, another part of the state. I'd say, "why don't you take the job?" and he'd respond, "I don't want to move away from my family."

Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 AM

983 posts, read 697,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Right. I used to work with a Hmong dude who was married, living with his wife, parents and uncles under the same roof. He made really decent money for his age and would get job offers for better money like 2 hours away from where he lives now, another part of the state. I'd say, "why don't you take the job?" and he'd respond, "I don't want to move away from my family."
From what the OP says it sounds like he is doing this for financial reasons..

Old 01-03-2016, 03:25 AM

18,033 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
From what the OP says it sounds like he is doing this for financial reasons..
I think he's making it up.

He wants to see what people will say.

I've heard of very few people of that age living with their parents and earning good money but not doing anything at all to help out and not paying rent. One of them had a nervous breakdown when his parents died. That's because he had never grown up, was totally dependent upon them, didn't know how to do anything for himself, couldn't even cook, had very few friends (honestly, who would socialize with a 40 year old man who still lived with his parents and contributed nothing?), and had never had to learn to cope in the real world. His parents died within a few months of each other so he was abruptly left all alone.

This person suddenly realized how weak and inexperienced he was and simply fell apart. He ended up in a mental ward of a hospital and eventually lost everything. Last I heard he was living in one room and getting some sort of charity.

I also knew a woman who lived with her parents and did nothing. She never even worked. I think she lives in a run down trailer somewhere in Florida now. Sometimes she could con people into doing things for her. That's the only way she could get anything done because she wasted her growing up time, being a slug. She never learned how to live her life.

In this country if someone is living this way you have to wonder why--or even wonder if they're telling the truth.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,330,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think he's making it up.

He wants to see what people will say.

I've heard of very few people of that age living with their parents and earning good money but not doing anything at all to help out and not paying rent. One of them had a nervous breakdown when his parents died. That's because he had never grown up, was totally dependent upon them, didn't know how to do anything for himself, couldn't even cook, had very few friends (honestly, who would socialize with a 40 year old man who still lived with his parents and contributed nothing?), and had never had to learn to cope in the real world. His parents died within a few months of each other so he was abruptly left all alone.

This person suddenly realized how weak and inexperienced he was and simply fell apart. He ended up in a mental ward of a hospital and eventually lost everything. Last I heard he was living in one room and getting some sort of charity.

I also knew a woman who lived with her parents and did nothing. She never even worked. I think she lives in a run down trailer somewhere in Florida now. Sometimes she could con people into doing things for her. That's the only way she could get anything done because she wasted her growing up time, being a slug. She never learned how to live her life.

In this country if someone is living this way you have to wonder why--or even wonder if they're telling the truth.
This! OP has five posts total. Four of them are related to this topic, in two different forums. Yes, there are people like this in the world, but usually, a person in this situation is somewhat naive and would be totally oblivious to how much differently their situation is to how everyone else lives. In this case, OP is actually boasting about freeloading off his parents. I think its more likely he's just trying to evoke a response.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,441,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
In America, this is extremely unusual, as you probably know. Yes, in this economy many people have been obliged to move in with their parents, but it's not the norm, and most of these people were living independently.
36% of people 18 to 31 years olds live with their parents. So I would say that itís not even unusual, let alone extremely unusual for it to happen.

Millennials, in Their Parentsí Basements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or