Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Right. I used to work with a Hmong dude who was married, living with his wife, parents and uncles under the same roof. He made really decent money for his age and would get job offers for better money like 2 hours away from where he lives now, another part of the state. I'd say, "why don't you take the job?" and he'd respond, "I don't want to move away from my family."
The major difference is that many of the children in these multigenerational households are providing support for their parents. That is a far cry from the OP who is just mooching.

===

For the prior poster, there is a lot of difference between an 18 year old who still lives at home (and might be attending school still) and a 31 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I moved back when SO unexpectedly ended up in a war zone. It was like turning back time. My father acted as if I had not been gone ten years. In retrospect - I should have enjoyed every moment instead of fighting him every moment.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
I lived at home during my postdoc. I got a postdoc opportunity near my parents and had just moved back from completing my PhD. I wasn't making a whole lot until after I completed my postdoc.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I still live at home and I'm in my 70's, oh wait, it's my home, sorry !

Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
I lived in my parents home during vacation periods when I was in college. I have lived in my home ever since.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
36% of people 18 to 31 years olds live with their parents. So I would say that it’s not even unusual, let alone extremely unusual for it to happen.

Millennials, in Their Parents’ Basements

That data is more than 2 years old fwiw also the number isn't the far off from where it was in 2007 however I think it's largely useless to include folks 18 years old in the data. A better subset would be 22-35 or even 24-35

Old 01-03-2016, 04:21 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
If you are not helping with expenses, home maintenance, their personal needs, paying rent, etc. you are taking advantage of them. Shame on you.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:22 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I wouldn't be happy living with my parents and taking advantage of them as an adult. I also wouldn't let my parents pay my car note either as an adult. I wouldn't want to rent space from my parents but I'd find that more respectable than paying nothing while my parents paid for my car as well

Old 01-03-2016, 04:33 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I wouldn't be happy living with my parents and taking advantage of them as an adult. I also wouldn't let my parents pay my car note either as an adult. I wouldn't want to rent space from my parents but I'd find that more respectable than paying nothing while my parents paid for my car as well
With the exception of 16-year olds, who has their parents paying for their car?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:37 PM

269 posts, read 371,079 times
Technically I lived at home until I was 30 when I bought a house and then moved overseas. When I was living with my parents I did attempt to pay my way - but no way they would take rent, and same with groceries - some parents are just that way, so OP may not necessarily be mooching. However he does seem proud of the fact that he's not helping out his parents at all

I'm in my 40s now and during the years I've bought my parents a few big items - not to pay back really but I guess that's part of it. Briefly lived with them again when I returned from overseas (my house had tenants and needed renovating) but eventually moved back into my place and love being in my own space again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living