U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:59 PM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
36% of people 18 to 31 years olds live with their parents. So I would say that itís not even unusual, let alone extremely unusual for it to happen.

Millennials, in Their Parentsí Basements
Keep in mind its a snapshot, not a lifelong study.

I lived with my mother about a year ago, I was recovering from spinal surgery and unable to care for myself. This was a snapshot, not a continuing situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:08 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That data is more than 2 years old fwiw also the number isn't the far off from where it was in 2007 however I think it's largely useless to include folks 18 years old in the data. A better subset would be 22-35 or even 24-35
Well, that's in the article too, and the numbers have been going up since 2007.

16% of 25 - 31 year olds live with their parents (2012 data).

Old 01-03-2016, 05:27 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Keep in mind its a snapshot, not a lifelong study.

I lived with my mother about a year ago, I was recovering from spinal surgery and unable to care for myself. This was a snapshot, not a continuing situation.
It is a snapshot of the amount of people living with their parents at the time of the poll. The amount of adults who live with their parents at some point would be much higher. I don’t think that there is any doubt that the majority of Americans live with their parents at some point in their adult life. The majority makes it normal.

Most people I have known, live with their parents when it’s necessary, and on their own when possible. But it’s still normal for adults to live with their parents.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
I moved out at age 22. Though I love my parents, I love my own personal space. When my husband and i was transitioning jobs/locations we moved back in. Both financially stable but wanted to take our time moving back. They never charged us rent or anything which helped us save even more. Very grateful. However, I couldnt stay forever. Being married, its not even an option haha.

My husband's uncle moved back home to his parents after a divorce and never left. He is in his 60s now. I suppose if your alone especially it may be beneficial to, but being single/planning to have family one day or needing independence at all it wouldnt work forever. Not to me anyways.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:42 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Mooching isn't good, but I think the whole narrative of parents and kids dying to get away from each other is a little overblown. My family wasn't like that on either side and I hope things aren't like that with my own kids. I think the media strings this along by portraying living at home as automatically meaning loser and parents as surely being miserable. Plenty of parents don't see having their grown kids at home (at any age) as mooching. If the parents are in extreme poverty it may be a burden, but if the parents are somewhat financially comfy, having a an extra person at home isn't that big of a deal...cooking a little extra at meal time and the power/water bill goes up a tad. If their child has no income and doesn't go to school - that may be unhealthy, but otherwise, if everyone is happy being together I don't see the big deal.

I have an aunt that never married or moved out, but she's always worked. As my grandparents got into their 70s and 80s, it was extremely helpful having her at their house. She could help them with stuff around the house, reading labels, cleaning dishes, grocery shopping, doctor appointments and they just generally gave each other companionship. Neither party ever had any complaints. The only bad thing is when my grandparents passed away within 6 months of each other - it hit her EXTREMELY hard. Luckily, she has 3 siblings, aunts, cousins and nephews/nieces to spend time with.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,158,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Mooching isn't good, but I think the whole narrative of parents and kids dying to get away from each other is a little overblown. My family wasn't like that on either side and I hope things aren't like that with my own kids. I think the media strings this along by portraying living at home as automatically meaning loser and parents as surely being miserable.

I agree with this, quite frankly.

I always comment on these threads because I'm 41 and live with my mother. Have for over a decade now and will continue to live with her till she dies.

When people find this out, I do get the sideways glances. It's ingrained in the American culture to look down on people who live with their parents.

But really, what is wrong with living with someone you enjoy the company of and share expenses and responsibilities with? Absolutely nothing, and I think plenty of adults who live with their parents have this arrangement, despite the nerdy introvert in the basement or the super-mooch like the OP is talking about caricature.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
Except the OP says he *doesn't* share expenses with his parents. They pay for everything except about $200 of restaurant meals. He doesn't say if he helps with chores.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Except the OP says he *doesn't* share expenses with his parents. They pay for everything except about $200 of restaurant meals. He doesn't say if he helps with chores.
I wonder if that's really an issue if the parents can afford it? Maybe they simply enjoy having their family close and sharing their wealth with the kid(s)?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 PM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I wonder if that's really an issue if the parents can afford it? Maybe they simply enjoy having their family close and sharing their wealth with the kid(s)?
It's not merely a question of money. It's a question of what it means to be a self-respecting adult rather than a charming kid.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
It is also about being able to handle adult responsibilities. How to buy/pay for a car. How to pay bills, budget, plan meals and prepare them. Independent living skills and experiences. Things that it sounds like this poster is not experiencing.

Last edited by Gabbythecat; 01-03-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or