U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:07 AM

4,541 posts, read 806,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & I live with my mom for the same reasons. She will pass before Spring there is no one else to take care of her & I am a only child. We moved in when she was told that her cancer had got to the point where it's only a matter of time now.

Back to the OP: I have seen several articles & seen where people are moving back. It might be to save money, a bad divorce, or their college loans are making it tough to make a living & pay them off at the same time. I don't think this is the OP's case it sounds like he's sponging off his parents & likes to brag about it.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:49 AM

7,021 posts, read 5,210,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Not long ago I saw a very sad story about a man who had been living with his mother as a freeloader. When she became elderly and needed care, he didn't give it to her. Didn't want to waste the inheritance. By the time the police came and found her, it was a horrible case of elder abuse and neglect. She was starving to death (literally) and maggots were feeding on her filth encrusted bed sores. The son was using her retirement income for his own satisfaction. Horribly sad.

If you are indeed freeloading off your parents, OP, without making any kind of contribution to the house (even helping with chores, etc), your parents ought to be very suspicious of you as they get older.
Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? Not that I would want to live OP's life (although the free rent would appeal to me,) but Has he said that he doesn't do anything around the house? Maybe his parents prefer to have him around.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:53 AM

983 posts, read 697,871 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the op says he doesn't help with house chores, given his attitude...

Old 01-07-2016, 12:07 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,215,201 times
If I were to get a job in the same city as one of my parents, I might live with them rent free for a month or two before finding a place, but long-term it wouldn't be good. It's a lot easier to keep being responsible for myself than to become dependent again and have to re-learn (at some point) how to live on my own without being uncomfortable. I'm 29, FWIW.

Also, parents have worked hard for many years and deserve a decent retirement. They earned it, I should do the same.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM

4,346 posts, read 4,435,033 times
It's one thing if you are staying there while in school, if you have large student loans, if you lost your job, or if you are trying to save up for a down payment on a house and are using it to save expenses for a year or so. Seems to be quite another when you completely live off your parents (pay no rent, pay no utilities, pay for no food, etc.) just because you can. IMO that's taking advantage of your parents in most cases. Are you planning to help them when they retire? Will you care for them when they need care? If the answer is yes, then it may be equitable.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 PM

596 posts, read 332,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Jealous of stealing from your parents and unable to handle being out on your own. hahahahahaha....
Go have another stroke. I've always hated your posts.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,800,940 times
closing at 40 in a few years, never moved out of my parents' home. It's not because I wanted to. Life's tough living with a disability. I'm Deaf with a salad bowl of hearing in my left ear. I pay my rent and help around the house

Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 991,300 times
If you aren't disabled and making a decent living, I don't know why you'd want to. I get along with my parents great, but I wanted to develop relationships with people on my own terms and that requires having your own space. I've lived in some dumps along the way but having the freedom to do as you please with no interference is a part of becoming an adult. No idea how you'd plan on starting a serious relationship with anyone still living at home by choice. I went to college, started living on my own, and never once had the thought about returning to live with my parents.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM

983 posts, read 697,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
closing at 40 in a few years, never moved out of my parents' home. It's not because I wanted to. Life's tough living with a disability. I'm Deaf with a salad bowl of hearing in my left ear. I pay my rent and help around the house
What happens when your parents are gone? What will you do then?

Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 PM

12,138 posts, read 8,117,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
What happens when your parents are gone? What will you do then?

Hope that his internet GF lets him move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or