U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Don't be so hard on him. He can always find a internet GF!
Grammar police notice: there is a hyphen between the words 'hard' and 'on'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:56 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,021,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.

Congrats. You have the right idea. I left at 30 but only because of impending marriage. If not for that, I'd probably still be there, at age 72.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 AM

206 posts, read 155,482 times
I returned to the parents after 18 years. Worked full-time in modestly paying jobs but my priority was ability to self support to stay away from my miserable parent's situation.

Local work situations in town have created lots of sex harassment and hostile work environments, no unemployment is paid and takes at least a year with attorney to get back to 'normal'. Gave up and sold my home here as things are only getting worse.

Worked my way around a few different cities REALLY nicely, but one bad apartment choice and I needed to return to parents to feel safe once I found out about the neighborhood's problems. Guess there was a reason a lot of the apartments were empty?

I cover all my own food/bills...Working on finding new house, though could be a few years as met with too many predatorial situations or psycho stuff hunting down women who moved there solo for terrible relationships or use her welfare check, solo males go broke. Cops won't help you leave either.

May be VERY advisable to remain with your family if you might want to live alone
. My city has LOTS of shops keeping low paid female employees for 4-6 months, trash her, fire her without unemployment and try to land her for relationship. This is happening to some people who moved to take a job in another part of country, city or country...Moved around a bit in last couple years and saw multiple places ruining some of the women who went there alone...Is bad when I'm a huge lady right now and I've been screwed...

Old 01-11-2016, 02:25 AM

367 posts, read 313,602 times
This is very very common in many cultures. Many East Indians I know have very good salaries yet still live with there parents even when married. it makes sense financially and always have a free babysitter for date nights.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:33 PM

24,726 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Guys, think of it as a free hotel. I come and go and best of all I pay nothing. I think some of you are jealous of my lifestyle.
Troll post?

Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 PM

998 posts, read 1,184,975 times
I have several relatives that have lived at home well into their 40's and 50's. My cousins have all lived on and off with my aunt in her house or on her property in a trailer without paying rent with their wives and children. My uncle moved back in with my grandparents in his in his early 40's when he got divorced. It is now over 15 years later and he has never moved out. He was in a motorcycle accident about 10 years ago and now is on disability with no plans of working ever again. My grandparents are getting pretty old and I don't know what his plans are for when they die. Living at home has given him the financial freedom to buy Harleys and a nice new pickup truck every few years.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:44 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,391,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
closing at 40 in a few years, never moved out of my parents' home. It's not because I wanted to. Life's tough living with a disability. I'm Deaf with a salad bowl of hearing in my left ear. I pay my rent and help around the house
This is a totally different situation. Life is tough w/ a disability but your doing great. Helping out is more than enough.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 2,019,631 times
Think about a lion kid never move out his lion parent's cave, and always get sheltered by his lion parents, doesn't matter how big he gets, his parents got him food, and he just sits around doesn't do much, and one day, big storm came and the cave got wiped out......

I can make a movie out of it.

Imagine that picture in your head.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:16 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,952,891 times
It's pretty common in the small town I am from. If you don't leave for college and the big city, you will most likely work a local low-wage job and be living with your folks. I know one man, now in his 60's that just inherited his parents home that he lived in all his life. Small towns, like the one I grew up in pretty much give you a dead end life unless you leave.

Personally I think, OP that you are doing the smart thing. Only in America is there a big rush to move out, wrack up tons of debt, marry and get divorced in a few years and be financially ruined! Some of the users here say "well what if you have a girlfriend, or want to have friends over?" Most of them women I have met turned out to be generally unlady like. My friends were just backstabbers who wanted money. Living your life the way you want and not caring what anyone thinks is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Last edited by s1alker; 01-13-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,943,602 times
Quote:
Guys, think of it as a free hotel. I come and go and best of all I pay nothing. I think some of you are jealous of my lifestyle.
Jealous no. Disgusted more likely. Do you do nothing for your parents? With all the money you are saving, do you give THEM vacations, or buy them things or ANYTHING?

I know of no one who would be jealous of a mooch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or