Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It is a snapshot of the amount of people living with their parents at the time of the poll. The amount of adults who live with their parents at some point would be much higher. I don’t think that there is any doubt that the majority of Americans live with their parents at some point in their adult life. The majority makes it normal.

Most people I have known, live with their parents when it’s necessary, and on their own when possible. But it’s still normal for adults to live with their parents.
Well sure. That's what family does.
I spent a couple months living with my grandparents when my grandmother couldn't take care of my grandfather playing 24\7 nurse until we could get him into assisted living.

At some point my mother will be living with me, that's what family does.

Still different than a 40 year career living with your parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 01:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, I did move home after 1998. Mom was going downhill, I wasn't married and basically had nothing special going.

Stayed with her till 2006 she went to hospice, I went to MO. She died 9 months later...I was 38 when I moved in, 46 when I left.

My wife & I live with my mom for the same reasons. She will pass before Spring there is no one else to take care of her & I am a only child. We moved in when she was told that her cancer had got to the point where it's only a matter of time now.

Back to the OP: I have seen several articles & seen where people are moving back. It might be to save money, a bad divorce, or their college loans are making it tough to make a living & pay them off at the same time. I don't think this is the OP's case it sounds like he's sponging off his parents & likes to brag about it.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 AM

20 posts, read 14,377 times
Why are you particularly going for a home of that age ?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I call Bullsh*t here.....no sane parents anywhere are going to be content or happy to have a 35year old mooching off of them for that long and paying absolutely nothing. Even if they were - have you no respect for them at all? You could at the very least contribute groceries or a vacation or something sometimes.....

Just your haughty attitude puts me off and frankly, if this is true then shame on you!!! I do hope you realize they will not be obligated to leave you their $350k home when they die, and you still have to think about how much it's going to cost to take care of them in their golden years. Bye bye to all that money you're saving up....
I had the same problem with this guys post. Yep many elderly have to give the house up to spend for their health care!! Very common!!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
Well plan on being single, or with a blow up doll. Im sure your wrists will hurt soon. Cant imagine a women wanting this situation unless she is a free loader too.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Well plan on being single, or with a blow up doll. Im sure your wrists will hurt soon. Cant imagine a women wanting this situation unless she is a free loader too.

Don't be so hard on him. He can always find a internet GF!

Old 01-04-2016, 01:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Not long ago I saw a very sad story about a man who had been living with his mother as a freeloader. When she became elderly and needed care, he didn't give it to her. Didn't want to waste the inheritance. By the time the police came and found her, it was a horrible case of elder abuse and neglect. She was starving to death (literally) and maggots were feeding on her filth encrusted bed sores. The son was using her retirement income for his own satisfaction. Horribly sad.

If you are indeed freeloading off your parents, OP, without making any kind of contribution to the house (even helping with chores, etc), your parents ought to be very suspicious of you as they get older.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Keep in mind its a snapshot, not a lifelong study.

I lived with my mother about a year ago, I was recovering from spinal surgery and unable to care for myself. This was a snapshot, not a continuing situation.
I moved out and moved back in twice because of things like that. Mommy still loved me, so I had a place to live and free care. I paid for other things, but she took care of me.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:58 AM

You know the bottom line is the parents are sicker than him. They are enabling this cycle of irresponsibility. Its a parents job to throw the bird out of the nest and make sure he can fly straight. The son clearly states he has a job making 40 K, why not charge this son rent? Obviously the enablers are sicker than the user. Its one thing it help the kid when he is down , pay for school or in some certain situations many parents help their kids. Also many parents take their adult children in under certain paying conditions or responsibilities. This is creating a monster. My opinion now is not whats wrong with him that's obvious but what the hell is wrong with Mom and Dad? The parents are not doing this kid any favors in the long run. Your parents are making you much mentally weaker , and you wont realize it till much later. I know this from similar experience. Not the same but I can somewhat relate.

Last edited by stevemorse; 01-05-2016 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Not long ago I saw a very sad story about a man who had been living with his mother as a freeloader. When she became elderly and needed care, he didn't give it to her. Didn't want to waste the inheritance. By the time the police came and found her, it was a horrible case of elder abuse and neglect. She was starving to death (literally) and maggots were feeding on her filth encrusted bed sores. The son was using her retirement income for his own satisfaction. Horribly sad.

If you are indeed freeloading off your parents, OP, without making any kind of contribution to the house (even helping with chores, etc), your parents ought to be very suspicious of you as they get older.
sad and sick indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living