U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM

115 posts, read 85,167 times

Advertisements

I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,455,187 times
In my experience, throughout much of Latin America it's fairly common for unmarried adults to live with their parents quite a ways into adulthood.

So the answer is, yes, millions of people are doing so.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
It really seems strange. Don't you want your own home? Don't you want to have a place that you can decorate as you want, where you can have friends over when you want, without your parents being in the way?

And - don't your parents want their home to themselves? Maybe they would like it if you would pay rent - have you ever offered to pay rent?

Do you help with household chores, or do they do it all for you?

What happens if you get married? Would you expect your new spouse to move in with you and your parents?

This seems strange, as though you are not willing to grow up and accept adult responsibilities, financially and for maintaining a roof over your head.

In other countries, they may live this way. But this is America, not other countries.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
If that's OK with them and you why not?

I have a huge paid off house (4700 square feet) and if one of my kids wanted to move into the unoccupied finished lower level apartment I'd love to have them back.

Save the rent. Live life.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:34 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
You are proud of the fact that your parents still suport you?
I have been out of my Mother's home since I was a teenager paying my own way.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:36 PM

16,155 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Ahem - the overwhelming majority of people everywhere live at home, no matter what their age is.

Your question is, anyone still living with their birth parents?

All I can say is that once I left my parents' home for good, at 20, I never, ever looked back.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:55 PM

5,762 posts, read 2,955,896 times
What do you do if you have a girlfriend, just stay at her place? (I'm assuming you are a male)

Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,455,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post

In other countries, they may live this way. But this is America, not other countries.
Well, "this" is actually an internet forum with worldwide scope.

Also, "because that's how we do it here" isn't really a compelling argument. Your other questions at least raise some valid points.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:19 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Well, "this" is actually an internet forum with worldwide scope.

Also, "because that's how we do it here" isn't really a compelling argument. Your other questions at least raise some valid points.
u

Okay. You are right.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:30 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
In America, this is extremely unusual, as you probably know. Yes, in this economy many people have been obliged to move in with their parents, but it's not the norm, and most of these people were living independently.

It's true that you're not wasting money. But most people would find it very uncomfortable not to have a private independent life apart from their parents. I'm guessing that it has likely put a considerable dent in your social life, whether you realize it or not, and likely handicapped you in ways that you don't realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or