U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 AM

21,003 posts, read 25,781,024 times

Advertisements

I like them a lot. A rechargable will last a couple of months in my remote mouse, and I use one in a battery clock that just keeps on going.

I use them in my digital camera. That thing eats batteries up. I can get a full day for shooting and then go home and recharge the batteries. It beats throwing away used up batteries and buying a new set every time I want to use the camera.

I'm glad to hear that Eneloop makes a good battery. I just bought a set of eneloop batteries and charger and Costco for a very good price. My other rechargables are all Energizer.

My flashlights are all rechargeabe, but with a built in battery, not AA. Those work great, the battery lasts for a long time and gives good light. Also, two flashlights, circular saw, reciprocating saw that run off of a DeWalt battery, although that is a rather expensive battery.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-04-2016 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
........ I left them in the charger for two days, .........
One suggestion, you need a charger with indicator lights that tell you when the battery needs a charge and when it is done charging.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
....... My other rechargables are all Energizer........
Ooops. This thread reminded me to change the battery in the clock and the rechargable that I just took out is a panasonic. So, all my other rechargables are not all Energizer.

The Eneloop batteries I just bought are also Panasonic batteries.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM

27,202 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I use rechargeable batteries in my remote controls. Your right, they don't last very long and they are not recommended for any of my LED flashlights. The voltage is 1.2 instead of a normal battery being at 1.5. You can't really use them for high drain devices without recharging frequently. I'm already invested in a lot of rechargeable batteries but if I was starting again, I probably wouldn't do it. Too many limitations. The one nice thing, is that i never had a rechargeable battery leak and damage any devices. I've had a number of alkaline batteries leak.
I've tested fully charged Eneloops and @ about 1.41 volts. If white Eneloops @ 1900 mAh aren't lasting long enough in your device, try Eneloop Pro @ 2550 mAh, the downside is they are more expensive & can't be charged as many times.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,437,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One suggestion, you need a charger with indicator lights that tell you when the battery needs a charge and when it is done charging.
The indicator light just stays red as long as the battery is in. Maybe the charger could be the problem.

But I think the battery strength is OK, when I put it in the track pad. Iíll test it more. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,339,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've tested fully charged Eneloops and @ about 1.41 volts. If white Eneloops @ 1900 mAh aren't lasting long enough in your device, try Eneloop Pro @ 2550 mAh, the downside is they are more expensive & can't be charged as many times.
Mine are EBL 2300mAh Ni-MH. They are rated at 1500 cycles. I have not measured the actual voltage but the package says 1.2V. Rechargeable batteries ( mine anyway)seem just slightly larger in diameter than Alkaline batteries. Next time I get batteries I will have to remember to look at the Eneloops. Thank you

Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,368,392 times
Using the jargon, a "primary" battery cannot be recharged. Rechargeable batteries are great for heavy use, like phones or torches. But they tend to discharge more quickly when not used. That's why I prefer primary batteries for low usage applications like remote controls and calculators.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:19 PM

27,202 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Using the jargon, a "primary" battery cannot be recharged. Rechargeable batteries are great for heavy use, like phones or torches. But they tend to discharge more quickly when not used. That's why I prefer primary batteries for low usage applications like remote controls and calculators.
The newer ones, such as Eneloop have a self discharge rate of about 15% per year.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 PM

3,139 posts, read 6,907,284 times
I use a device for work that is powered by two AAs. They give the device around 25 hours of run time. Non recharge AAs last around 35 hours.

Work does provide us with batteries but I feel better about using rechargeables

Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 AM

10,153 posts, read 13,849,723 times
Take a look:

The Best Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers Of 2015 - MetaEfficient

It talks about the best chargers and the best batteries and comments below from users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living