U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times

Advertisements

OK an update. After some testing of the new Duracell Rechargeble StayCharged Batteries, they seem to be doing pretty good. They lasted three weeks on the initial pre-charge. Best news, after recharging and re-installing them they are at 100%. They were only at 64% out of the package. So I'm hopeful that on the full charge they will last at least a month. Still below the 2 - 3 months I get with non-rechargable Duracell batteries, but good enough.

I charged the Duracell batteries with the original cheap charger. Since it charged the Duracell batteries to 100% (the Chinese batteries only charge to 41%), I think it's safe to say that the problem is with the batteries, not the charger. The key seems to be to get good batteries. All the charger does is put the electricity in the batteries.

My test results (same charger):

Duracell Rechargeble StayCharged Batteries (lasted 21 days on the pre-charge).
Day 1 64%
Day 2 52%
Day 3 41%
Day 4 34%
Day 5 28%
Day 6 25%
Day 7 22%
Day 8 20%
Day 9 20%
Day 10 18%
Day 11 15%
Day 12 12%
Day 13 12%
Day 14 11%
Day 15 10%
Day 16 9%
Day 17 9%
Day 18 9%
Day 19 9%
Day 20 7%
Day 21 7%

Cheap crap Chinese batteries (last three days)
Day 1 41%
Day 2 9%
Day 3 7%

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-01-2016 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:52 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,785 times
So 60 days for regular Duracell alkaline versus 21 days for rechargable in the same device? I haven't timed it, but it seems I replace my TV remote rechargeable batteries about every three months, versus a few years for Duracell alkaline batteries.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 AM

867 posts, read 2,698,266 times
The type of Duracell you buy will alter your experience greatly. You can choose batteries that have larger capacity (up to 2700mAh), but that lose their charge rapidly when unused. Or there are lower capacity batteries that hold their charge well when unused, but don't hold a charge quite as long in use.

So it depends on your purpose. For photography, I go for the Japan made AA / R6 / DC1500 NiMH 2450mAh batteries. They give me the most output before losing charge when I'm shooting, but when they sit on the shelf for more than 2 weeks, I nearly always need to charge them before I shoot again. Since I only use them a few times per year, its not a big deal. I believe these are 400 cycle batteries.

When I try to use the DC1500's in battery operated 9 hour cycle Christmas lights, they only last for 2 - 3 weeks. If I use AA/HR6 DC1500 NimH 1700 mAh batteries in the Christmas lights they last 6 weeks, but they give me far fewer pops on my flash unit.

If you search for "LSD NiMH cells" in Google, you'll find a great post about this on a camera forum by Coppertrail (I do not think this site is a competing forum). Photographers use Duracell or Eneloops all the time for photography and serious photography forums discuss batteries at length.

I have found that higher cycle batteries do give me the same results as when new. They run out of juice much faster as they approach end of life.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 AM

1,738 posts, read 800,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
As you may know Panasonic Eneloop are considered the best by many.
However, Panasonic does not have one of the top rated chargers.
What is the best charger we can buy to go with our Eneloop batteries?

I have this La Crosse charger

Old 02-03-2016, 11:55 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
So what if I have to recharge batteries after three weeks instead of three months. Every time I recharge batteries instead of buying brand new disposable batteries, that is money saved. As much as the cost of batteries have gone up, that's a large chunk of money saved over the year.

Not that any of my rechargeables have to be recharged after 3 weeks, They last a long time for most of the uses. They are only good for a day in my camera, but the expensive disposables don't last over a day, either. That camera sucks juice no matter what I put in the battery compartment. My mouse and the battery powered clock run for months with the rechargeable batteries.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
So 60 days for regular Duracell alkaline versus 21 days for rechargable in the same device? I haven't timed it, but it seems I replace my TV remote rechargeable batteries about every three months, versus a few years for Duracell alkaline batteries.
That was 21 days starting with a 64% charge. After re-charging I started with a 100% charge. After three days It's still at 95%. So I’m pretty sure the charge will last at least a month, vs 2 to 3 months for regular Duracell alkaline batteries.

Which is OK with me. I started this thread because of the problems I was having with the original batteries being completely dead after just three days. I can live with changing the batteries once a month, but every three days, no way.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 AM

64,563 posts, read 66,100,109 times
just get eneloops and check again in 6 months .

Old 02-05-2016, 11:23 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Does anybody use rechargeable batteries? I recently bought a battery charger and a pack of AA rechargeable batteries. The batteries are a generic brand, BTY.

The problem, using them in devices that I normally change out regular Duracell batteries every two months I'm having to recharge these batteries every two days.

Right now I have stopped using them and gone back to the Duracell batteries. I’m wondering if I buy a pack of Duracell rechargeable batteries, can I expect the performance to be similar to the performance of the regular Duracell batteries, or if I would still have to be recharging them every other day.

So does anybody have experience with rechargeable batteries? Is my problem, cheap batteries, or is it just the nature of rechargeable batteries that the charge only lasts a couple of days?
I use them all the time and don't have any issues like you describe.
I use energizer rechargeable.

Since they are rechargeable why not buy the best quality ones.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is the charger I have, I've had it for a long time, only difference is mine came with 4 AA batteries
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Adva...attery+Charger
That's the one we got.
Would that same charger work to recharge Eneloop AAA?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
That's the one we got.
Would that same charger work to recharge Eneloop AAA?
No, it's sized specifically for AA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living