U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I just buy things as I see them on sale or clearance.

I don't have a monthly plan for stocking up, because our tastes change sometimes and then I end up with food we can't use. I buy fruit when it's in season and I buy fresh veggies when they're a good price, but I buy frozen veggies the rest of the time.

Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,255,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Hi all, I'm making a list of the best foods to buy in bulk per month to save money overall. Here's some suggestions for getting the best bulk deals I've gathered from a frugal book I read:

January: Oatmeal (National Oatmeal Month), Superbowl treats (soda, dips, crackers, and other snacks), holiday clearance items.

February: Canned items (fruit, vegetables, and meat). Valentine's day goods.

March: Frozen food

April: Ham, eggs, baking goods, butter, and other popular Easter items. Organics (for Earth Day promotions).

May: Barbecue sauce, condiments, chips, grilling meat, and hot dogs (for Memorial Day).

June: Cheese, cream cheese, butter, yogurt, and eggs.

July: Hot dogs, barbecue items, chips, and dip (for 4th of July).

August: Back-to-school items like lunch meat, snacks, and fall clothes. Clearance on summer gear.

September: Clearance on back-to-school supplies. Baby items.

October: Baking goods. Seafood (October is national seafood month).

November: Coffee. Canned goods. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, and other Thanksgiving items.

December: Party snacks. Baking goods. Post-Thanksgiving and post-Christmas sales.

Please list any more suggestions you have.
Good suggestions. For me, bulk is limited, since it's just me. But I do buy:

Oatmeal

Big Box of Bigelow Organic Green Tea bags

Toilet Paper

Old 01-14-2016, 05:19 AM

8,038 posts, read 7,063,138 times
We just watch the specials, and freeze what we buy. Every so often, a local specialty grocer puts cheese on sale at 2 or 3 dollars a lb. We stock up. I bought arm roasts and pork chops on sale yesterday, and bought several packages.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,671,042 times
We usually only buy in bulk if its a good deal and we know we will use it. With being just my husband and I, our grocery budget is small and we do not consume very much in general. Quite a few items can go bad quickly so depends. We just got a great deal on a supersize bag of tortilla chips and a bulk size container of salsa. So we did get multiples to stock up as we can go through it before it would outdate.

we do look for after holiday sales and even before holiday sales. Like mentioned, the 4th of july always brings sales on chips and BBQ items. Same thing around other holidays. We will stock up then.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM

5,278 posts, read 8,227,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I buy anything I can in "bulk" (I don't have a lot of space) whenever there is a good price, period.

Cheese: Fall and through at least the beginning of winter. I will buy and freeze. I never see cheese on sale in June.
How do you freeze cheese successfully? I have tried it before and after a month or two it is all flakey.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How do you freeze cheese successfully? I have tried it before and after a month or two it is all flakey.
It gets very crumbly. If it's cheese that I'm going melt when I cook, I shred it first.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,356,382 times
I'm having trouble thinking of anything I buy in bulk because of season AND price.

Most seasonal buys for me are produce and there is only so much of that I can buy in bulk. Some seasonal things don't freeze well, like corn on the cob (YICK).

Old 01-18-2016, 09:09 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I'm having trouble thinking of anything I buy in bulk because of season AND price.

Most seasonal buys for me are produce and there is only so much of that I can buy in bulk. Some seasonal things don't freeze well, like corn on the cob (YICK).
You can freeze corn, you just have to know what to do with it.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,286,425 times
I buy a dozen or so bags of fresh cranberries for freezing in the fall. They are a very seasonal item - I'm sure that they must be grown outside of the US and in season elsewhere but I've never known a grocery store to stock them outside of the holidays. Use them all year for baking, for chutneys and relishes, and as a side for pork dishes.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 PM

785 posts, read 770,667 times
TP, paper towels, trash bags, light bulbs, dish soap. Food: beans, oils, non stick spray, tomatoes and broth, condiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living