U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 PM

589 posts, read 504,971 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm making a list of the best foods to buy in bulk per month to save money overall. Here's some suggestions for getting the best bulk deals I've gathered from a frugal book I read:

January: Oatmeal (National Oatmeal Month), Superbowl treats (soda, dips, crackers, and other snacks), holiday clearance items.

February: Canned items (fruit, vegetables, and meat). Valentine's day goods.

March: Frozen food

April: Ham, eggs, baking goods, butter, and other popular Easter items. Organics (for Earth Day promotions).

May: Barbecue sauce, condiments, chips, grilling meat, and hot dogs (for Memorial Day).

June: Cheese, cream cheese, butter, yogurt, and eggs.

July: Hot dogs, barbecue items, chips, and dip (for 4th of July).

August: Back-to-school items like lunch meat, snacks, and fall clothes. Clearance on summer gear.

September: Clearance on back-to-school supplies. Baby items.

October: Baking goods. Seafood (October is national seafood month).

November: Coffee. Canned goods. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, and other Thanksgiving items.

December: Party snacks. Baking goods. Post-Thanksgiving and post-Christmas sales.

Please list any more suggestions you have.

Last edited by Den0190; 01-11-2016 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Blueberries late June. Clementines December. October for fresh canned vegetables, fresh pecans.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:58 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
I buy 40 pound boxes of yams in November.

Prime rib is always on sale the week before Christmas and I buy my rib steaks for the following summer. Sometimes butter and cream cheese are on sale for Christmas; if so, I stock up.

Produce in season is fine but it is rarely cheap enough to make it worth while to can or preserve it. I freeze the asparagus and snow peas that I grow myself.

It's not food, but I buy my pens and sharpies right before school starts in the fall because there are always good sales on school supplies. The day after Christmas, I buy wrapping paper and candy at the half price sale.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-11-2016 at 11:18 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
I buy anything I can in "bulk" (I don't have a lot of space) whenever there is a good price, period.

Cheese: Fall and through at least the beginning of winter. I will buy and freeze. I never see cheese on sale in June.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
Among the things we buy seasonally
  • canned and other pre made soups in winter, they're seldom as cheap in warm weather and keep for a long time and,
  • local farm blueberries by the bucket in June/July, eating them in bunches and freezing them in packages and,
  • fresh cherries starting from South America and then the US West Coast when available...eating them in bunches and,
  • local corn and tomatoes in summer, until we are tired of eating them,
then miss them until next year

Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Butter, beginning around Thanksgiving through December. Always seem to find good sales then because of holiday baking. I keep butter in the freezer until it's needed. Keeps for a very long time.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I just buy things as I see them on sale or clearance.

For example, I bought four turkeys the other day for $5 each. And some frozen pies that were on clearance for $2, and cans of pumpkin for 50 cents each. I can use the pumpkin for muffins or empanadas, it's not just for pies.

I don't have a monthly plan for stocking up, because our tastes change sometimes and then I end up with food we can't use. I buy fruit when it's in season and I buy fresh veggies when they're a good price, but I buy frozen veggies the rest of the time.

And butter is always more expensive here starting just before Thanksgiving. I can get 4lbs for $10 at Sam's then, but in Jan. it will go back to being $9 for 4lbs.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
I buy a lot of the same things as others. I buy apples in the fall and preserve them. Unfortunately, I love after holiday candy sales.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Just got back from the grocery store. Christmas hams were $.99/lb and salad fixins and veggie trays marked down to $2 instead of $10. Salad to go with spaghetti for tonight and stir fry tomorrow night. One ham for Easter and another before then.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM

11,307 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Other than canned chicken stock and maybe a frozen turkey or two at Thanksgiving, I don't buy anything bulk at a particular time of year like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living