Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,009,589 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get our electric usage down, so I want to buy and install LED lights throughout the house.

We are currently using 2800 kW per month and even before the heat was turned on, our usage was substantially higher than our neighbors.

I need to buy about 30 indoor, dimmable recessed can lightbulbs. I need about 30
Ceiling fan bulbs and another 30 small bulbs to fit in the small flush mount ceiling lights.

I have looked online but the prices I am seeing cannot be the cheapest. Can they? $11-$18 per bulb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,677,470 times
Why are you using so many kW's per month? That's where you need to start to conserve, not buying lightbulbs.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,816,880 times
Home depot recently had standard size LED bulbs for $2.50. - I bought a bunch.

You will pay more for recessed fixture bulbs. You pay more for dimmable. So put recessed fixture + dimmable together and they are more expensive.

I would check homedepot still - they are reasonable.

Here is an example of a normal dimmable bulb $4.39: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Euri-Ligh...000e/206561650

Recessed dimmable bulb $7:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...9578/206421370

What other sorts of devices do you have in the house that might use a lot of electricity?

Old refrigerator?
Electric water heater
Electric clothes dryer?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
Try here ->

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...lbs-sce-g.html

Old 12-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Why are you using so many kW's per month? That's where you need to start to conserve, not buying lightbulbs.
No idea. I leave the heat set on 65. we only have one tv. None of the appliances are older than 2008. The hvac system is less than 5 years old. Windows are new. Hot water heater was just installed in March.

We were using over 1200 kW this summer when the hvac system was not even on. Light bulbs is my next possible conclusion.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Home depot recently had standard size LED bulbs for $2.50. - I bought a bunch.

You will pay more for recessed fixture bulbs. You pay more for dimmable. So put recessed fixture + dimmable together and they are more expensive.

I would check homedepot still - they are reasonable.

Here is an example of a normal dimmable bulb $4.39: Euri Lighting 40W Equivalent Soft White A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb-EA19-6000e - The Home Depot

Recessed dimmable bulb $7:
Philips 65W Equivalent Soft White BR30 Dimmable LED Light Bulb-459578 - The Home Depot

What other sorts of devices do you have in the house that might use a lot of electricity?

Old refrigerator?
Electric water heater
Electric clothes dryer?
Omg thank you! I will check these links. My head is swimming with all the options

Main fridge is 2008, freezer 2010, not sure about beer fridge. I have all electric except for the gas stove insert. Washer and dryer are 2008. Hot water heater was just installed in March. The house is on a well, but so are all the other houses in the neighborhood.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 AM

252 posts, read 274,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am trying to get our electric usage down, so I want to buy and install LED lights throughout the house.

We are currently using 2800 kW per month and even before the heat was turned on, our usage was substantially higher than our neighbors.

I need to buy about 30 indoor, dimmable recessed can lightbulbs. I need about 30
Ceiling fan bulbs and another 30 small bulbs to fit in the small flush mount ceiling lights.

I have looked online but the prices I am seeing cannot be the cheapest. Can they? $11-$18 per bulb?
The Walmart near me has a big stock of their great value brand LEDs. I bought quite a few and used them and they are great. I also purchased the great value brand of flood lights and they are great as well.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
Well's if they are deep suck alot of power.

(Takes alot of power to suck/pump the water to the surface.)

Do you have a "Smart" meter? Often with smart meter you can download the Hour by Hour usage from your electric companies web site. Might give you a idea of the time you use thing and what using the power...

Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Well's if they are deep suck alot of power.

(Takes alot of power to suck/pump the water to the surface.)

Do you have a "Smart" meter? Often with smart meter you can download the Hour by Hour usage from your electric companies web site. Might give you a idea of the time you use thing and what using the power...
Hmm I am not sure. I will look into it. I had an over 6000 kW month in March. That bill was more than my mortgage on one house.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,389,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
If they live in a house that has 90 bulbs, I would assume it is a larger house, which means it has more potential to have lots of energy demons sucking up power. My house has 28 bulbs plus 2 fan lights. So 90 would be 3 times the size of my house. My office building, which has lots of lights, still only has about 55 total (I just counted and got 48 inside and a few outside). I'm not at home to look at my power bills, but our office used 900-1700 kWh each month this year, depending on the season, and we have many lights on for 10+ hours a day, A/C (we have gas heat but it still takes power to run the blower), plus 6 computers, modem, router, a copy machine, a sound system, a telephone brain system, many phone chargers, 3 adding machines, several chargers for electric drills, and a fridge all pulling power all the time. We have a couple of LEDs, but not many yet. At home, most of mine are LED now.

If I was going through that much power, I'd suggest putting a wattage tracker on every outlet, and every appliance and figure out where all the power is getting sucked up (or just one and rotate it through each one and keep track). Remember even leaving your phone charger or laptop battery backup plugged in still sucks power even if the phone or laptop aren't plugged in. Remember that those digital clocks on your microwave, your oven, and your DVR all suck power, even if you aren't cooking or watching TV.

Also, it has been shown that for all modern bulbs, it is more energy efficient to turn the light out, even if you will only be out of the room for a few seconds, than to leave it on. Having 90 bulbs in your house doesn't matter if they are mostly off most of the time. But if you are leaving half of them on every day because you think it is more efficient not to turn them on and off, you are operating under a fallacy. Old fluorescents, that might be true, but anything modern, that is not the case.

Personally, I don't think that 1200 kWh for a house that is big enough to have 90 lightbulbs is all that bad. Of course less is better. But 1200 is pretty good. But 6000 is terrible. What you need to figure out is what you did differently between those two months. That is the most likely culprit for the power use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living