U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,580,073 times

Advertisements

I was thinking yesterday back to when my kids were little and I used to try to incentivise them to save money and do things around the house (which somehow goes back to saving money) and how it never really worked with them, but how it does work just for myself and it's unfortunate that such a thing doesn't... it does, but it's not nearly as colorful and celebratory as my kids' used to be. My hypothetical frugal adult chore chart would have the following stickers you could use to earn a prize:

"I cooked dinner from scratch!"
"I paid my credit card balance"
"I cleaned the litter box!"
"I made coffee at home!"

Others that I can think of might be:

"I completed my annual physical exam!"
"I got a pap smear!"
"I changed the oil on my car!"
"I filed taxes!"

Anyone have their own stickers they'd like credit for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 04:33 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
I took the dog for a walk!

I resisted the pistachio nuts that were on sale!

Trying to get healthier here.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:57 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Reduce, repair and reuse.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
I had two charts, when my children were at home. One was a list they did as members of the family, and a second one that I would pay for.

I run with a "to do" list, I take large goals and break them down into steps and each day gets a step. For chores I really don't like (such as weeding the garden) I do 15mins, then it can get crossed of my list - I can tolerate just about anything for 15mins.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:45 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,811,743 times
* Make pot holders from old jeans. Super frugal! as I did this for Christmas presents. I covered them with new fabrics in designs the suited the personality of those gifted. When others saw them, they wanted their own and paid me for them.
* Teach husband how to crochet so he can make his own beanie hats.
* Build a spice rack out of scrap wood.

Being creative is frugal, and fun. Also good for stress relief and is quite meditative...which can keep one from needing expensive counseling or medication....frugal upon frugal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I run with a "to do" list, I take large goals and break them down into steps and each day gets a step. For chores I really don't like (such as weeding the garden) I do 15mins, then it can get crossed of my list - I can tolerate just about anything for 15mins.
This is pretty much how I coach my clients that are trying to get a handle on their 'domestic environment' so they can have more clarity and focus in their life.
The top common excuses I am given, 'big project is overwhelming' and 'don't know how/where to start'.
I have them make a to do list with only 10-15 things. I have them estimate the times it would take to do them (after all, time is money), anything that took over an hour would get broken down. Depending on the chore, the break down done in increments of time, or by separating 'areas' making a smaller chore.
I challenge clients to beat their estimated time...
They get virtual gold stars (stickers) for every 5 minutes they beat their estimated time. No penalties for going over as well.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:19 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
I cut my own hair

I groomed the dog

We made meals at home together

We deep cleaned the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living