U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM

3,139 posts, read 6,924,736 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot...almost half of the year....so thin and light is important so I splurged. I got a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro almost two years ago with accidental damage and an extended warranty. It was nearly $1500 total. SSD, i7, super sharp display with touch screen.

But I will keep it for a long time....still happy I splurged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:47 AM

16,835 posts, read 20,693,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I travel a lot...almost half of the year....so thin and light is important so I splurged. I got a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro almost two years ago with accidental damage and an extended warranty. It was nearly $1500 total. SSD, i7, super sharp display with touch screen.

But I will keep it for a long time....still happy I splurged
Me too! My old truck isn't worth as much as my laptop LOL. Priorities!

The used Mac I got had been upgraded with an SSD and it's got the 15" monitor. I also use it as my television, so I get my money's worth out of it. And I can open up a bunch of things at the same time. Definitely worth the splurge and I intend to get at least 5 years out of it.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM

11,441 posts, read 6,484,346 times
The laptop I just bought was $200 after a coupon and $50 rebate. It has a 5th gen i3 and 8gb ram. It does everything I need which is basically internet and watching movies. If it last 2-3 years I will consider it money well spent. I will probably never spend more than $400 for a laptop. For me, expensive electronics are a waste of money. Oh, and forget insurance/warranties...$200 laptops can be thrown away if you accidentally bust the screen or drop it on concrete. I like not having to worry about breaking expensive stuff.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM

2,697 posts, read 2,794,978 times
I usually buy refurbed laptops from a place like Microcenter. These are (usually) machines that have been turned in off corporate leases. They are usually commercial grade machines a couple years old. They are available at different price points in different disk sizes, Memory, CD/DVD etc. They come reloaded with a new operating system (last one I bought was loaded with Win7 Professional but that was probably 18 months-2 years ago) I've preferred Dell Latitude series because I'm familiar with them from work and was able to get some accessories like extra power bricks and docking stations when we upgraded to new models (Who knows some of the machines may have come from our company we replace about 1500 machines a year) The machines still have the original MS tag on the bottom with an X on it and a new MS tag with the new OS license information.

I don't really care about the Microsoft license although I do create a recovery DVD and record the License information because I use Linux and completely reimage the disk. I'm currently running 3 machines acquired this way. They were all bought in the $150-$270 range. The oldest is about 5 years old the newest is between 18 mos and 2 years old. Never had a problem.

As I said these are commercial grade machines so I believe are sturdier and more durable than low end retail machines.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,382,892 times
I have a $200 Chromebook & it's been flawless. Had it for over 2 years & no issues.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Used 15 MacBook Pros starting at $100.

15 MacBook Pros.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 PM

7,204 posts, read 5,281,967 times
If your needs are very light, one of those super cheap laptops might suffice. Otherwise, it's basically electronic junk that you'll have to replace rather quickly.

Frugal would be a moderately priced computer that can keep up with your needs for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Used 15 MacBook Pros starting at $100.

15 MacBook Pros.
Because nothing says frugal like a 10 year laptop that can't run modern software.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 PM

2,697 posts, read 2,794,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If your needs are very light, one of those super cheap laptops might suffice. Otherwise, it's basically electronic junk that you'll have to replace rather quickly.

Frugal would be a moderately priced computer that can keep up with your needs for several years.
Because nothing says frugal like a 10 year laptop that can't run modern software.
The problem with an old machine that can't run modern software is that it is almost impossible to protect it fromhacking, viruses, etc. Linux runs on older less powerful hardware than modern windows does. You can get releases that promis support for security fixes for multiple years. Several run into mid 2019 right now.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:

1. They do run modern software. You just need to download the free software updates from Apple.

2. Yes, that is the definition of frugal.

Quote:

frugal
[froo-guh l]
adjective
economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful:
What your office needs is a frugal manager who can save you money without resorting to painful cutbacks.
Synonyms: thrifty, chary, provident, careful, prudent, penny-wise, scrimping; miserly, Scotch, penny-pinching.
Antonyms: wasteful, extravagant, spendthrift, prodigal, profligate.
entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty:
a frugal meal.
Synonyms: scant, slim, sparing, skimpy.
Antonyms: luxurious, lavish, profuse.
Entailing little expense I don’t see anything about "moderately priced” there.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,834,086 times
Quote:

Hmm, my 2007 MBP runs everything I want it to. <shrugs>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living