U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:44 PM

6,572 posts, read 18,009,318 times

Advertisements

A few back with my first computer got the anti virus via the internet ($39.95) that never worked. Then bought another that also claimed to fix my virus......waited a couple of mins and the SAME number of Virus was still there. Every time I tried to clean my computer of said number of virus they claimed to clean but the number stayed the same.....RIPOFF.

So later on get another New Laptop with a FREE Virus cleaner included. So I enter the info and they then claim my authorization number was incorrect.....NO, I was carefull with the numbers etc.....RIPOFF.

One [poster here said about a Wallyworld $179 computer so I thought maybe ok for my Email only.

Am in Baja Mex so clicked on to Calif Chula Vista store next to a Best Buy for my NEW 2 TV sets(Sharp 31.5 in for $180 each) to be picked up next week. Every time I click on to Wally World I get MEXICO Walmart so they LOST a potential sale. The prices here are higher then those in the US on many things and Walmart is right up there....NAFTA trade?

Not complaining here but just general info for some that may want to have an idea in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 19 days ago)

14,432 posts, read 16,748,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not that you are going to get it this weekend :-) But see my comments about refurbs a page or so back. There is a Microcenter in Towson and you can shop their stock inline. They have a tab for refurb deals They have desktops and laptops. Just remember desktops don't include a monitor. For what you are looking for a medium to lowend laptop will do you fine. I just looked at their stock and the Dell 6420 they have is a step higher then I have and Mine has been doing fine for about 3 years now. The Latitude series is a commercial grade machine and things like the hinges hold up better.
When my favorite laptop, a compac non business, had an unfortunate encounter with a little water on the keyboard, while I researched replacing the keyboard got a used win 7 compac from Walmart online. It took a little work for it to get running good, and had to run a special program which really scrubs the harddrive of bad stuff. It's called Avasti. You can download it free. I didn't try to run it with that installed as it slowed thing, but it gets rid of any and all malware and viruses by deleting them physically. I paid a hundred for the new laptop. I've moved all my music to it since it has such a good sound mixer. It's primarily a back up, but if something dies on the this one like before, after watching the videos of how to fix it I'll try that first. The hardest part of replacing the keyboard was not losing the tiny little screws.

You can also get certified refirbs which are guarenteed to work and you return them if they don't. Mine was just guarenteed, but with the program which fixed the hd, it wasn't hard to fix. I also ran it on this one and it ran a lot better, and when I do a good backup should run it again to get rid of the odd little things its collected since.

One thing when looking at refirbs. Make sure it is a full laptop, with all the drives and software.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 AM

27,422 posts, read 11,491,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Laptops, by their very nature, are going to cost more than a similarly capable desktop. Frugality would reserve purchase of laptops only in circumstances where one's life requires carrying computing power with you outside your home. Perhaps the need to access email may qualify, but I would also consider other alternatives if that is the only real impetus for purchasing a laptop rather than a desktop computer: If you're going to have a smartphone anyway, then that could be sufficient to address enough of the remote email access needs to make having a laptop no longer frugal.
Thanks for that, I keep making that argument to people and they simply don't get it. I have a neighbor who just bought a laptop, I think he paid around $600 or $700 but the specs on it are not that great. Before he bought it I tried to explain to him that he could get a desktop with a relatively large monitor for the same price and he would be able to upgrade the desktop in the future if he wanted to but he wouldn't even consider it. Instead he parks his 15" laptop on the dining room table and never moves it from there..dumbest idea in the world.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am paying $50/year for Norton. Is there a no cost virus plan somewhere out there? My laptop was from walmart, about $180 but it slowly gets expensive with the norton every year and I only use it every once in a while ...
Windows defender (comes with Windows operating system) works fine but I also run Malware Bytes The version that runs all the time is $24 a year but the free version does the same thing, you just need to run it once a week or so. I haven't paid for an anti-virus program for years. If for some reason you don't like Windows defenders there are other free options: The Best Free Antivirus Utilities for 2016 | PCMag.com

Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 PM

6,194 posts, read 3,283,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I'm not sure if you guys are buying PCs at all or mostly buying used maybe.

Recently cheap laptops are offering a lot and almost every company has them.

For example :

Robot Check

Amazon.com : Acer Chromebook, 11.6-Inch, CB3-111-C670 (Intel Celeron, 2GB, 16GB SSD, White) : Computers & Accessories

Robot Check

These are about $200 and some offer full Windows 10.

You guys like these
I don't buy used laptops. The only exception I'd make would be an Apple used that is certified by Apple. But I don't use Apple laptops (so far).

I buy laptops that have the latest processor, a certain size, etc., because I use it extensively for everything. The processor is important and helps the laptop stay more useful longer.

I research a lot, do a spreadsheet on the ones I'm interested in, best prices on them, and sales and free shipping, etc. I try to buy before the Christmas/Thanksgiving holidays, when prices are lowest. They go lower in January, but are often sold out.

I have learned that buying so-called top of the line isn't the way to go.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 PM

6,194 posts, read 3,283,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks for that, I keep making that argument to people and they simply don't get it. I have a neighbor who just bought a laptop, I think he paid around $600 or $700 but the specs on it are not that great. Before he bought it I tried to explain to him that he could get a desktop with a relatively large monitor for the same price and he would be able to upgrade the desktop in the future if he wanted to but he wouldn't even consider it. Instead he parks his 15" laptop on the dining room table and never moves it from there..dumbest idea in the world.
I have a laptop. I also have two old desktops. The laptop is for a different use. I can take it with me, which I have to do occasionally. I can carry it with me from room to room, which I do every day. I use a computer to do anything and everything, from communicating iwth friends & family, to managing financial accounts, paying bills, researching things for the house, buying from websites, looking up movie trivia, rating things, reading the news.

I don't have a tablet or smartphone because they are not capable of doing what a computer can do. For example, you can't manage financial accounts on them (you need java and sometimes Microsoft Silverlight). Smartphones are also too small to work on or use for research (like when house buying). Smartphones & tablets are for fun stuff or simple tasks. As a frugal person, I don't have a tablet or smartphone because they're not useful enough to justify the cost (for me). I do have a cheap cell phone, though.

I got my Toshiba 17" laptop, i7 processor, for less than $800 on sale in 2014. It had the top specs for that year. You have to research to find the deals. I paid extra for a student version of MS Office.

I have a desktop with 25" monitor and rarely use it. But it's older now so isn't very fast.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have a laptop. I also have two old desktops. The laptop is for a different use. I can take it with me, which I have to do occasionally. I can carry it with me from room to room, which I do every day. I use a computer to do anything and everything, from communicating iwth friends & family, to managing financial accounts, paying bills, researching things for the house, buying from websites, looking up movie trivia, rating things, reading the news.

I don't have a tablet or smartphone because they are not capable of doing what a computer can do. For example, you can't manage financial accounts on them (you need java and sometimes Microsoft Silverlight). Smartphones are also too small to work on or use for research (like when house buying). Smartphones & tablets are for fun stuff or simple tasks. As a frugal person, I don't have a tablet or smartphone because they're not useful enough to justify the cost (for me). I do have a cheap cell phone, though.

I got my Toshiba 17" laptop, i7 processor, for less than $800 on sale in 2014. It had the top specs for that year. You have to research to find the deals. I paid extra for a student version of MS Office.

I have a desktop with 25" monitor and rarely use it. But it's older now so isn't very fast.
My husband and I both have our own desktop computers, we upgrade those desktops when they will no longer support the latest OS, or when something breaks but we are able to do the upgrades ourselves so the they save us a bunch of money over time. I have a lenovo touchscreen laptop that I bought last year when we were stuck living in a motel waiting for escrow to close on our house, I still use it but only when we travel. Husband has an Ipad and I have a kindle paperwhite. We both have smartphones.

I need to confess, we are both computer junkies, my first PC was an IBM XT Clone in 198?, I recall having a 300 baud modem and accessing usenet and BBS By 1992 I had a 286 clone and was 'online' with AOL and a screaming fast 28.8 kbps modem.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM

15,315 posts, read 15,310,391 times
I've gone the cheapo route.....for the most part it has worked pretty good.

My current Laptop, a Junkshiba.....much to be desired.

I found a little industrial computer in the garbage, did not work at first, HDD light did not come on, no boot. So I cleaned the HDD-connector.......wahlah, got me a very nice little Windows-XP computer.....so much faster than my Junkshiba.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I leave my laptop on my desk most of the time (like 80%) but there are times when I move it for travel, because the grandkids are here, etc. I have a very good 24" monitor on the desk so when here I have two screens.

Whether laptops or desktops are more cost effective (I don't like the term cheaper) depends on a lot of factors I have not liked to upgrade my primary machine over the years. I will buy a new machine and build a new primary machine while using the old one then once I move to the new machine turn the older machine to a backup, sandbox, etc. This is what I learned after supporting machines in the corporate environment over the last 25 years. I keep primary machines for probably 3-5 years.

I will say I don't believe there is a single 'Right' answer. Everyone has slightly different needs so what is right for you may not be right for me but it is useful to consider different options.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,747,430 times
NO !
My laptop broke, the screen at least, so I bought a cheap TV monitor and wired it into the laptop, making it effectively a desktop. I see no reason to buy a new computer since all data and programs which I use are operational in the old one.

I also got (For Christmas) An inexpensive Amazon fire tablet, which allows me to read online (Some for free) and removes the number of books I have on the shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living