U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 3,817,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've gotten my stuff from Monoprice.com
This! monoprice.com is my go to source for any kind of electronics cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,857,073 times
I learned the same lesson a few weeks ago when I had to buy a new water filter for my new LG refrigerator. I went back to Lowes where I purchased the refrigerator, and they had the LG brand filter for it in stock for $54. Needless to say, $54 felt really high, so I didn't buy it. I went home and looked it up - Home Depot had it online for $49.99, but Amazon had it for $28.96 including shipping!! I could wait a few days for it, so I ordered it, and it arrived 5 days later - same LG brand and everything for half the price and shipping included!!

From now on, anything I can wait a few days for gets shopped at Amazon and eBay first!!!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Nobody is making any money "there" (as in, in your transaction).

These companies aren't in business to make money selling cheap electronics, they're in business to make money selling mailing lists with their customers' contact information and details about their purchases.

Look for both your mailbox and your inbox to start filling up with junk mail soon.
I have not found that to be the case.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
I just do not know what it is with sheeple and Target. I never buy anything there.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:37 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I lost the HDMI cable that I use to connect my computer to the TV--not a thing I need to use often, but once in a while I need it. So off I went to Target, and they had the thing on the shelf at $17.50. That seemed pretty high, so I didn't buy it and went and looked for it on eBay. And there were vendors selling the cable for 99 cents, shipping included--in fact you get 2 cables in a packet for that price. I ordered a package, it came in less than a week and it works fine. Of course it's made in China, but I bet Target's one was too. I just can't understand how they can put 2 of these things in an envelope and ship it to me for less than a buck. Of course I want to be frugal, but who's making any money there?
Here is how they can sell things for 99 cents and free shipping. They sell alot of under one dollar items and alot of higher priced items like electronics, etc. By being able to say that most of the items in the boxes are some cable, or some other small item that can be put into a certain category they get shipping subsidies such that they get around the high cost of shipping. For example lets say they sell 50 televisions or digital cameras. The put 500 under $1 items in the boxes. Then there is a way they avoid the high cost of shipping the TV's by saying the shipments are .......... At least that is what an Ebay power seller told us who has reported some of these Asian sellers to Ebay because it was costing them sales.

And do not be surprised if the seller gives you a refund without your permission by saying the item was lost. No it was not lost it was never shipped at all and they never intended to ship it. They used that item and hundreds like it to get around certain shipping fees and costs.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
No it was not lost it was never shipped at all and they never intended to ship it. They used that item and hundreds like it to get around certain shipping fees and costs.
I have yet to have that problem. The stuff I have ordered was shipped ePacket delivery from China, and I got a China Post tracking number with it. If it got lost, I would know exactly where it got lost. If they refunded me, I would probably just reorder again.

One problem when trying to buy from people who are minimally proficient in English, is that they really can’t communicate with you when there is a problem. I expect that many of them find it easier to just refund your money, then try to negotiate to send you a replacement.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
ebay heavily subsidizes the Chinese sellers and gives them very low shipping. Also, that 99 cents is probably worth a bit more in China than it is here.

I've bought from China on ebay but I prefer to stick to US sellers after checking their feedback of course.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,996,316 times
I wondered the same thing. Not just hdmi and other electronic cables. I bought bike stuff like lights, bell, saddle bag, etc for a few bucks at Newegg, Amz and such online retailers. Similar item sell for up to 10x what I paid. Sure it takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive but I'd rather save the money. All items I've gotten work perfectly.

The only thing I'm wary of is electronics with cheap Chinese rechargeable batteries. I read blogs about these catching on fire due to how badly the workmanship is. I buy ones that use disposable batteries or just the light that I connect to my own portable lithium battery pack.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,797,960 times
Sometimes you can get a incredible bargain and sometimes it may be a bust. I have had some of these cheap HDMI cables go bad prematurely. How does a HDMI cable go bad on its own. I have no idea how but had some of these cable with HDCP handshake issues between the devices that where corrected once the cable was replaced. I now prefer to buy the Amazon Basic cables that are affordable.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,772,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I learned the same lesson a few weeks ago when I had to buy a new water filter for my new LG refrigerator. I went back to Lowes where I purchased the refrigerator, and they had the LG brand filter for it in stock for $54. Needless to say, $54 felt really high, so I didn't buy it. I went home and looked it up - Home Depot had it online for $49.99, but Amazon had it for $28.96 including shipping!! I could wait a few days for it, so I ordered it, and it arrived 5 days later - same LG brand and everything for half the price and shipping included!!

From now on, anything I can wait a few days for gets shopped at Amazon and eBay first!!!
That's because Lowe's has to pay overhead, storage, transport and wages to keep it in stock....along with 5,000 other items...Quick gratification (As previously mentioned) or wait a bit....The difference is you'll feel it in your bank account...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or