U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM

9,107 posts, read 9,290,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The brick and mortar stores charge an arm and leg for the convenience of instant gratification - having it NOW.
All About Bars suggests that if you, as the bar owner, pay $95 for a 1984 ounces Keg that is less than a nickel per ounce. So a 10 oz. beer is costing you about 50 cents in pour cost. You should sell the draft beer for $3.

You have to pay for instant gratification.

My friend who ran a bar would tell her bartenders that it was OK to comp their friends drinks as long as it was draft beer and house wine. But the cost of hard liquor was the same for her as for everyone else. If you give it away it severely eats into the ability of the bar to break even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 AM

864 posts, read 573,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's tough to mess up an HDMI cable. It's s digital signal transmitting 1's and 0's, so picture quality tends to not suffer with lesser cables. It's not line component cables where cable quality does matter.

Back when HD TV's were kjust coming into popularity and becoming mainstream, the big box stores would sell HDMI cables for $100+ or so. You'd shell out $1500-2500 for a TV back then, and then need a $150 wall-mount and $100 HDMI cables.

Now they are cheap. You can get wall-mounts for $30 and HDMI cables all over for $1-3 depending on length.

I've gotten my stuff from Monoprice.com
Exactly. It's digital, either it works or it doesn't. And I also recommend Monoprice.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:10 PM

6,194 posts, read 3,283,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I lost the HDMI cable that I use to connect my computer to the TV--not a thing I need to use often, but once in a while I need it. So off I went to Target, and they had the thing on the shelf at $17.50. That seemed pretty high, so I didn't buy it and went and looked for it on eBay. And there were vendors selling the cable for 99 cents, shipping included--in fact you get 2 cables in a packet for that price. I ordered a package, it came in less than a week and it works fine. Of course it's made in China, but I bet Target's one was too. I just can't understand how they can put 2 of these things in an envelope and ship it to me for less than a buck. Of course I want to be frugal, but who's making any money there?
I got some cheap assorted cables from Amazon. They are generic. They work great, and they were cheeeeep. I guess I had to pay shipping, but I don't remember.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM

990 posts, read 549,623 times
I've bought a few HDMI cables from Amazon for $5 +/-. I trust amazon more than anyone selling anything for .99 on eBay. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or