U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,159,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Good for ESPN, USA, TNT, and FX. I won't be buying them at that price.
Which is part of the reason they aren't $1 a month... they'd only cost $1 a month if everyone was forced to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Which is part of the reason they aren't $1 a month... they'd only cost $1 a month if everyone was forced to have them.
In the WSJ they estimated that only four channels cost over $1 in 2014. ESPN, TNT, Disney Channel, and NFL Network. Subsequently, I am sure Fox News has passed the $1 mark.

Of inexpensive SVOD services, Hallmark is $5 a month, but you can get a year's service for $36. Acorn TV is $5 a month or $50 a year. Seeso (comedy network) from NBC universal is $4 a month for subscription services.

It will be like Jack Benny's hotel (for old guys here). The room is cheap, but then he charges for the towels, the hot water, the bedsheets, sittin' fees, etc.

For younger people it will be like Ultra Low Cost Airlines, where the airline ticket is cheap, but there is a fee for carrying on a bag, for talking to a human, for printing your boarding pass, for using a credit card, for choosing your seat, and a fee if you want to make itinerary changes.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
With SlingTV you get ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, A&E, CNN, Disney, Cartoon Network, History Channel, Food Network, HGTV, AMC, Lifetime, TNT, Travel Channel, and Bloomberg for $20.
I have Sling TV also. I use none of my T Mobile mobile wifi data to watch Sling because of the special deal they are offering (must view in 480P) The video stops from time to time but overall I like it. I bought a cable for my ipad so I can watch it on my TV.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,159,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
In the WSJ they estimated that only four channels cost over $1 in 2014.
Again: Only as long as everyone is compelled to take all channels on a tier. In other words, the current wholesale pricing is predicated in retailing the channels in packages.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:11 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Again: Only as long as everyone is compelled to take all channels on a tier. In other words, the current wholesale pricing is predicated in retailing the channels in packages.
Well, that was my point.

The cheapest SVOD service is $4 a month, and only Netflix has managed to reach over 50% of the total number of Cable TV households. HBO is commercial free and sold as an additional premium package by cable, closely resembles the business model of a SVOD service. But HBO is only targeting 10 million customers for their SVOD.

The industry is not going to cut their own head off. They will get their money somehow. Not everyone will survive the shakeout, but television is not going to suddenly be 80% cheaper.

But if you are happy watching twenty year old TV series, and you don't want to pay anything, you have more options than you did 7 years ago.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:24 AM

178 posts, read 105,560 times
Given how dumbed down tell-lie-vision is, the cable subscription may be the cause of his dementia. It's worth a shot. Everything on TV is a lie & that's demented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or