Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 10:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

"We've seen some strong interest from the public in the stores that are closing trying to take advantage of the discount," said company spokesperson Randy Hargrove.

But not everything is on sale. The deep discount doesn't apply to firearms, ammunition, fuel, prescriptions, jewelry, lottery tickets or alcohol.

Closing Walmart stores slash prices by 50% - Jan. 22, 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Wal-Mart does this or at least used to do something similar when they built a new store in the same town and abandoned the old one. It made more sense than trying to move everything over.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Having shopped at a lot of store closing sales in the last 20 years I have noticed some trends. The going out of business sales always happen in January, after the Christmas shopping season. So stock is at best lower then it was during Christmas. They don’t put everything on sale. Before the sale starts, a lot of the really popular stuff is removed from the shelves and sent to other stores or back to the manufacturers. Even before the sale starts there will be a lot of empty shelves.

They start the sale off at 25% off. The first days, a lot of idiots run in and start buying stuff at 25% off that had previously been on sale for 30% - 40% off just before Christmas. By the time they get to 50% off, half of the items are all ready gone. Eventually they drop the price to 75%, then to 90% off. That's when it gets interesting, if you can still find anything worth buying.

My favorite going out of business sale was at a Woolworth store in the mid-1990s. I bought tons of stuff at 75%, 80%, 85%, 90%, and finally at 95% off. My last trip I bought a $150 worth of stuff and paid just $7.50 for it. Pretty cool. It was mostly junk that I din’t really need, but it was useful stuff, none the less. I think I still have some of it.

Since that time I haven’t had much luck with going out of business sales. It’s seems like there are just too many idiots who buy everything before the discounts get good enough.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Most of the closing stores are in .... Brazil.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Having shopped at a lot of store closing sales in the last 20 years I have noticed some trends. The going out of business sales always happen in January, after the Christmas shopping season. So stock is at best lower then it was during Christmas. They don’t put everything on sale. Before the sale starts, a lot of the really popular stuff is removed from the shelves and sent to other stores or back to the manufacturers. Even before the sale starts there will be a lot of empty shelves.

They start the sale off at 25% off. The first days, a lot of idiots run in and start buying stuff at 25% off that had previously been on sale for 30% - 40% off just before Christmas. By the time they get to 50% off, half of the items are all ready gone. Eventually they drop the price to 75%, then to 90% off. That's when it gets interesting, if you can still find anything worth buying.

My favorite going out of business sale was at a Woolworth store in the mid-1990s. I bought tons of stuff at 75%, 80%, 85%, 90%, and finally at 95% off. My last trip I bought a $150 worth of stuff and paid just $7.50 for it. Pretty cool. It was mostly junk that I din’t really need, but it was useful stuff, none the less. I think I still have some of it.

Since that time I haven’t had much luck with going out of business sales. It’s seems like there are just too many idiots who buy everything before the discounts get good enough.
There's a Macy's store closing near us and I went to the 'closeout sale' geezus..stuff that had been 50% off on clearance was now 20% off. I asked a clerk about it and she said "we aren't doing the sale, a liquidation company is and that's how they always do these" But in spite of that people were buying stuff like crazy..go figure

Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There's a Macy's store closing near us and I went to the 'closeout sale' geezus..stuff that had been 50% off on clearance was now 20% off. I asked a clerk about it and she said "we aren't doing the sale, a liquidation company is and that's how they always do these" But in spite of that people were buying stuff like crazy..go figure
Thats what happened to me when Montgomery Wards was going out of business. At the Christmas clearance sale, I saw a really nice leather recliner on sale for $360. It was like a $700 chair. I wanted to buy it, but I had already read articles that Wards was going out of business and would have a liquidation sale the next month. I knew they had a large inventory of these chairs and I would probably get a better deal waiting.

The liquidation sale started, and the recliner I wanted was priced $500. They had like 50 of them on display. Nobody was buying them. The next week they were priced $420. I noticed some people buying them. I wasn't about to pay $420 when they had just been on sale for $360. I went back a few days later, and all the chairs were sold out except for a few badly damaged ones. At least 50 people at that store paid $420 for chairs that had been $360 before the liquidation sale.

I think I will skip the Macy’s store closing. Most of that stuff will probably end up on eBay anyway.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't know what sort of fixtures will be on sale at a Walmart closing, but I bought a pair of gorgeous heavy weight glass and brushed chrome tables that had been store display racks from a department store that went out of business. Much better made than anything in a regular furniture store.

One table was the perfect height for the big screen TV and the other was kitchen counter height and added more counter space to my kitchen.

Although, trying to visualize the display shelves and cabinets in Walmart and maybe there isn't anything that would go into a home.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yep. Found this out a few years back. Along with the liquidation company selling off the best stuff to discounters like Big Lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living