U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 PM

785 posts, read 770,667 times

Advertisements

What have you stocked up on? Is a week away from payday going to be tough for you?

I have lots of canned tomatoes, canned beans, canned corn, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayo and evaporated milk and broth. I have dried beans, lentils, rice and split peas and pasta and flour and cornbread mix. I have cheese, frozen chicken, frozen peas, broccoli, and fish. I have fresh tortillas and naan, yogurt, butter and bacon, 3 dozen eggs, and a few potatoes. I have about 2 pounds of cheese and a lot of that powdered Parmesan. The chicken and eggs and evaporated milk would be my main source of protein. Enough bulk tea for a week. I might not make it on sugar. I may not have what I want to have, but we would do OK on an emergency menu for a week from payday..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:12 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
I have two beef roasts, four packs of boneless beef ribs, five packages of chicken tenders, six pounds of hamburger meat, three turkeys, 8 packs of boneless chicken breast, 5 steamable bags of mixed veggies, 5 steamable bags of corn, 3 broccoli, 5 lbs frozen stir fry veggies, 5 lbs frozen fries. I have several kinds of rice, cans of refried beans, pinto beans, kidney beans and flavored beans, 6 cans of soup, two jars spaghetti sauce, 10 lg cans tomato sauce, 6 cans ro-tel tomatoes, 6 cans tomato paste, several cans of peas, canned pumpkin, cherry pie filling. 15 lbs flour, two bags flour tortilla mix, 4 lbs cornmeal, 10 lbs of pasta noodles, extra ketchup, mustard, mayo, 4 lbs cheddar, 3 lbs mozzarella, several dozen eggs, 2 lbs butter, 3 blocks of cream cheese. One of those big packs of precooked bacon that's more than half full. Cake mixes, brownie mixes, brown sugar, white sugar, turbinado sugar, honey. Half a jar of yeast in the fridge and another pound of yeast in the pantry. Lots of instant potatoes, stuffing mix, etc. A big box of powdered milk, half full. Two bags of protein powder. I have 5 or 6 pies in the freezer and I also have some cooked shredded chicken and several dozen pork tamales. I've got 16 Greek yogurts in the fridge, along with 3 lbs sour cream. I have 10 lbs dry pinto beans and several packs of frozen bacon...in a real pinch, I'd cook up a crock pot of beans and serve it with cornbread, then the next day I'd use the rest of the beans for bean tacos...if you make homemade tortillas, it tastes so good you don't even notice if you don't have cheese to go with it.

We'd be good for a month, a month and a half if we had to. I've been there before and learned to plan ahead. I'd have to buy a couple gallons of milk but I keep enough change stashed around the house for things like that...I've got a couple dollars worth of change in each of my purses on my closet shelf...the hubby doesn't think to check them all if he's looking for vending machine money, so I never run out.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
A week from payday is not going to be tough for us, we always have food in the house.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 AM

16,744 posts, read 20,511,200 times
I have plenty of food in the cupboards, but I have the flu and I admit, I drove through the Little Caesar's drive-through window tonight and used a credit card to order a supreme pizza :-) Anything else just seemed like more work. I was already dressed to take the dog out, and thought, I'm just going to get in the truck and get food I don't have to cook.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have plenty of food in the cupboards, but I have the flu and I admit, I drove through the Little Caesar's drive-through window tonight and used a credit card to order a supreme pizza :-) Anything else just seemed like more work. I was already dressed to take the dog out, and thought, I'm just going to get in the truck and get food I don't have to cook.
You have the flu and you are eating pizza? Yuck, I can barely keep water down and it is not pleasant coming back up when I have the flu, there is no way I could or would eat pizza.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Week before payday is not much different than week after payday.
We always have enough food to last a month... or longer.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Interesting question. We'd just continue as normal, cooking and eating out as planned. I usually have a week's worth of groceries at a time in fridge and pantry, maybe a couple of days more. Frugality does not necessarily go hand in hand with living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,731,108 times
there is enough food in the larder and the freezer to last several months...at least!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 AM

920 posts, read 598,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
What have you stocked up on? Is a week away from payday going to be tough for you?

I have lots of canned tomatoes, canned beans, canned corn, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayo and evaporated milk and broth. I have dried beans, lentils, rice and split peas and pasta and flour and cornbread mix. I have cheese, frozen chicken, frozen peas, broccoli, and fish. I have fresh tortillas and naan, yogurt, butter and bacon, 3 dozen eggs, and a few potatoes. I have about 2 pounds of cheese and a lot of that powdered Parmesan. The chicken and eggs and evaporated milk would be my main source of protein. Enough bulk tea for a week. I might not make it on sugar. I may not have what I want to have, but we would do OK on an emergency menu for a week from payday..
If I were you, I'd have fish tacos. If you have a dollar or so for a tomato...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 AM

15,629 posts, read 8,758,135 times
Tomatoes on a fish taco? No. Cabbage. Always cabbage, which is a great vegetable to have in your crisper drawer. It lasts forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living