U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

807 posts, read 430,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I thought that was a pretty soft sell. I realize that it is not the cheapest plan out there, but I completely dismissed it at first because of the $650 buy in on the phone. Now that the buy in is down to $375 with the option of a two year interest free payment schedule, it might appeal to some people to have unlimited talk and text around the world for $20 a month. But obviously you still are willing to spend money for the equipment,

If you have or can purchase a cheap Sprint/Boost phone the "Michelangelo" plan on Ring Plus has to be the absolute cheapest way to stay in touch. For a mere one time fee of $10 and a credit card you get 1000 minutes of pretty bad sounding talk, 1000 texts, and 500 MB of data per month.
The Nexus 6 is currently $350 from Amazon ($399 for the 64gb). It's a bargain.

You could have used it with the Nexus 5 as well if you knew someone who had a Nexus 6. The Nexus 5 was always cheap. #FrugalLiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Simply because they want to do a credit check for financing? I would hope they would. It's a great offer for those who meet the criteria I mentioned above.

Since they are offering 24 month financing with NO INTEREST, I think a purchaser who pays the full price up front should at least get a discount to the PRESENT VALUE of the purchase price over 24 months.

How is that unreasonable?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since they are offering 24 month financing with NO INTEREST, I think a purchaser who pays the full price up front should at least get a discount to the PRESENT VALUE of the purchase price over 24 months.

How is that unreasonable?
Most people are willing to finance the phone for no interest. As a result, there would be no need to provide a discount. If you cannot afford the phone at retail pricing, you have the option to finance it with no interest. That's a very nice gesture on their part.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Most people are willing to finance the phone for no interest. As a result, there would be no need to provide a discount. If you cannot afford the phone at retail pricing, you have the option to finance it with no interest. That's a very nice gesture on their part.

My issue is that I have no credit score and therefore financing it over 24 months with no interest is not an option (i.e. I am willing but not able), and clearly, $N paid today is greater than the present value of 24 monthly payments of ($N/24).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My issue is that I have no credit score and therefore financing it over 24 months with no interest is not an option (i.e. I am willing but not able), and clearly, $N paid today is greater than the present value of 24 monthly payments of ($N/24).
My guess is that you are not the target audience. The small minority is financially stable and has no documented credit. It would be unreasonable for Google to provide discounts for such a small group of people. Their current offerings are suited for the vast majority of people.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,823,251 times
Good place for what I'd intended as a new thread: first month report with Google's Project Fi, through today (Jan 2 - Feb 2).

I was with Verizon Wireless for more than ten years, starting with old Windows Mobile devices and moving to the Android ecosystem in 2009, on introduction of the Droid by Motorola and Android OS 2.0. Few complaints, other than the high cost, which even with corporate discounts ran $80-90/month for unlimited data and 400 voice minutes in my final year. The legacy unlimited data plan no longer exists TTMOMK. Biggest upside: Verizon's legendary call and data network availability in the US, though conversely poor service outside due to CDMA network. Did not include by default nice-to-haves like VM to text and tethering. Also, you're locked into the two year contract to leverage the reduced-price handsets, unless that policy changed. I did like a new handset every two years.

Being fully immersed in the Google ecosystem, it was no great shakes to try Google Fi. Read various online reviews of the system for complete technical details, cost structure discussed in this thread.

I like the Nexus 6P, recently rolled out and compatible with Fi, so gave it a go. There are only a few devices that work with Fi at this time, as mentioned earlier. If I wasn't impressed by the 6P, I'd have not gone forward on the deal. I came from a Samsung Note 3 via Verizon, which served me well two years and was worth $105 residual, traded in to an online broker. That's the first used phone I've owned worth more than a few bucks. Specs on the Note 3 and Nexus 6P are surprisingly similar.

My Verizon contract expired early December, so I went for it with Fi just after Christmas. There are no contracts with Google Fi, pay as you go. They shipped my "invite" and device kit pretty fast.

My data usage for the first month was 1.333 Gb, thus I am probably a "light user" of data plans. Everyone is different, but one driver of this project was simply averaging out my data usage from Verizon the past few years. I averaged about 1.6Gb/month, 2014-current. Knowledge is power, in this case "Get the data" for analysis....which was easy enough to find.

So, my Google Fi bill:

Voice and Text (flat): $20
2Gb Data pre-paid, at $10/Gb/month: $20
Handset, purchased on 24 month plan interest-free from Google ($499): $21.
Tax: $5
Phone insurance: $6

Monthly total: $72
Credit back, unused data: $7
Savings vs. Verizon: ~$30, or ~$46 had I bought a new handset from Verizon @$399 and paid it off monthly at about the same per-month cost, call it $16/month

Unexpected upsides, that I knew about but only now appreciate:

- Transparent, immediate changeover from Verizon to Google (they handled it)
- Stable, with good call and data quality (Seattle and Los Angeles metro areas)
- I am refunded any data fees I pre-pay (pre-paid for 2Gb/month)
- Free voicemail-to-text
- Free tethering
- Make or receive calls at my PC via Google Hangouts.
- Phone is both GSM and CDMA, can be used internationally with SIM swap

Downsides:

- None yet, though T-Mobile and Sprint probably don't have same great coverage as Verizon.
- Large data consumers would perhaps not save money given the fee structure. See elsewhere in thread, a real "gotcha" for some users.

I like disruptive technology, to crumble cartels and related monopolistic behavior. I hope Fi lasts, this is probably one of Google's experiments (Labs) so the future is unclear to me. The handset (Nexus 6P) is portable to other networks, however, should Google pull support at some point so there isn't much risk.

So far, I'm definitely impressed. Time will tell.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 PM

9,082 posts, read 9,238,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Voice and Text (flat): $20
2Gb Data pre-paid, at $10/Gb/month: $20
Handset, purchased on 24 month plan interest-free from Google ($499): $21.
Tax: $5
Phone insurance: $6
Monthly total: $72
Credit back, unused data: $7

Downsides:
- Large data consumers would perhaps not save money given the fee structure. See elsewhere in thread, a real "gotcha" for some users.
Google Fi is certainly not the cheapest plan in the nation. But they have some flexibility now with regard to the handset. People who talk on the cellular phone an average of 45 minutes or more today (a lot of people) and don't want to be restricted to the Sprint network, need unlimited talk and text. I like the fact that the UNL T&T is so cheap as it gives you some time to pay down the phone.

Unlimited Voice and Text:
$20 Google Fi
$30 Verizon Prepaid (smartphone or basic phone)
$25 Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) No 4G smartphones
$25 GoSmart Mobile (owned by T-mboile) + Unlimited International Texting to over 200 countries+ Unlimited 4G LTE Facebook access
$10 Wavenation on Sprint Network, must buy their $100 phone Coolpad Arise. Lowest unlimited talk and text plan in USA.

Some people just don't want to pull out a budget phone at a business meeting.

http://loqey.com/wp-content/uploads/...rise-Cover.jpg

Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
My guess is that you are not the target audience. The small minority is financially stable and has no documented credit. It would be unreasonable for Google to provide discounts for such a small group of people. Their current offerings are suited for the vast majority of people.
What about young people? I doubt most 18 or 19 year olds have much credit history. And of course those under 18 cannot even enter a binding legal contract unless emancipated. Surely teenagers make up a non-negligible portion of their target audience?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What about young people? I doubt most 18 or 19 year olds have much credit history. And of course those under 18 cannot even enter a binding legal contract unless emancipated. Surely teenagers make up a non-negligible portion of their target audience?
Teenagers who don't have supporting parents are likely to be a negligible portion of the target audience. It is my opinion that you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or