U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM

10,700 posts, read 20,119,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I purchased Ooma Telo for my home phone service. It's VOIP so uses the internet. The device cost me $99 on Amazon and it started off at $3.79/month for taxes and fees for 5000 minutes per month. It's now up to $4.30/month a year and four months later. You have to be careful not to go over the 5000 minutes per month as I've heard they will cancel your service if you do. I use no where near that many minutes. My internet quality is very good and the Ooma Telo works very well for me, in fact, the sound quality is better than AT&T U-verse telephone service was.

Only problems I've had is once or twice I had to hang up and call someone back because the sound was a little off, and the sound was ok then, and a couple of times I had someone call me and say they had to call twice because the call didn't go through the first time. Those very rare occasions happened only when someone called me, I've never had a problem when I initiated the call. Three or four problems in one year and four months isn't bad, and definitely worth it considering how little I pay for the service.

You do have to pay extra for the wireless attachment, but I didn't buy it. Just connected Ooma to my router with the cord they provided. Think it's about $30 for the wireless attachment. The company's site will sometimes offer special deals giving the attachment for free as a promotion when you buy the Telo at full price ($129), but considering you can get the Telo on sale sometimes on Amazon for around $99, you're really aren't saving any money.

The Ooma Telo doesn't come with a phone, you use your own, which is what you said you want.

For a cell phone I use a cheap Tracfone for use when I'm away from home and as a backup to my Ooma Telo. I pay $21.83 every 90 days for 60 minutes x 3 (triple minutes) = 180, plus any bonus minutes I find a promo code for online (the last couple of times it was for an extra 60 minutes, but prior to that the best I could find was for an extra 30 minutes). So I normally end up with 210 or 240 minutes and 90 days of airtime for $21.83. I have close to 2000 minutes built up because I rarely use my cell phone.

Before I bought Ooma I was getting a measly 250 minutes from AT&T U-verse for phone service per month, while having their triple play, and was paying close to $24/month. They were stubborn whenever I negotiated a new one year contract with them and wouldn't budge off the 250 minute limit. I let one of their reps negotiate that in one year to get a lower price on all three services, and they would never allow it to go back to unlimited minutes, which is strange because I hardly used 250 minutes per month so it shouldn't have been a big deal for them. In the end it cost them when I dropped their phone service at the same time I got rid of U-verse tv. Started saving a little more than $100 per month when I dropped both. Just kept the internet and the price barely increased on that.

I looked at Ooma and ended up with Google Voice with an Obi device. It's free for US/Canada Mexico calling. If you want e911 you can go through CallCentric for $1.50/month. Way cheaper than Ooma and the device was only $40. I bought mine 3-4 years ago, it's been flawless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 03:27 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I looked at Ooma and ended up with Google Voice with an Obi device. It's free for US/Canada Mexico calling. If you want e911 you can go through CallCentric for $1.50/month. Way cheaper than Ooma and the device was only $40. I bought mine 3-4 years ago, it's been flawless.
I've had Ooma for years and will stay with it because I can send and receive faxes through it, just as I would a landline.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've had Ooma for years and will stay with it because I can send and receive faxes through it, just as I would a landline.
Same thing with OBi.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

It's like Ooma but cheaper. I saw now they even have a WiFi hotpot adapter for it, so you don't even need to plug in the Ethernet cable or have it located next to your router.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Same thing with OBi.

Robot Check
It's like Ooma but cheaper.
That's great! I had a few other VOIP providers before Ooma and none of them were solid enough to transmit or receive a fax over.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:24 PM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGoing View Post
Currently I'm on Straight Talk. Unlimited texts and calls with 5 gb of data for basically $50
Straight Talk offers both CDMA and GSM support. Do you have a GSM phone, or a CDMA phone?

As I understand it, if you want 5 Gb of 4G LTE data and unlimited talk and text there is nobody else who comes cheaper then Straight Talk.

$30 T-Mobile is offering 5 GB of data with Unlimited web & text with only 100 minutes talk.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Straight Talk offers both CDMA and GSM support. Do you have a GSM phone, or a CDMA phone?

As I understand it, if you want 5 Gb of 4G LTE data and unlimited talk and text there is nobody else who comes cheaper then Straight Talk.

$30 T-Mobile is offering 5 GB of data with Unlimited web & text with only 100 minutes talk.
Cricket is cheaper, $45/month includes all taxes and fees

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

It's through ATT

Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:

The worst thing about Straight Talk is that they don't offer visual voicemail-which means you have to dial into your voicemail and listen to the messages on the phone, whereas with visual voicemail the messages are recorded and you access them all from an app and play them back. Straight Talk has even started blocking conditional call forwarding at the switch so you can't even use a third party app like 'youmail' for visual voice mail. Also, when you try to port out they block your phone number you have to call them and get the call escalated 3 times in order for them to unblock the number. Both Cricket and Straight Talk are 4g speed capped at 8 mbps, and the prices for the 5gb plan (with autopay on Cricket) are the same, $45

Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Both Cricket and Straight Talk are 4g speed capped at 8 mbps, and the prices for the 5gb plan (with autopay on Cricket) are the same, $45
Is that something new? I have seen posts where people specifically say that they prefer Straight Talk over Cricket because there is no 8 mbps cap.

I have seen that complaint about the lack of visual voice mail on ST before.

Quote:
Also, when you try to port out they block your phone number you have to call them and get the call escalated 3 times in order for them to unblock the number.
I think Bandwidth's service for $18 a year where they bank your phone number and let you alert up to four devices is probably worth it. That way you never have to worry about some company making it difficult to port your number.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Is that something new? I have seen posts where people specifically say that they prefer Straight Talk over Cricket because there is no 8 mbps cap.

I think Bandwidth's service for $18 a year where they bank your phone number and let you alert up to four devices is probably worth it. That way you never have to worry about some company making it difficult to port your number.
Straight Talk limits speeds on ATT and Verizon. On their Sprint network the speed is so slow it doesn't matter, and AFAIK on their TMobile side it's full speed, but don't quote me on that.

If you don't want a cap GoPhone is a good option.

Truthfully, there is little practical difference in capped vs uncapped 4G service.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Straighttalk neither confirms or denies they are capping 4g speed for AT&T, they do admit a 5mbps cap with the Verizon sim. With the AT&T sim, my son's 4g was usually 4-5 mbps and the highest it ever went was 7 mbps. He checked it a few times against his friend's phone who has an account with AT&T which usually registered 17mbps- 40mbps. But in all fairness, you can do everything with 5mbps that you can with 40, you can only stream video so fast, he was just irritated because he was led to believe that it wasn't capped.
Quote:
That was the deal breaker for my son, the only notification on Straight Talk that you have a voice mail (on a galaxy s5) is a tiny icon at the very top of the phone. In order to retrieve the VM you have to dial a number enter your pin and use # commands to read, repeat, save or delete the message ugh. There are third party apps that would provide visual voicemail but Straight Talk has blocked conditional forwarding so there is nothing you can do to get around it.
Quote:
I used to park my old landline # at ring.to for free, but they are now charging for the service, but if you transfer your number from there to straightalk, those parking services won't protect your number. Once it's active on Straight Talk they lock it and put you through hell to get it released, my son just went through that and by the time he finally got it released he was spittin mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or