U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 AM
 
10,707 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Reputation: 9859

Advertisements

Straight Talk is no longer the bargain is used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 730,194 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Straight Talk is no longer the bargain is used to be.
not only that there customer service sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM
 
9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Reputation: 14385
Verizon now has a $15/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) that provides 300 units/minutes talk/text per month, and unlimited data.

Their $30/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) provides unlimited talk, text, and data.

I was paying $35/mo (prepaid/basic phone) for unlimited talk/text, and 500 data; but they just revised my plan to the $30/mo unlimited bundle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 AM
 
9,068 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Reputation: 4665
Restricting comments to Verizon MVNOs only
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Verizon now has a $15/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) that provides 300 units/minutes talk/text per month, and unlimited data.
Page Plus Cellular uses the Verizon network, and has some things that some people consider an advantage
(1) Plan is $12 instead of $15
(2) Instead of 300 units, PPC gives you 250 minutes and 250 texts
(3) They throw in 10 MB of data, which is not much but it will accept 1000 average text e-mails or 2 or 3 photos
(4) They permit 3G smart phones as well as basic phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Their $30/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) provides unlimited talk, text, and data.
For $30/month
Total Wireless at Walmart will give you same thing for $25/month.
Page Plus Cellular will give you 1,500 Talk Minutes, Unlimited Text With 1GB Data up to 4G LTE Speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,340 posts, read 1,291,030 times
Reputation: 6358
Cricket - $30/month (if you autopay online) for iPhone with internet, no complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 10:35 AM
 
2,656 posts, read 2,821,878 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
$50 a MONTH?!
That's rounding it up.

I prefer using ST 90 day service @ $141.66 that's $47.22 per INCLUDING $11.66 taxes!!

When comparing rates, be sure you include taxes. My guess is some of the quotes in this thread don't include them. For example this ST 90 day plan which is $45+tax when purchased monthly is advertised as '$130' or $43.33 per month before taxes.

You can subscribe for $255/6 or $42.50 for 6 months, or $495/12 or $41.25 per month if you buy a year ahead... BUT each will add on taxes (probably at the rate above or about $3.89/mo ). I assume all carriers also ad taxes to prices quoted in ads...and in this thread.

BTW, I am still pleased with the 5Gb of 4G/3G data supplied on ATT towers. Overall service is great. I never have used up my 5Gb monthly data since I am mostly on Wi-fi, streaming radio and searching web etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,192 posts, read 11,359,293 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Straight Talk is no longer the bargain is used to be.
I agree, and what makes it worse is that they block the use of visual voice mail, you can't even use a third party app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 AM
 
10,707 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Reputation: 9859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
That's rounding it up.

I prefer using ST 90 day service @ $141.66 that's $47.22 per INCLUDING $11.66 taxes!!

When comparing rates, be sure you include taxes. My guess is some of the quotes in this thread don't include them. For example this ST 90 day plan which is $45+tax when purchased monthly is advertised as '$130' or $43.33 per month before taxes.

You can subscribe for $255/6 or $42.50 for 6 months, or $495/12 or $41.25 per month if you buy a year ahead... BUT each will add on taxes (probably at the rate above or about $3.89/mo ). I assume all carriers also ad taxes to prices quoted in ads...and in this thread.

BTW, I am still pleased with the 5Gb of 4G/3G data supplied on ATT towers. Overall service is great. I never have used up my 5Gb monthly data since I am mostly on Wi-fi, streaming radio and searching web etc.
Cricket includes all taxes and fees in their service fee. $35 month is the out the door cost, includes 2.5gb data. Since you are on ATT, if you don't use more than 2.5gb data a month, you're throwing away $180/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 12:14 PM
 
9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Reputation: 14385
It appears providers are becoming more competitive and making it less costly, that's great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 PM
 
2,656 posts, read 2,821,878 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cricket includes all taxes and fees in their service fee. $35 month is the out the door cost, includes 2.5gb data. Since you are on ATT, if you don't use more than 2.5gb data a month, you're throwing away $180/yr.

Nice plan for many. I infer Cricket is on ATT. My guess is ST may come out with a similar plan...unless ATT takes some action to prevent them or their billing system can't easily handle this etc.

Looks like an apples to apples compare @ contracted for <5Gb monthly favors ST...and months where the usage over the 2.Gb makes it more expensive than ST plan. I hate to monitor usage that closely.

On a direct comparison, I calculated more like $100 per year savings vs. my current ST, assuming I use < 2.5Gb in any month...so my real savings would probably be less. If I really wanted to split hairs I could buy ST at 12 month rate for a guaranteed delta of about +$22 (more for ST) with no need to monitor or care about the 'extra' usage monthly between 2.5 and 5Gb.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Admittedly in a certain band, the Cricket plan is nice, and newbies should consider it...if they have a good feel for data usage (under 2.5Gb/mo) or monitor closely the first few months...and also sign up for the Cricket auto renewal requirement to get the $35 rate ...or it is $40/mo.

If I wasn't already happy with ST, I might consider it. For now I'll wait a bit and see what happens with rates/services...they should continue to improve, with carriers frog hopping each others offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top