U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:20 PM

3,930 posts, read 1,451,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Nice plan for many. I infer Cricket is on ATT. My guess is ST may come out with a similar plan...unless ATT takes some action to prevent them or their billing system can't easily handle this etc.

Looks like an apples to apples compare @ contracted for <5Gb monthly favors ST...and months where the usage over the 2.Gb makes it more expensive than ST plan. I hate to monitor usage that closely.

On a direct comparison, I calculated more like $100 per year savings vs. my current ST, assuming I use < 2.5Gb in any month...so my real savings would probably be less. If I really wanted to split hairs I could buy ST at 12 month rate for a guaranteed delta of about +$22 (more for ST) with no need to monitor or care about the 'extra' usage monthly between 2.5 and 5Gb.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Admittedly in a certain band, the Cricket plan is nice, and newbies should consider it...if they have a good feel for data usage (under 2.5Gb/mo) or monitor closely the first few months...and also sign up for the Cricket auto renewal requirement to get the $35 rate ...or it is $40/mo.

If I wasn't already happy with ST, I might consider it. For now I'll wait a bit and see what happens with rates/services...they should continue to improve, with carriers frog hopping each others offerings.

Cricket has $45 plan for 5GB and 10GB plan for $55. IF you have a family plan savings are more too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:45 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Nice plan for many. I infer Cricket is on ATT. My guess is ST may come out with a similar plan...unless ATT takes some action to prevent them or their billing system can't easily handle this etc.

Looks like an apples to apples compare @ contracted for <5Gb monthly favors ST...and months where the usage over the 2.Gb makes it more expensive than ST plan. I hate to monitor usage that closely.

On a direct comparison, I calculated more like $100 per year savings vs. my current ST, assuming I use < 2.5Gb in any month...so my real savings would probably be less. If I really wanted to split hairs I could buy ST at 12 month rate for a guaranteed delta of about +$22 (more for ST) with no need to monitor or care about the 'extra' usage monthly between 2.5 and 5Gb.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Admittedly in a certain band, the Cricket plan is nice, and newbies should consider it...if they have a good feel for data usage (under 2.5Gb/mo) or monitor closely the first few months...and also sign up for the Cricket auto renewal requirement to get the $35 rate ...or it is $40/mo.

If I wasn't already happy with ST, I might consider it. For now I'll wait a bit and see what happens with rates/services...they should continue to improve, with carriers frog hopping each others offerings.
Used to be with Straight Talk/Net10 you could spoof your address with an Oregon zip code which made taxes equal to $0.75 a month. Seems like they caught onto that after a while as they've started charging me more in taxes now based off the credit card billing address vs. the inputted address.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Cricket has $45 plan for 5GB and 10GB plan for $55. IF you have a family plan savings are more too.
Plus Cricket offers things Straight Talk does not, it's a better plan, even if ST was the same price as Cricket. For $45 you also get Canada and Mexico data roaming, that is huge especially for me.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:59 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For $45 you also get Canada and Mexico data roaming, that is huge especially for me.
There are some shocking stories on the web for people who paid hundreds of dollars for Canada and Mexico. I used to live in San Diego, and some people claimed they were caught in roaming charges while near, but on the US side of the border. They built a popular off price mall right on the Tijuana river within a stone's throw of the border.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There are some shocking stories on the web for people who paid hundreds of dollars for Canada and Mexico. I used to live in San Diego, and some people claimed they were caught in roaming charges while near, but on the US side of the border. They built a popular off price mall right on the Tijuana river within a stone's throw of the border.
Good thing its prepaid then, impossible to charge extra fees.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 AM

37 posts, read 26,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
$50 a MONTH?!
Yes. 45 + tax

Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Verizon now has a $15/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) that provides 300 units/minutes talk/text per month, and unlimited data.

Their $30/mo prepaid plan (basic phone) provides unlimited talk, text, and data.

I was paying $35/mo (prepaid/basic phone) for unlimited talk/text, and 500 data; but they just revised my plan to the $30/mo unlimited bundle.
WOW Thanks! I'll check it out.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

6,308 posts, read 7,987,919 times
I use Tracfone BYOP (bring your own phone). I calculate with my usage, which is fairly light, I'm spending about $12 per month. When available, I use wifi to connect, instead of using my data bucket. The underlying carrier is Verizon, so I'm getting VZW service at a fraction of the price I used to pay.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:42 PM

20,291 posts, read 15,633,754 times
If I might ask, does anyone use Consumer Cellular, and if so, are you happy with it? I would like to get rid of my landline phone and AT&T which is way too expensive. The plan itself with AT&T is $44.00 per month, but all the taxes, surcharges and other fees brings it up to $62.77 per month whether I use the phone or not. And I rarely use it.

I ask about Consumer Cellular because it's no contract, and they have a plan for 250 minutes per month, which is far more than I need, for $15 per month. But I assume that's before taxes and whatever other surcharges and other fees might be included. How much would that 250 minutes actually be once all the taxes and surcharges are figured in?

And how is the quality of the service with Consumer Cellular?

I appreciate any help. I'm just starting to look into this and know practically nothing about it.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM

If you have internet you can get a landline phone for under $3/month, turnkey, with Ooma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or