U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 06:44 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,615 posts, read 6,115,918 times
Reputation: 9150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
If I might ask, does anyone use Consumer Cellular, and if so, are you happy with it? I would like to get rid of my landline phone and AT&T which is way too expensive. The plan itself with AT&T is $44.00 per month, but all the taxes, surcharges and other fees brings it up to $62.77 per month whether I use the phone or not. And I rarely use it.

I ask about Consumer Cellular because it's no contract, and they have a plan for 250 minutes per month, which is far more than I need, for $15 per month. But I assume that's before taxes and whatever other surcharges and other fees might be included. How much would that 250 minutes actually be once all the taxes and surcharges are figured in?

And how is the quality of the service with Consumer Cellular?

I appreciate any help. I'm just starting to look into this and know practically nothing about it.

Cricket
uses AT&T as well. I switched to Cricket in December and have no complaints. They include all taxes/fees in their rates.

But if you just need a few minutes and no data, PureTalk is owned by AT&T and they have cheap plans without data. I used it before switching to Cricket and also had no problems with it.

It looks like PureTalk has 250 minutes/mo for $10/mo incl taxes/fees, no contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 PM
 
6,310 posts, read 7,990,836 times
Reputation: 7903
Tracfone for the win!

I'm using their BYOP (bring your own phone) plan with my high end Android, and my cost is averaging out to <$10/month. I purchased a card which gave me 365 days of service and 400 min/400 txt/400mb data (which then was tripled), so that's 1200min voice/1200 txt msgs/1.2GB of data. I use Google Voice for all my calls and texts and I use wifi at home & work and have been fairly light on the data usage outside of that. That one card might actually last me an entire year for the data, but if not, I can purchase some extra data. Woo-Hoo! My previous cost was $70/month on VZW. I'm still on VZW through Tracfone, but at a fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:22 PM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Cricket
uses AT&T as well. I switched to Cricket in December and have no complaints. They include all taxes/fees in their rates.

But if you just need a few minutes and no data, PureTalk is owned by AT&T and they have cheap plans without data. I used it before switching to Cricket and also had no problems with it.

It looks like PureTalk has 250 minutes/mo for $10/mo incl taxes/fees, no contract.
Thanks Kitten. PureTalk looks like a pretty good deal. It's hard to beat 250 minutes/mo for $10/mo. I'll look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:28 AM
 
1,010 posts, read 522,077 times
Reputation: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Tracfone for the win!

I'm using their BYOP (bring your own phone) plan with my high end Android, and my cost is averaging out to <$10/month. I purchased a card which gave me 365 days of service and 400 min/400 txt/400mb data (which then was tripled), so that's 1200min voice/1200 txt msgs/1.2GB of data. I use Google Voice for all my calls and texts and I use wifi at home & work and have been fairly light on the data usage outside of that. That one card might actually last me an entire year for the data, but if not, I can purchase some extra data. Woo-Hoo! My previous cost was $70/month on VZW. I'm still on VZW through Tracfone, but at a fraction of the cost.
Same here. I was previously with Page Plus on their PAYGO plan but wanted to upgrade to a 4G phone. I switched to Tracfone and bought the one year/400 card, which tripled to 1200/1200/1200. That's $8.33 for 100/100/100 a month, which is way more than I use on average, so it's nice to know it's there when I need it. Plus, there's infinite rollover as long as you top up before you reach your service end date. So far I'm using more texts than minutes or data, but I can buy 1000 more texts for $10.

Downside of Tracfone seem to be customer service. I did the website chat and that was pretty good, but I've read that calling them on the phone can be painful.

Overall I'm very satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM
 
6,310 posts, read 7,990,836 times
Reputation: 7903
I never have need for Tracfone customer service...well just when setting it up for the first time, but the chat session was the way to go. I use data more than either call minutes or txt minutes. If you use Google Voice you basically have 'free' calling & texts, only using data or wifi. I've been using GV for years now. It's the best. There's a 4G data card I can purchase if I need, but so far I'm still averaging 100mb or less per month on data and that means I should be able to get a full year out of that one card. So yeah, $8.33/month if I don't need to purchase any more data until my year is up in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 AM
 
9,064 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Reputation: 4665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Thanks Kitten. PureTalk looks like a pretty good deal. It's hard to beat 250 minutes/mo for $10/mo. I'll look into it.
There is a breed of younger budget consumers who talk for free on wifi, and send texts only on cellular. If you happen to be one of those people.

Pure Talk is $10/mo for 250 minutes or 750 texts per month (=9000 per year with no month to month rollover) or $120/year. Tracfone is $50 year as a low for connection, and texts are $10/1000.

Although 9000 texts should cost you $90, consider that Tracfone texts don't fall off every month, you might end up paying much less.

While there is nothing wrong with extreme budget plans, you should check the contingency plan for when you have an issue and you need to go massively over the limitations. Are you likely to need lots of minutes, texts, or data on an odd month? What will it cost you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 PM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There is a breed of younger budget consumers who talk for free on wifi, and send texts only on cellular. If you happen to be one of those people.

Pure Talk is $10/mo for 250 minutes or 750 texts per month (=9000 per year with no month to month rollover) or $120/year. Tracfone is $50 year as a low for connection, and texts are $10/1000.

Although 9000 texts should cost you $90, consider that Tracfone texts don't fall off every month, you might end up paying much less.

While there is nothing wrong with extreme budget plans, you should check the contingency plan for when you have an issue and you need to go massively over the limitations. Are you likely to need lots of minutes, texts, or data on an odd month? What will it cost you?
Thanks. Puretalk sounds pretty good as does Consumercellular. At 62 I don't think I can call myself a younger budget consumer. I have no use for text. For me, 250 minutes in a month would be going well over my normal time on the phone which is almost no time at all. Still, that's good advice and a question to be asked when checking out these plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 AM
 
9,064 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Reputation: 4665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Thanks. Puretalk sounds pretty good as does Consumercellular. At 62 I don't think I can call myself a younger budget consumer. I have no use for text. For me, 250 minutes in a month would be going well over my normal time on the phone which is almost no time at all. Still, that's good advice and a question to be asked when checking out these plans.
Well older people tend to use text differently. They send texts like "I'll plan on meeting you at 4:30 at Main and West Street in my blue car" and the other person replies, "fine" when they get out of their business meeting. Some businesses are thinking of getting rid of answering services as they consider them inefficient.

My parents use their cell phones an average of 100 minutes or less most months, but you just need to know what it will cost you if the power breaks down on the home phone and suddenly you need 500 minutes in one week.

Some traditional plans would charge 45 cents a minute for overages. The Verizon Prepaid plan that I have (300 minutes or texts for $15 a month) will simply allow you to start your next month early in the event of massive overages. If you do that once a year, it's not so bad, but if you do it 12 times a year, you might as well up your plane to unlimited talk for $30/month.

My mother doesn't trust MVNOs so it isn't worth switching to Puretalk to save $5 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 01:32 PM
 
287 posts, read 258,767 times
Reputation: 256
Boost mobile: $30 for unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data that grows to 5GB over a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 PM
 
14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Reputation: 17216
We have Tracfone, and no complaints. We have no need for anything more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top