U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:15 AM

37 posts, read 26,780 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about getting a new prepaid plan that has a "bring your own phone" type program to it, if possible.

Do you like your plan? What do you pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 AM

37 posts, read 26,780 times
Currently I'm on Straight Talk. Unlimited texts and calls with 5 gb of data for basically $50

Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGoing View Post
Currently I'm on Straight Talk. Unlimited texts and calls with 5 gb of data for basically $50
I'm still using Straight Talk with this plan. It's been about 3-4 years, and 3 phones I bought through them and Walmart. I pay $130 for service but $141 ($47/mo) with taxes surcharges etc. for 3 months at a time.

Phone service has been very good (for me where I live...YMMV). I'm on an LG Android 5.0.1 phone and ATT towers.

I've learned to deal with their customer service. It has improved in the time I've been with them too.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:25 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Im thinking about getting a new prepaid plan that has a "bring your own phone" type program to it, if possible.

Many plans have a Bring your own Device.
1) If you talk on your phone at least 45 minutes a day, you probably need unlimited domestic talk and text. If not you should specify how much you talk. Or are you a minimal connectivity kind of person (less than 20 minutes per month).
2) Do you sometimes make international calls or texts? Every month or more than 5 times per year.
3) Do you like clamshell phones? If not then do you want lots of music streaming.
4) Do you travel a lot? Do you live on a coast or inland?

The absolute cheapest plans are on Sprint network, several companies give away minutes and texts. Some charge as little as $10 a month for unlimited talk and text, but you must buy their phone for $100.

The cheapest plan on a Verizon MVNO is $30 a year plus about $8 in taxes and fees. Page Plus Cellular ultra cheap plan only gives you an average of 20 minutes per month.

As of November 2015 Verizon Prepaid charges $30 a month for unlimited talk and text. On a smart phone you get no cellular data (onl wifi), but on a basic phone you get unlimited data (old fashioned news feeds etc). As that is the most expensive network, and the most expensive company, that price should be a benchmark for you. You can get all sorts of things for $30 a month on different networks, because some people don't care much for unlimited talking.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
T-Mobile has prepaid minutes. I don't use my smartphone very much so I don't use that many minutes unless I'm on the road. The phone has wi-fi but no data. However, you can get data on demand either for one day or one week. I just use the wi-fi but on a road trip I'll pay to get the data for a week.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:43 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,772,025 times
Quote:

I have a "Pay as you go" plan. I plunk down $100 and that's good for an entire year. It works for me as I have few people I wish to talk to....If I was a social butterfly, then I'd have a higher end phone and plan.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Virgin mobile, $30/month. It is a little bit slower since it is on the Sprint network but hey, it is $30/month!!!! Doesn't get much better in price than that.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
I was on a Verizon family plan where I paid $45 per month for unlimited talk and text. We had data, but I never used it. In fact, we were paying extra for a large data package since my SIL uses 3gb a month. (on what, I have no idea). My daughter's was $55 per month because she used a little data.

Now I have switched to Total Wireless (which piggybacks on Verizon) I pay $35 per month for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb of data. I bought a new LG Power phone from Total Wireless for $40 and I am very happy with it.

IF I had put my daughter on TW with me, it would cost us each $30 per month for her own line. So we would have gone from paying $100 per month to $60 per month for MORE DATA. But her dad put her back on his plan and he pays for it so I don't know what it is now.

The transition didn't happen as scheduled so I had to call Customer Service back so they could initiate the transfer again, but then it worked right away. I had another snafu over billing which was also quickly resolved. Customer Service was good.

Well worth the trouble, IMHO.

Total Wireless will only accept 3G phones. Since I never had 4G, I don't notice the loss. Not sure there is a measurable difference (I don't stream videos on my phone, etc).

I don't know why everyone doesn't switch, but I also never understood why people spend so much money on cell phones and service, either.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 PM

322 posts, read 330,150 times
I've got my wife set up with Ringplus.net. The plan she has gives her 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 1000mb data for absolutely free every month. It works on the Sprint network. The catch is that instead of hearing rings when you call someone, you hear music or advertisements in their place. The calls still take the same amount of time to connect as they otherwise would, and texts and data work the same as they would on any other phone.

They have different plans all of the time, so the one available at the time that you check might be better or worse than the one we have. Their better free plans (like the one that we've got) require you to give them a credit card number and to keep a balance of $5-20 in your account (depending on which plan you get) to pay any overage charges, which are actually pretty reasonable. We have had our plan with them for about 6 months or so, and that money is still in our account and has never been touched.

If you really don't need very many minutes, or just want to try them out, they usually have a much more limited plan that doesn't require a credit card or any money at all. If you need more minutes or data, they also have plans that you can pay for.

Be aware that overall, reviews from other Ringplus members have been mixed. Sometimes there is a noticeable delay in the audio, and if you need help with anything you are pretty much on your own. Customer service with this company is known to suck, so you better hope that you don't have any problems.

With that being said, my wife has been happy with her plan. For the price, it's been working really well and we have no complaints.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:15 AM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
My husband and I were on a Sprint Contract, when it expired we bailed. We both went to Ting, but I use my phone more than he does so I moved mine to Boost. I have a unlimited talk/text 3 gb 4g for $30 a month, since my husband keeps his data to less than 500 mg he pays around $24 with Ting. When I replace my phone I will get a GSM phone & go with Straight Talk or Cricket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or