Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,102,685 times

Advertisements

I definitely do not agree FOR ME, because every single one of your points is inapplicable TO ME.

If you want to convince readers this is the right strategy FOR YOU...well, ok. Good for you for figuring it all out Hope everything works out according to plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,474,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I definitely do not agree FOR ME, because every single one of your points is inapplicable TO ME.

If you want to convince readers this is the right strategy FOR YOU...well, ok. Good for you for figuring it all out Hope everything works out according to plan
I'm not sure how you'd argue that #2 and #6 don't apply to you as well, but the others are pretty subjective...I can give you that.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM

50,110 posts, read 63,494,064 times
The bones of your plan are sound. That is, to live below your means.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,071,081 times
Default While money factors are high it is NOT the TOP reason ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Just because others are willing to pay more doesn't make it a fair price....it just makes them willing to pay more.
not just willing, but ABLE, something that those with limited potential earnings probably really stew about...

Better to limit it than to find the wrong one that forces me into a tough spot, increasing the risk of divorce and then leaving me unable to pay my bills.

The #1 cause of divorce in America is financial problems... WRONG!!!

I thought about mentioning the whole "afford it on one income" thing. Based on my career trajectory, I don't expect to be making gobs and gobs of money. For those that do, obviously the picture can change.self fulfilling ...

And when parents have to work 60-80hrs/week to pay their bills, you don't think kids have a tough
life? studies show as income increases time for family does too

Which is the cause and which is the effect?

Within a city....maybe. But between different metro areas not so much. You don't really think all non-rich neighborhoods in, for example, Arkansas are full of deadbeats, right? There are plenty of middle class areas with decent people and reasonable housing prices...if you get out of the insanity that is the HCOL areas on both coasts...

Like the fact that money problems are the biggest cause of divorce in America, the fact that higher pay correlates with more hours and less sleep, that sleep deprivation tends to cause stress, and that stressed parents aren't good parents?

You can choose your facts to support either side - no matter what stance you take we humans are excellent at confirmation bias and skewed arguments. To go from facts to reasoning you need analysis.

Number one reason for divorce is IMMATURITY!

Close behind is LACK OF EDUCATION!

Inflexibility is also high on the list...

http://www.divorce.usu.edu/files/uploads/lesson3.pdf

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,102,685 times
1. We have the space--indoor and outdoor--that we want. And the commute is excellent.

2. Rents would be higher for equivelent house. Want the stability of ownership for family (no plans to ever move) Enjoy the autonomy of no landlord, or management company.

3. Have a great deal of equity, job security, savings, high net worth, and high income. Sure, s**t can happen, but we'd be alright. Current house value is 2x income, current mortgage is about 1x annual income.

4. Already have kids in school (which are excellent, btw)

5. Mid 30's and living a great life. Have autonomy and options, and many weeks of vacation a year. Would work hard no matter the salary, so might as well enjoy things the salary affords.

6. Philosophically disagree. Much like you argue in your other points; just because people put up with foreclosure=morally deficient doesn't mean it's accurate. I thought 2008-2011 began to change people's perceptions of this rather antiquated thinking. A mortgage is business contract. Shouldn't be more.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
not just willing, but ABLE, something that those with limited potential earnings probably really stew about...
There is still the question of value and labor, even for those willing and able.

Quote:

Better to limit it than to find the wrong one that forces me into a tough spot, increasing the risk of divorce and then leaving me unable to pay my bills.

The #1 cause of divorce in America is financial problems... WRONG!!!
Ok, I'll admit that sort of depends on what is meant...but the base point still stands.

Quote:
I thought about mentioning the whole "afford it on one income" thing. Based on my career trajectory, I don't expect to be making gobs and gobs of money. For those that do, obviously the picture can change.self fulfilling ...
Not necessarily self fulfilling. The salaries and job opportunities can change between the time one enrolls in a given educational track and when one gets out. It is certainly true that many decide early on that they won't continue building their education, but that is not the only cause of career stagnation.

Quote:

And when parents have to work 60-80hrs/week to pay their bills, you don't think kids have a tough
life? studies show as income increases time for family does too
Source please?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM

22,332 posts, read 47,306,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post

Exactly.
But the OP will will continue to tear apart every sentence that goes against his manifesto...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,686,314 times
If I had follow this logic I would be poor, never retire. Real estate is all about location. In my neighborhood a small condo like, cost about 3/4 of a million.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 AM

45,040 posts, read 60,074,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly.
But the OP will will continue to tear apart every sentence that goes against his manifesto...

Yawn. Excuse me, I'm sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. Yep, same song, different thread. I hope if he buys a house that it doesn't depreciate like a car does or need repairs.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Number one reason for divorce is IMMATURITY!

Close behind is LACK OF EDUCATION!

Inflexibility is also high on the list...

http://www.divorce.usu.edu/files/uploads/lesson3.pdf
Thanks for pointing this out, it seems there is a bit of a discrepancy between different surveys. This warrants a closer look for all. At any rate, lack of commitment, infidelity, and financial arguments are all significant, though sources differ on which one is the most so.

Fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living