U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,246,447 times

Advertisements

I finally did it. I dumped cable. My bill had jacked to almost $160.00! I called the cable company and they could care less..so I did heavy research and found the best way to it ...was with a $7 antenna at Wal-mart. Yes, the old rabbit ears kind! ( should mention the $160 for cable did NOT include any HBO, Cinemax or Starz and I only got basic cable of channels 1-70)......

After I did all my research, I quickly dumped cable but not before I hooked up my antenna to my TV. (to see if it would work) The picture is digitally quality! No more of the old days, where some channels were grainy with antennas.

I get almost 20 channels! I was addicted to some of the cable channels too but when you really break it down, I was not watching but about 5 total. All the others were crap or near crap!

It was pretty easy to install. Using your remote you locate antenna signal and once I got that, bam! antenna TV!

If you miss any of your programs, you can get HULU or Roku3 or just watch almost anything you miss on your computer!

I am very, very happy and no more cable TV bill! I did keep the internet because I need that for work....

Also, I heard nightmare stories from actual people who had U-Verse and AT&T Direct TV, all kinds of charges in the 100's of dollars. No thanks!

Try Antenna TV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 02:51 PM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
You may want to get a streaming service like Netflix, HBO or Showtime so you can watch some TV without commercials.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Nice that you can get 20 channels.
We get two clearly... four on an exceptionally clear day.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM

22,703 posts, read 21,750,727 times
It didn't work for us, either.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
A recommendation to you for more viewing enjoyment. You should invest in a DVR for your over the air channels. You can buy one like

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-St...&keywords=tivo

But now, you have to purchase the TV guide that comes with it for $15 month. Last month you could have bought it for $300 with a lifetime subscription.

Or you could buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...4&keywords=dvr

You also need to by a 1 or 2 TB. hard drive to hook up to it. No monthly fees with this one.

The third, and my favorite device is hooking up a laptop or regular computer to your TV with Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 has Media Center with the functionality of a DVR player, with two weeks of tv shows downloaded and the ease of selecting shows to record very similar to the Tivo units. If you have a newer computer that has Windows 8 on it, you can still use it, but you need to install some software (free) that will replace the TV guide and recording capability. You also need to buy a TV tuner like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD...n+tv+tuner#Ask

With any of these added, you will be able to select your favorite shows (also search for upcoming movies) and record them to watch at your leisure. You will also be able to fast forward through commercials. A must in my book. If you combine this with a subscription to Netlix for $8.00 a month (much better than Hulu). you will have plenty to watch. Also note, that certain cable stations have some of their shows available to watch online (on your computer) and if you use a computer as your DVR, you will be able to watch the online shows on your TV. Hope I didn't confuse you with all this.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 5 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,023 posts, read 3,610,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
A recommendation to you for more viewing enjoyment. You should invest in a DVR for your over the air channels. You can buy one like

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-St...&keywords=tivo

But now, you have to purchase the TV guide that comes with it for $15 month. Last month you could have bought it for $300 with a lifetime subscription.

Or you could buy one of these: Amazon.com : Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL2) : Electronics

You also need to by a 1 or 2 TB. hard drive to hook up to it. No monthly fees with this one.

The third, and my favorite device is hooking up a laptop or regular computer to your TV with Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 has Media Center with the functionality of a DVR player, with two weeks of tv shows downloaded and the ease of selecting shows to record very similar to the Tivo units. If you have a newer computer that has Windows 8 on it, you can still use it, but you need to install some software (free) that will replace the TV guide and recording capability. You also need to buy a TV tuner like this one:

Amazon.com: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT (2-Tuner): Computers & Accessories

With any of these added, you will be able to select your favorite shows (also search for upcoming movies) and record them to watch at your leisure. You will also be able to fast forward through commercials. A must in my book. If you combine this with a subscription to Netlix for $8.00 a month (much better than Hulu). you will have plenty to watch. Also note, that certain cable stations have some of their shows available to watch online (on your computer) and if you use a computer as your DVR, you will be able to watch the online shows on your TV. Hope I didn't confuse you with all this.
What, me confused?

TMI. My antenna suits me just fine. I have my local channels and their sub channels, which gives me oldies shows I watched growing up, and some of my True Crime shows that I love.

Current TV is garbage, for me, anyway.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
What, me confused?
A DVR would allow you to record the shows, and let you time shift them so that you can watch them at your convenience. It would also allow you to fast forward through commercials, which can be tiresome on stations like LaffTV that specialize in old sitcoms viewed in standard definition.

1. MyNetworkTV Commercial/syndication service 09/05/06
  2. Ion Television Commercial/syndication service August 31, 1998 (as PaxTV)
  3. Me-TV Classic television series 2010
  4. This TV Movies and TV shows 2008
  5. Grit Action/westerns/men's Interest August 18, 2014
  6. Antenna TV Classic television series and movies 2011
  7. Bounce TV African-American programming 2011
  8. GetTV Classic movies 2014
  9. qubo Commercial (Children's) 2007
  10. Cozi TV Classic television series/movies/lifestyle 2013
  11. Escape Suspense/drama/women's interest August 18, 2014
  12. Laff Comedy April 15, 2015
  13. Movies! Feature films 2013
  14. Comet Science Fiction October 31, 2015
  15. Decades Classic TV & films/Historical documentaries May 25, 2015
  16. Retro TV Commercial, reruns 2005
  17. Heroes & Icons Classic television series and films September 29, 2014
  18. Buzzr Game shows June 1, 2015
  19. The Works News and entertainment 2014
  20. Mi Casa Broadcasting English-language Hispanic programming September 2014
  21. ZUUS Country Country music videos 2009
  22. Soul of the South Network African-American programming May 27, 2013
  23. Heartland Country music/lifestyle November 1, 2012
  24. PBJ Children's/classic cartoons September 2011
  25. The Family Channel Classic television series and movies 2008 (as My Family TV) 2014
  26. Launch TV Independent programming 2014
  27. AMGTV Commercial, family 2006
  28. TheCoolTV Music videos 2009
  29. Punch TV URBT Urban & Independent programming 2012
  30. FamilyNet Classic television series 1979/1988

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-14-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
Am another one who is very content with an OTA indoor antenna. As far as which channels one will receive, here is one of the web sites that gives that info: AntennaWeb - Address

Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 AM

9,322 posts, read 11,246,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nice that you can get 20 channels.
We get two clearly... four on an exceptionally clear day.

There is a boost cable you can buy, that grabs more channels.

Also: Try moving it to the window.

The next best thing I did, was watch a lot of youtube videos which explained where to put your antenna, how to hook it up, how to get the best reception and the channels you could get.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:08 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
We've been OTA for many years. Very happy. It does matter where you are located and what you want to watch. A couple trite but useful suggestions if you haven't tried yet.

If you get some channels with rabbit ear or similar 'indoor' antennas, consider getting a bigger antenna. As an example the DB2-Antenna is the one we bought years ago. It is in a seldom used bedroom (fortunately at a good reception spot in the house). There may better antennas now(?) and certainly are bigger more powerful ones for more $$$ (I recall a DB4 we considered). Maybe some day we'll try one just to see if we can get the next tier of channels.

Try in different spots in the house, especially near windows and upper floor/attic etc as possible. Just run the cable through the house temporarily to test. If you find a good spot you can worry about hiding the cable.

If the house is already wired for cable in multiple rooms, you can try/test hooking the antenna input in them and let it feed a TV or a splitter. We have multiple rooms (about 8 outlets) connected like this via a splitter in basement that distributes the signal to multiple rooms, some runs over 50'. We do have a signal amplifier at the splitter.

BTW, (it's nice to see) a few of our local OTA channels have been adding sub channels...3. 4, and as many as 6 (but this one includes a few shopping channels). We get over 20 now, without normally rotating the single antenna. We could get more with a better set up, but with Roku and Amazon Prime streaming we have all we care about.

We also are doing our best to keep a couple Windows 7 PCs ... Win Media Center is nice enough DVR and more when combined with a receiver card in PC.

...sadly these items won't work for everyone, and signal strength and available channels will vary a lot. If I assume we saved (conservatively) $75/mo or about $6k (I have no idea of actual savings since we haven't had cable for about 7 years and don't know what it would cost us now). I suppose we could consider that we might not have bought Roku or Amazon Prime...but probably would have anyway.

Good luck...hope it works as well for you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or