U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:26 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times

Advertisements

TWC here in NYC, I don't care for them but I have to admit they've gotten better - wait times on customer service & tech calls have decreased noticeably in the last year. They have also installed the MAX bandwidth in much of the city now but I limit myself to "Extreme" which is "up to" 50mbps. I just need enough for 1 device streaming video & another websurfing.

I am internet only, I ditched the cable tv for roku, hdmi from computer to tv & indoor antenna.

I just tested my download speed & it's coming in a little below 65mbps midday & that's using my newly bought Arris sb6183 modem. I had been charged $66/mo last year & they sent me a notice that they were increasing their modem lease fee + they "noticed" that I wasn't being charged for wifi & would be charged an additional $6/mo for that. (I always had my own wireless router & told them that at the beginning.) So now I was going to be charged almost $77/mo just for a middling tier of internet access. This got me riled up & motivated.

I bought the new high capacity modem on sale + a coupon brought it down to $86 & spent the better part of a weekend, after it was installed with a TWC tech call that got me on the internet, trying to get it to work with my Ooma Telo (phone $3.80/mo) & Airport wifi router, basically a 2 day crash course learning about modems & routers. Got everything working together finally Sunday evening, basically had to get into the router via a utility & set up different protocols for the new modem, not fun.

I then got on the phone with a TW rep & complained about my rate & & got a $30.49/mo rate, I assume for a year... have to watch if it gets slowly nickled & dimed up during the year. I live in an apartment building so am committed to TWC, I can't threaten to jump, & I got the new rate pretty easily so I say try for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 AM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
The area of Florida I live in, I can only get brighhouse for internet. It is very expensive any they sucker you in. The internet is running close to $100 for medium speed,higher price with higher speed. This is an intro price for a year. They include basic cable for this intro for the same price. Next year I will pay regular TV price. My total bill now is $120. It's a ripoff. I will have to go without next year.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:46 AM

103 posts, read 60,205 times
There are two choices in the Rural Area I call home.

Frontier - Unreliable [runs around 25-35mbps] although 19.99/m unlimited for first year, 39.99/m thereafter.
Charter- Higher Speeds up to 60mbps [we run around 50-55] 29.99/m unlimited, no contract, 3 year lock in price.

Last edited by fadeddaisy26; 02-24-2016 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: speeds

Old 02-24-2016, 11:23 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,191,851 times
I pay $40 for AT&T..not sure the speed. I can get Wi-Fi thru my apt complex but I don't trust it with my personal info. I used it once when AT&T was down which was handy and company uses it too.

I've been with AT&T over 10 years and they are not cutting me any deals. Cost goes up every year with no forewarning!

The enjoyment and savings I get from the internet far outweigh the cost for me. I stream Netflix onto my TV and love that. I also get lots of free things in the mail and I make cash taking surveys, not to mention all the coupons I print out.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
If you are using an older modem with TWC that is probably the source of your speed issues. I bought a Motorola 6121 off eBay for $30 and went from 15 Mb to 50 Mb.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I pay only $30 in Chicago for 50mbps internet speed. Granted, I live in a condo high rise where it's typically cheaper to get faster internet. Needless to say, I feel your pain.

The difference is that you live in the Chicago area. When I was in McHenry Co., I was paying a similar amount for either Comcast Xfinity or the AT&T Uverse. Every quarter, my wife would call both companies up and let them tell us how little we would pay the next quarter.

Unfortunately, most of the rest of the country has a single monopoly choice and therefore, in Arizona, I am paying twice as much each month.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
free from google

Old 02-24-2016, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 26,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
free from google
How?

Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
There are two choices in the Rural Area I call home.

Frontier - Unreliable [runs around 25-35mbps] although 19.99/m unlimited for first year, 39.99/m thereafter.
Charter- Higher Speeds up to 60mbps [we run around 50-55] 29.99/m unlimited, no contract, 3 year lock in price.
Those are my exact same options. Except I think Frontier is claiming about half that speed here, and my deal for Charter was $39.99 for one year for 60 Mbps (actual speed is about 64 Mbps). I wish I could have gotten a three year deal like that.

A local Fiber Internet company is a third option. But their pricing and speed seems to be exactly the same as Charter, and until they install the fiber lines into my apartment complex, I don’t think it will do me much good. It would be nice to have that as an option though, so I could switch back and forth between Charter, to get lower rates.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,021 times
$22/mo for 3mbps DSL from Century Link.

I live in town and CL says that's the fastest from them that's available in my neighborhood. I could probably get faster internet from another company but I have not looked into it. It's fast enough for us and the wifi works great for my laptop and phone, we can even stream video on it ok. The regular price is around $45 and when it goes back to that price I call and ask for another promo rate. It's easy to ask because it's so slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or