U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times

Advertisements

Haven't had cable for over a decade now.
DirectTV was upping my rate to $100 while offering the same to new customers for less then $50.
I recall that because I called them up about it and they pretty much pushed me off and wouldn't lower the rate.
So I said goodbye. And 10 years later I'm still getting "Come back to us" postcards from them.

There was a lot more free stuff on the internet back then including Hulu and all the major stations.
Now though they are all connected to the cable companies and/or want to charge you.

I watched all the seasons of Burn Notice on Hulu for free. That was probably the last TV series I watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 AM

9,070 posts, read 9,230,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was a lot more free stuff on the internet back then including Hulu and all the major stations. Now though they are all connected to the cable companies and/or want to charge you.
Service companies naturally want to establish a price point and maintain it. So if I used to get 200 minutes of talk time on my cell phone plan for $30/month, now I get unlimited talk and text for the same $30. That's their idea of progress.

However, if you used to pay $160/month for phone, TV, internet cable plus another $40 for cell phone, they don't want you to pay $30 for just internet, watch an antenna TV, and use free Google Voice for telephone and most wifi, and supplement it with $8 Netflix and $3 month Page Plus Cellular to use cell service when you don't have wifi available.

An industry doesn't voluntarily commit suicide.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,612,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Board games are grossly under-valued as entertainment, mostly - I think - because so many people are paradoxically looking away from human interaction. There are literally tens of thousands of board games, and some of the newer games, especially those coming out of Germany, have replay value that keep them fresh for dozens upon dozens of plays. But they do require you to want to sit down with other human beings and interact.
I used to play board games about 2 to 3 times per week. Started off with Settlers Of Catan, Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne. Then also did Dominion, various deck building games, co-operative games, worker placement games. I got burnt out on some of them, like Settlers and Ticket To Ride, but there were always plenty of other great titles. However, I recently moved to an area where I have very little local gaming. This is after checking on Meetup.com. Conventions require me driving hours, and getting a hotel. Due to this, the value of board games has plummeted for me recently.

Plus, even if folks shop smartly and go for online discounts, another concern is getting folks to spend $30 to $100 per game. Otherwise, it's not so much the human interaction I seek (for example with Ticket To Ride, I've seen 50 minute games of those played, with not 1 word exchanged), but also another thing to do that gets me away from the computer or phone.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,612,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Service companies naturally want to establish a price point and maintain it. So if I used to get 200 minutes of talk time on my cell phone plan for $30/month, now I get unlimited talk and text for the same $30. That's their idea of progress.

However, if you used to pay $160/month for phone, TV, internet cable plus another $40 for cell phone, they don't want you to pay $30 for just internet, watch an antenna TV, and use free Google Voice for telephone and most wifi, and supplement it with $8 Netflix and $3 month Page Plus Cellular to use cell service when you don't have wifi available.

An industry doesn't voluntarily commit suicide.
It is quite the conundrum, as those utility companies would like you to pile it on, but for many folks, their main reason to get internet is so they can get Netflix and HBO Now.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 AM
bUU

11,684 posts, read 8,166,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've seen 50 minute games of those played, with not 1 word exchanged
Then there simply wasn't enough whisky available.

Seriously, we make a point of taking steps that make clear that the gathering is for socialization first, and gaming as a pretense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It is quite the conundrum, as those utility companies would like you to pile it on, but for many folks, their main reason to get internet is so they can get Netflix and HBO Now.
It's only a conundrum in the context of the mistaken belief that there's a free lunch available somewhere.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM

392 posts, read 439,045 times
I work from home so my internet is not only a necessity, it's tax-deductible. We dumped Direct TV about 3 years ago and have a ROKU with subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu. The ROKU itself has over 3000 channels, most free. A lot are religious, but you don't have to add any channel you don't want to. We have about 15 additional channels added including a channel that makes my TV look like a woodburning fireplace, complete with sound effects.

If you have a laptop and a smart TV with the proper outlet on the back, you can hook up the laptop to the TV and use the TV as a giant monitor. You go to whatever you want to watch on the laptop and it automatically goes to the TV. There's a setting for a computer input device on the TV's remote so you can pick the input.

Where I live in Marion County, there are only 2 over-the-air antenna stations available, FOX (ick) and some channel showing 200-year-old movies.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 7 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,035 posts, read 3,614,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Also consider buying your own modem instead of renting.
I choose to rent mine because if anything goes wrong with it, it is the responsibility of my Internet provider, so I would just call them for a free service call or repair. Otherwise, it is my problem and I would have to pay for a repair person to come out and fix the problem.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:45 PM

25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
I've never lived in a home with Cable or Satellite TV...

As a kid I remember when cable came to the area and special signup deals were being offered... my Dad said we are not interested and the basic rate was $7.95 per month... Dad said he had better uses for the $95 a year than to spend it on TV.

I'm a throwback because my TV with Rabbit ears is a 25" Zenith Color Console circa 1980 with Space Command... as long as it works... I'm good... plus it matches my rotary dial phone!

About 51 channels with about 20 in English!

I do have basic DSL which is required for work... no Amazon Prime and anything similar...

You could say I am adverse to recurring monthly charges.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,398,836 times
When you add up the subscription fees, I wonder how much savings actually happens.

Netflix - $8.00
Hulu - $8.00
Amazon Prime - $79 per year, about $7 per month.
High speed Internet suitable for streaming - ~$60.00 per month + taxes.

In my area, cutting the cable means the cable co. cuts your bandwidth cap in half. So if you want the same bandwidth sans TV, you have to get the higher tier internet only package suitable for streaming. Net savings is about $30 a month for no cable TV. $400 a year is no chump change but we're not talking major savings here. The only real way to save is cut your internet too.

In a few more years, internet access will start to get inexorably more expensive. Cable companies will merge with internet companies & monopolize. You'll start to have to pay for data packages similar to cell phone charges. Cable TV delivery is probably within 10 years of fully changing to a data package format, if not less than 10 years.

I live in an area with a monopoly - internet does not get cheaper than about $60. ssdd.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 PM

25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Does anyone have DSL?

I do and it is reasonable... even keep it at the office and so far so good... helps the central office is next door!

For TV good old rabbit ears work superb... I'm a happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living