U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:19 PM

9,088 posts, read 9,250,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Does anyone have DSL?
DSL is pretty slow and expensive. A friend of mine has 1.5 Mbps DSL because she has some idea that it is bad luck to have TV and internet from the same company. I think she pays about $45-$50 a month.

The local cable company sells 25 Mbps for $29.99 the first year , $39.99 the second year and $49.99 the third year. It's possible that year 3 and on out will be slightly more expensive than DSL, but the speed is so much faster. Plus if it is bundled with the TV she may get a discount.

Do you pay a lot less? What speed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:31 PM

25,874 posts, read 49,787,562 times
I'm running an entire Hospital on DSL for $90 per month...

ATT keeps pushing me to switch and even did the install in the MPO at no charge... electrician, equipment, etc.

My reply is how is thing going to save me money and the DSL has been dead reliable for almost 20 years and power outages so far have not affected it.

We do have a radiology group with heavy use that has Comcast... that was an experience because Comcast had to go about a 1/4 mile and under a State Highway when ATT Fiber was already here... the Radiology group has a contract for 7 or 8 other centers... told Comcast to make it happen or they were going to switch all the centers to ATT and miracle of miracle... Comcast did the install in no time.

For me at home... I don't now or have ever had Cable TV and at first is was only offered as part of a bundle...

My tenants drive me crazy... they are always switching... Satellite, ATT, Comcast... voice over IP phones, ATT phones... it does get to be too much.

I will just stick with my Rabbit Ears and Digital Converter.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 732,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm running an entire Hospital on DSL for $90 per month...

ATT keeps pushing me to switch and even did the install in the MPO at no charge... electrician, equipment, etc.

My reply is how is thing going to save me money and the DSL has been dead reliable for almost 20 years and power outages so far have not affected it.

We do have a radiology group with heavy use that has Comcast... that was an experience because Comcast had to go about a 1/4 mile and under a State Highway when ATT Fiber was already here... the Radiology group has a contract for 7 or 8 other centers... told Comcast to make it happen or they were going to switch all the centers to ATT and miracle of miracle... Comcast did the install in no time.

For me at home... I don't now or have ever had Cable TV and at first is was only offered as part of a bundle...

My tenants drive me crazy... they are always switching... Satellite, ATT, Comcast... voice over IP phones, ATT phones... it does get to be too much.

I will just stick with my Rabbit Ears and Digital Converter.
Well you can blame these companies for your tenants driving you crazy. it seems that these companies would rather give out promotions and freebies to new customers to lure them in vs keeping the revenue flowing in from a long time customer and keeping that customer on board with that company as well. wich makes the consumer wind up leaving for the cheapest deals to save money

Old 03-19-2016, 07:45 AM
bUU

11,690 posts, read 8,177,837 times
You cannot blame the companies for that - they're just giving us customers what we want, as demonstrated by which specific business practices do our purchasing behaviors most reward the companies.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 AM

4,480 posts, read 1,741,771 times
To the OP or anyone else, which was mentioned, but just to reiterate - a Digital Converter Box and an indoor Antenna unless you have one on your house - (and need to be able to hook up to your TV), will give you regular Network channels and a bunch of others (some foreign or no one cares about), but are also older sitcoms and movies, not to be confused with ones available with Cable. At least you can watch regular network shows, news and sports. (One here mentioned they tried to watch the Oscars with a service which was not working well, but with this, they could have seen the entire ABC Broadcast with a good picture).

You just need the Converter Box (for whatever it costs now) and an antenna (from even BIG LOTS). Then, you just need to follow instructions to run through the process to "acclimate" the channels available and tuned in - Ta-da. I got in on the free box deal being offered to those with Analog TV's a few years ago, which I have in my bedroom. I get the full range of channels being in a larger city, however have buildings nearby that can interfere with some transmission, then have to adjust the rabbit ears. (Yessss... going back in time... but free). Now, my friend has a roof antenna with using a digital box so he does not have my problem, making these adjustments.

Otherwise, I am mostly using the Livingroom TV and admit, I am hooked on too many shows / channels that cable provides, not that I don't resent what the whole thing has become and "negotiating" with them. (I might consider some of this other stuff, but it sounds complicated and with more services. Also do not want to watch TV on a device). I like a lot of programs and the simplicity of use... OH and gave in to the DVR a while back which I love.... kind of spoiled.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:00 PM

25,874 posts, read 49,787,562 times
I have digital convertor boxes in the Hospital... Comcast wanted a fortune to provide TV to the Hospital waiting room.

As a property manager... all this switching creates a lot of extra work dealing with complaints to access issues.

We are fully considering implementing a switch fee for residents that change service providers which requires us to be involved.

No problem with the initial move in and getting set up... it is just the ones the change every 6 months or annually.

I had one triplex where everyone was on DSL at the time... took a lot to get it as we were really outside the service area as the lines run... so we had a special plan where the residents got the highest speed for the lowest speed price... took several meetings with ATT in the basement and some line improvements.

A few months later one of the tenants goes to Dish... then the other two follow... then they became very unhappy with the broadcast quality in the winter's overcast sky...

So then they all want Comcast which requires Comcast mounting equipment in the basement...

One was so fed up with the high cost of Comcast they wanted to put up an outdoor antenna and use a convertor box... and another wants to go back to ATT...

Life was so much simpler when you simply turned in a service request and the phone was turned on!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,741,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
No antenna. Didn't know they were still made! ;-) Seriously, good books (freebies from Amazon and the public library), and Internet will keep us entertained. We may even break out the board games and have some family fun!
I haven't had TV since 1991. Don't miss it.

If I go some place where one is on, it's incredibly grating and annoying. All that flashing mind numbing propaganda constantly assaulting your brain.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 732,017 times
I found it interesting that even youtube has more subscribers than all of the major networks put together!!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 PM
bUU

11,690 posts, read 8,177,837 times
That's a bit like being surprised that there are more grains of sand than copper pennies - they have nothing at all to do with each other.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 PM

1,033 posts, read 610,538 times
I envy all you folks who can get by using an antenna for over the air tv, or can stream your entertainment via the internet. Where I live I cannot get any over the air tv even if I put up a 100ft outside antenna as I'm surrounded by mountains. As for streaming media, how much streaming can you do with a 40 gig data cap? Yep, that's how much my WISP allows. So I fork out the bucks for Direct tv.

Sigh, maybe someday some fiber company will take pity on us out here in the boondocks and lay some cable. Until then, I'm stuck with satellite and wireless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living