U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,320,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
No antenna. Didn't know they were still made! ;-) Seriously, good books (freebies from Amazon and the public library), and Internet will keep us entertained. We may even break out the board games and have some family fun!
You can get high-definition TV antenna's these days that are amazingly small and will pick up numerous crystal clear TV stations for $20 to $40 dollars. DisableMyCable - Station Finder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 1,730,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I envy all you folks who can get by using an antenna for over the air tv, or can stream your entertainment via the internet. Where I live I cannot get any over the air tv even if I put up a 100ft outside antenna as I'm surrounded by mountains. As for streaming media, how much streaming can you do with a 40 gig data cap? Yep, that's how much my WISP allows. So I fork out the bucks for Direct tv.

Sigh, maybe someday some fiber company will take pity on us out here in the boondocks and lay some cable. Until then, I'm stuck with satellite and wireless.
So, you mean it would not help even with having a Digital Converter Box? An antenna would no longer help without one of those -- just wanted to clarify if you had tried that.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM

8,860 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Not sure if you have cut the TV or just the cable. If the latter, GOOD FOR YOU!

I myself have not yet, but I barely watch anything on cable any more. It is, for right now, a left over from an earlier time. When it comes to the new house, it may be left out...if it is even out there at all. I am hoping that a weather radio will be an acceptable substitute for the cable weather.

As far as books go, I have paperbacks and hardbacks galore, probably enough to last me to the end of my time, probably there will be left overs after that.

My TV still system still exists but it is mostly feed by DVDs and VHS. Most of my VHS are boxed up right now but there were shelves of them. Between those factors and a realization that I really only have time enough each day to watch an hour, maybe two a day, I am pretty well stocked there as well. As I said in another post, I am watching Doctor Who the traditional way, one episode a week.

Finally, my tastes make it possible this way, since most of the modern stuff they show these days I do not bother with at all.

I'm still with the boob box but I hold these words dear, "Well, if I am going to be forced to watch television, may I at least smoke"!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Then there simply wasn't enough whisky available.

Seriously, we make a point of taking steps that make clear that the gathering is for socialization first, and gaming as a pretense.
For some games, socialization doesn't mesh well. Increases downtime, drags out the total play time. Some games unfortunately overstay their welcome that socialization isn't worth it. In those cases, I'd rather just have a social, without the board games, and be able to enjoy more of the company I'm with.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For some games, socialization doesn't mesh well. Increases downtime, drags out the total play time. Some games unfortunately overstay their welcome that socialization isn't worth it. In those cases, I'd rather just have a social, without the board games, and be able to enjoy more of the company I'm with.
The pretext of the game is essential for some to not feel strange about spending time with people who they don't know as well as they would normally know people who they spend time with. Contrast that with television, which never really serves the purpose well, since its pace is not generally controlled by the people watching.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 AM

5,334 posts, read 5,701,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
As often mentioned in the many similar threads here and elsewhere...

Combining antenna with Roku and optionally Amazon Prime brings a lot more to the table at a reasonable cost, especially for those who also use Amazon shopping, books, music, other services.

Just FYI for those who may not be aware...
Pretty much what we do, although I substituted TiVo for Roku and add in Netflix and HBONow (for Game of Thrones mostly) so I do still have some monthly costs. Way cheaper than DirecTV was though.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
The real savings in cutting the cord is NOT in eliminating the cable/satellite bill. It is stopping the ENDLESS stream of commercials and advertising messages encouraging you to consume.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 607,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
So, you mean it would not help even with having a Digital Converter Box? An antenna would no longer help without one of those -- just wanted to clarify if you had tried that.
There are no stations that an antenna could pick up even with a converter box. They are too far away and the mountains block the signals. I went to that antenna search web and it showed that no open signals were available. And while there is cable for tv (not internet) at the road where I live, I am a quarter mile back in from the road so I'd have to bring it in via poles or dig a trench to lay it underground, both expensive. All this and I'm only 3 miles east from main street in a town of 55,000. Now from main street west there are lots of broadband internet availabilities...att dsl, charter cable, verizon fios, etc. My area is the lower economic area. They wish we didn't exist out here. It's where all the dogs bite and all the kids steal lol.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real savings in cutting the cord is NOT in eliminating the cable/satellite bill. It is stopping the ENDLESS stream of commercials and advertising messages encouraging you to consume.
Be careful what you wish for. Without advertising (or much higher direct costs to consumers), television dies. What's worse: Without consumption, the vast majority of readers of this thread would be in far worse economic condition. Consumption fuels our economy. We couldn't sustain such a population without it.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 AM

569 posts, read 336,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Without advertising (or much higher direct costs to consumers), television dies. What's worse: Without consumption, the vast majority of readers of this thread would be in far worse economic condition. Consumption fuels our economy. We couldn't sustain such a population without it.
I would rather break into small communities, when a corp. thinks itself is a necessity.

I'm Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living