Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,838,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
if you know enough about the technology world-- there is more than ROKU-- folks Overseas always leave us behind
Is the 'how' a secret to be kept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 01:06 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,486,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Yeah, youtube is the best channel we have. Netflix is okay, and the over the air antenna gives us 30 channels with plenty of things to watch.
Wow!

We get 5-6.

ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, and I forget what our channel 21 is.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:06 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,838,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I cut the cord 5 years ago and never looked back; but use an antenna that I put in a window (literally balanced between the glass and some blinds with the bottom of it sitting on the top of the lower sash). After blocking shopping stations, religious, non-english speaking channels I get about 40 channels. I paid $25-$35 (can't recall exactly) for the antenna.

Choosing an Over the Air TV Antenna for Free HD Channels

I get great picture quality, but I do have a 55" smart HD LED tv (some things I will splurge on!). I do have it set up to stream, but frankly, have only done so a few times. Just not that interested - mostly bc the idea was to not pay for tv, and the free streaming stuff I've checked out hasn't been of interest to me. However, I've been known to take advantage of the free netflix 2 week promos (when I get a new credit card) and made myself *sick* watching all of Breaking Bad in 2 weeks, and some of Orange is the New Black.

I love my antenna...and free.
As often mentioned in the many similar threads here and elsewhere...

Combining antenna with Roku and optionally Amazon Prime brings a lot more to the table at a reasonable cost, especially for those who also use Amazon shopping, books, music, other services.

Just FYI for those who may not be aware...

Old 03-05-2016, 01:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,693,063 times
I cut out my TV cable about a year ago, kept the cable internet, the lowest tier, bought my own modem and router and watch TV online now. Tried to watch the Oscar on a free streaming site but I guess there were so many people on that it kept freezing so I gave up and watched it online the next day. I have an antenna too, but right now i'm living with a roommate and my room does not have cable.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,526,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
Another channel dumper here. U-verse bundle is now history.

Taxes increase, little luxuries decrease.

We have a goal to secure our retirement years as I don't think SS will be there for us. Taxes are mandatory. TV is not. So long, Rick Grimes and Saul Goodman! It's been nice knowing ya...

Internet stayed - it's our main form of information, entertainment, and for business needs. Short of going to the library, I can't figure a way to dump it, too, and still do everything we must in our modern world.
It's been great since I cut off the TV. Except that my parents gave me a key to their house, which I like to go to, to flip channels and pat myself on the back for getting rid of it.

Put 3/4 of the cost of that TV into a stock that pays dividends. Go share a soda and nachos with your husband with the other 1/4 of it once a month!

Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,748,455 times
Quote:
Another channel dumper here. U-verse bundle is now history.

Taxes increase, little luxuries decrease.

We have a goal to secure our retirement years as I don't think SS will be there for us. Taxes are mandatory. TV is not. So long, Rick Grimes and Saul Goodman! It's been nice knowing ya...

Internet stayed - it's our main form of information, entertainment, and for business needs. Short of going to the library, I can't figure a way to dump it, too, and still do everything we must in our modern world.
lMAO! Rick and Saul are the only remaining reasons I keep cable. Oh- Norma Bates is coming back on tomorrow - so three shows.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,046,420 times
Divorced the cable/sat in Dec. Mounted an antenna in the attic that pulls in - let's say 30+ - do slingtv w added espn pkg. Monthly cost is now ~$77 p/mth. A 50% months savings. Six months out of the year, we will not have sports pkg. I only care about college fball and bball. Sling very easy to cancel and resubscribe, which we just did in Feb because we were out of country.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times
Quote:

So long, Rick Grimes and Saul Goodman! It's been nice knowing ya...

Short of going to the library
Quote:
No antenna. Didn't know they were still made! ;-) Seriously, good books (freebies from Amazon and the public library), and Internet will keep us entertained. We may even break out the board games and have some family fun!

Lily... Rick and Saul are waiting at the library in the form of DVD's and Blu Ray discs. With a computer you can go online with your library card, create an account and inter-loan anything from any library in your County. You may be able to log requests for materials online and simply pick them up when they arrive at your home library.

A rep point for cutting The TV cord for you, I would give another one for that cool username but have to spread a few around before giving another one.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,679,269 times
Also consider buying your own modem instead of renting.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM

15,752 posts, read 20,340,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster
So long, Rick Grimes and Saul Goodman! It's been nice knowing ya...

You can stream them from Amazon for $3 an episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living