U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:48 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,040,812 times

Advertisements

OP post a bunch of new threads but doesn't come back and give any answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:39 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
If OP lives in his car, what does he do for eating/cooking? And what does he do for plumbing? He says that he takes showers at the gym - what does he do for a bathroom? And where does he park his car?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,779,994 times
Reminds me of this guy. Google employee lives in a truck in the parking lot - Business Insider But something tells me that the OP isn't making the kind of money that this Google employee is making.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM

115 posts, read 85,167 times
In such a terrible economy I'd imagine more people are looking into doing this. Not having to pay rent/mortgage would free up a lot of cash for most people. I've thought about doing this myself. I could live in the back of a cheap cargo van if I needed to. Just place a sleeping bag back there. Food could be cooked on a little burner. Keeping the van air-conditioned would be one of the hardest parts to figure out. Batteries would need to be installed. And places where to park it without being bugged by cops. I'm interested in how you have worked out all the technicalities.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:38 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,608,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I disagree, THIS level of "frugality" is being just plain cheap. Frugal would be living in a small place with 3 or 4 roommates. Being cheap is having a job and CHOOSING to live in your car and shower at a public gym which is obviously not what the showers are intended for.

This is all assuming the OP HAS a job. Unless they are homeless, then it's just out of necessity.
3 to 4 roommates? That sounds like such a hassle on its own. One person doesn't cough up rent, and now you need to start from square one again, finding someone to fill the space.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
3 to 4 roommates? That sounds like such a hassle on its own. One person doesn't cough up rent, and now you need to start from square one again, finding someone to fill the space.
You can all sign a lease. I had 5 roommates at one time and did just fine. 3 to 4 roommates are QUITE common in major cities. Hassle aside, what the OP is suggesting is illegal and morally wrong.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM

9,271 posts, read 4,734,254 times
I know somebody who lived out of her car at my 24-hour fitness, she got involved in a car accident made it hard for her to work. But other than that she looked normal to me.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,916,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I disagree, THIS level of "frugality" is being just plain cheap. Frugal would be living in a small place with 3 or 4 roommates. Being cheap is having a job and CHOOSING to live in your car and shower at a public gym which is obviously not what the showers are intended for.

This is all assuming the OP HAS a job. Unless they are homeless, then it's just out of necessity.
There's also a big difference being "just plain cheap" and being mentally ill. Choosing to live in one's car when one can afford to live in some kind of real housing borders on mental illness IMO. Since the OP hasn't come back to answer any questions, we can't really answer his question.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
There's also a big difference being "just plain cheap" and being mentally ill. Choosing to live in one's car when one can afford to live in some kind of real housing borders on mental illness IMO. Since the OP hasn't come back to answer any questions, we can't really answer his question.
And those who want to live in a vehicle should have an RV at least, that what they're for...

Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM

9,271 posts, read 4,734,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
And those who want to live in a vehicle should have an RV at least, that what they're for...
An RV is a luxury. I know of a guy who made more than $120k who lived on an RV before he retired. He couldn't afford a house in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living